Old 12-01-2006, 11:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/199/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Veggie meat products??

I was grocery shopping last week, and I always buy the morning star sausage patties(Thanks Joni for that suggestion) and notices there are a whole line of Veggie meats to choose from. Can you ladies hsare with me the one that we can have, what ones you like, and the quantities that are allowed?
Example, I saw they have chicken nuggets, do those count as a protien and a starch, or are they just protien, and how many can you ahve. I'm on the purple plan.

Thanks for your impute

Candace
cevert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:08 PM   #2  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Candace - Cassi will know the best answer to this since she is also on Purple and goes to a Corporate center that is way on top of things.

I don't do a lot of veggie meats, and I only have the gold/blue books to quote from, but in my books, any frozen meal counts as 1 protein and 1 starch and may be used up to five times per week. My book includes Vegetarian entrees from Amy's Kitchen, Cascadian Farms Veggie Bowls, Cedarlane, Morningstar, and Yves Veggie Cuisine. Not one of the frozen meal listings show chicken nuggets, so I can't really tell you how to count them (personally, I would count 1 serving as a protein and a starch).
On my plan, any variety of veggie burger or hot dog equals one protein; I think on purple plans 1 protein equals gets 2 veggie burgers.
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

From the purple book:

Vegetarian burger, any variety - 2
Vegetarian burger crumbles - 1 2/3 cup
Vegetarian chicken nuggets, PLAIN - 6 nuggets
Vegetarian hot dog, any variety - 2

At the beginning of the Vegetarian protein section is the following:
"For clients who eat a half protein in the morning, you may also use 2 links of vegetarian breakfast sausages (low-sodium preferred)."

Last edited by bizlawchik; 12-01-2006 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Changed "lings" to "links" for Joni :)
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:08 PM   #4  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

Cassi--how do you prepare your nuggets?
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:32 PM   #5  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

What are "lings" ? haha I guess they are links in a ring shape.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:50 PM   #6  

Lea Ann - Last night I just microwaved them. I've also put them in the oven. Either way they seem to come out OK. I'm a sucker for McDonald's Hot Mustard Sauce so whenever DS gets chicken nuggets (which has been a lot lately with the kitchen thing) I will have them give me the hot mustard for his sauce. I like to dip my veggie nuggets in it. I count the sauce as a condiment or two. The whole cup has 45 calories, but I use no more than half. I've also put them in tortillas and pitas for a chicken sandwich or wrap.

Morningstar also makes buffalo wings, but they're not on the plan. But I've added my own wing sauce and dipped in ff blue cheese too. But I think they are high in sodium so I don't have them all the time. (Everything good on this program is high in sodium, have ya noticed?)
Old 12-01-2006, 02:51 PM   #7  

Joni - I edited the lings for you!
Old 12-01-2006, 04:02 PM   #8  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

It's all about me...as it should be! Now if Lea Ann would just fix her avatar like I asked her, I'd really feel special.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:09 PM   #9  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

Joni--baby!! I couldn't til I got home--so here you go!! Anything for you. And what was with the "loverly" in another post? Are you trying to trickerate us?
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:52 AM   #10  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

I'm happy now; thanks!
(Not sure about the "loverly" reference; I'll have to go find it and figure out what I said).
Old 12-03-2006, 03:39 PM   #11  
Holly on LAWL

S/C/G: 148/143/124

Height: 5'4"

I consider myself a vegetarian ( I do eat fish, eggs and dairy). I love the Boca Burger Crumbles and I use them anywhere you would use ground hamburger like chili, spagetti sauce, hamburger helper (Not OP but my kids and DH like it!) The Boca Burger Crumbles are lower in fat and calories than the Morningstar Griller Crumbles variety and Wal-Mart sell Boca for less than Morningstar. When you use it in a recipe, you can't tell the difference so I usually use the Boca variety.

With respect to the veggie chicken nuggets, I interpreted Plain to me mean no breading. Quorn makes a "naked" cutlet and Morningstar also has "Chicken" strips that do not have breading.

DH is also a vegetarian and he likes Loma Linda's Meatless Swiss Stake. I count one stake (that is the correct spelling on the can!) as a veggie burger. It tastes like a salsberry steak and would make a really yummy dinner paired with some califlower and a side of green beans. You could even spoons some of the gravy onto your mashed califlower! Talk about comfort food on a cold day.

It is sold in a can and I found it in my Kroger's Natural Food section. It is manufactured by Worthington Foods Inc ( I believe that is the same company as Morningstar Farms)

Nutritional Value Per "Stake"
120 Calories
6 grams fat (1 gram Sat. Fat;3.5 gram Polyun Sat ;1.5 Mono Un Sat)
430 mgs Sodium
8 grams carbs
4 grams fiber
9 grams protein

I LOVE the Morningstar Farms Veggie "Chicken" and "Beef" Strips and use them all the time in Stir Frys, Fajitas or anyplace you would normally use chicken breast or pieces of chicken.
holly321 is offline   Reply With Quote