Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 11-30-2006, 03:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Default Forgot how good oranges were!

I hadn't eaten an orange for about 8 or 9 months until today. I always just do 3 meals a day, but I thought it would be good to add an afternoon snack becaus I usually do start to feel hungry around 3PM. I usually just wait until dinner to eat again. It occurred to me that oranges might be a good snack, being both low cal and healthy. I bought some large navel oranges. After I ate just one, I was stuffed! It's only been about 30 minutes, so I'll see how long I stay full, but I felt like I had eaten a whole meal! It was actually kind of work eating it, too -- with the fibrous nature, chewing and pulling it apart! I felt full AND worn out after eating it. GREAT SNACK!

Unfortunately, a little expensive...$1.49 a pound and 6 oranges were almost 5 pounds. They did have some cheaper ones, but they just didn't look as plump and good! I may have to cut back though if I start doing an orange a day regularly!
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I've felt that way about a few foods. I shiver now when I think of how processed the diet had become that I was feeding my family!
It's a bit of a learning process but MAN! some foods have fabulous textures and flavours ... just plain!

The nice thing about oranges is that they get to be quite cheap around Christmas.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

It's almost tangelo season - my favorite citrus
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:23 PM   #4  
*meow*

Height: 5'7"

I'm eating one right now!

~jess~
JLynne126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:32 PM   #5  

Forgot to mention I had a big surprise. The sign above the oranges read: Florida Navel Oranges. When I got home, I cut it open and it was PINK-RED! Not as red as a blood orange, but definitely NOT what I expected. I wondered if I had picked up a grapefruit instead...but wait...it looked like a navel orange on the outside! I then looked at the sticker and it said "Florida Red Navel Orange."

It was a surprise, but a good one! I've had blood oranges, but never a red navel! It was juicy, sweet, and yummy!
Old 11-30-2006, 05:27 PM   #6  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara D View Post
Unfortunately, a little expensive...$1.49 a pound and 6 oranges were almost 5 pounds. They did have some cheaper ones, but they just didn't look as plump and good! I may have to cut back though if I start doing an orange a day regularly!
That's only about $1.25 per day when you look at it that way instead of the price of an individual fruit. I wish my tree would hurry up and produce some.

I started craving an orange as soon as I read your post.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:28 PM   #7  
it's always something

I've never heard of a red navel, Tara, I'll look for those! I love blood oranges, but will take any variety of orange.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:29 PM   #8  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
I started craving an orange as soon as I read your post.
Me too
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:40 PM   #9  

I know it's not much money cbmare, but I'm not working now, and have a grocery budget of $20/week, so this was a major splurge...but a worthwhile one, at least this one time!
Old 11-30-2006, 06:43 PM   #10  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara D View Post
I know it's not much money cbmare, but I'm not working now, and have a grocery budget of $20/week, so this was a major splurge...but a worthwhile one, at least this one time!
Oh. I totally understand that. Perhaps you can go to a farmer's market over the weekend. Sometimes they have fruit that they put aside because it needs to be used within a day or so. You could buy some of those rather cheaply, eat them over the weekend or by Monday. We've found red bell peppers for a dime each that way.

I still want an orange.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:22 PM   #11  

Oh, I agree, a really good orange is one of the best things on Earth! LOL, even mediocre oranges are pretty good to me.

I wouldn't do the same snack every day, though. That's a way to get tired of it. I think one of the reasons your first orange tasted so good was that you hadn't had one in so long.

I really liked your perception of the peeling and separating the orange being part of the process of eating it. Like the Japanese tea ceremony. That perception changes it from being a real pain (which is how I usually view preparing an orange), to being an activity. Orange appreciation, like a mindfulness meditation.
Siena1383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:11 PM   #12  

Siena:

I'm kind of a creature of habit! I know it's weird! I've eaten the samething for breakfast every day for 2 years, and the same thing for lunch every day for 4 months! I also have been rotating the same two dinners for a couple months! If I find something I like, I eat it routinely. I feel like my body knows what to expect, and I feel like my digestive system is more at ease! I eat out once a month or so, but besides that...it's pretty much the same when I'm in town! Thanks for the suggestion, though!
Old 11-30-2006, 08:52 PM   #13  

We like oranges too. I peeled two this morning before I got to eat the third. Pesky kids ;-)
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:00 AM   #14  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

*wanders off to fruit bowl*

Part of the pleasure of eating oranges, or any citrus, is the smell. I love love love the tangy scent. You've made me peel a tsatsuma (help me British type people - did I spell that correctly? They're like tangerines only smaller and sweeter) when I was considering caving in and having some crisps!

Yummy! That was really nice and actually invigorating. Now I feel like finishing putting up my Yule tree!
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote