General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 11:43 AM   #1  

Thumbs down Hypnosis

Has anyone tried Hypnosis? And if so did it work? There's a seminar coming into town and I was curious if it did work. It claims it will eliminate cravings.
Old 10-03-2001, 12:25 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default I did...

...but I didn't go to one of those seminars where they have dozens - sometimes hundreds - of people attempt to be 'hypnotized' by one speaker, at one time.

I did it privately/semi-privately back in '96.

The place I went to had a very strict diet (Dr. McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program) that you had to follow. There were about 10 other gals in my class (which met once or twice a week). Depending on the hypnotherapist (there was a LOT of turnover at the place I went to before it went out of business) some weeks it helped, others it didn't. Included in the cost of the hypnosis sessions was a set of tapes, we were required to listen to a tape each day (preferably in the morning).

Success rate - very low. I actually lost about 35 pounds but gained most of it back when I started eating normally again (the McDougall plan is VERY STRICT - probably one of the most restricted eating plans out there). Most of the other gals ended up not losing weight, gaining weight or just bagging the whole thing because it was so difficult. In fact, if memory serves, there was only one other gal there who lost a significant amount of weight, and I lost touch with her after I stopped attending so don't know if she was able to keep the weight off.

I do know a couple of people who used hypnosis to stop smoking and I do feel it has some benefits...but mostly to relax and reduce stress. You also have to have the proper mindset. But to make positive changes in your life, whether it be weight loss or whatever, if you DON'T have the determination and mental attitude in the first place, you will not succeed anyway IMHO.
Old 10-04-2001, 03:37 PM   #3  

Thumbs down

Hi Mrs. Jim,
Thanks for responding. I read your bio-congradulations on the weight loss. Your wedding picture is absolutely beautiful.
I was only half thinking about doing it. I've been pretty good lately about watching what I'm eating and staying away from fast food--they are so bad. I think if I keep that up I'll be okay.
Old 11-06-2001, 12:07 PM   #4  

I started hypnosis last night - it's not a group or semi-private thing, but strictly private. Can't say if it will make a difference over the long term, but less than 24 hours later I think I can say it is. When I left the centre last night I stopped at the grocery store, bought a big bag of apples, bananas and light frozen meals for my lunches for the balance of the week. When we had dinner, I stopped eating when I felt full.

The suggestions the hypnotist gave were the basic weight loss principles, drink water, make it your favourite drink, enjoy fruits and vegetables, chew slowly, etc. and she stated that I knew what to do, but I think getting the subconscious suggestion help.

I went to a place called Positive Changes and I'm looking forward to completing my three month program.
Closed Thread