Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 05:28 PM   #1  
Tired of lettuce!

Height: 6 flippin' feet tall!

Default my neighbor who stuck his foot in his mouth, but in a sweet way...

Hey chickies!
I was walking in my neighborhood teh other day, and my neighbor, Bob (in his mid 70's) called me over. He invited me inside so I could chat with him and his wife, who is disabled and is in bed a lot. We got to talking and the they both said I looked great after losing weight. Then Bob turned to his wife and said, "Hey honey, remember when we saw Jess at the store last year and I said, man, she really let herself go? Well, she looks good now, huh?"

CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT????? I have a good sense of humor and I laughed my head off--he didn't realize what he said, but his poor wife was mortified! I told her I understood he was trying to compliment me and she calmed down, but this cracked me up the rest of the day. I had to share this...
Old 11-29-2006, 05:38 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Oy. Well, at least if he's going to put his foot in his mouth, he's doing it AFTER you've lost the weight. I mean, hearing that a year ago might have been have been really hurtful, but hearing it now I bet feels good - you KNOW how much better you look, and he confirmed it!

Sometimes people need to think a bit more.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:44 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

That is funny. I'm sitting here laughing. It's what one would call a back-handed compliment. But like mandalinn said at least he waited to tell you that you let yourself go AFTER you had already turned the tables around. Too funny. And oh yeah I can hardly wait to get old so I too can walk around with my foot implanted firmly in my mouth. Something to look forward to. Not.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:43 PM   #4  
Jennifer

S/C/G: 235/192/170

Height: 5'7"

I had a similar thing happen to me recently...

I work at an oncology office, and a friend of the family came in for her appt...however, she didn't know I had recently started working there. I said hi to her, and she looked alittle unsure...so I asked her if she knew who I was. She said she thought she did...she thought she knew me from the Relay for Life..I said "No, I'm so & so's daughter"...she looked me up and down and said "OMG you've lost like 50lbs!!".....so needless to say, I was on cloud 9....here's the similar part. She goes home, tells her hubby who she saw, he says "Oh yeah, the heavy set one"....She said he'd better be careful next time he see's me, he might not recognize me either. (I plan to see them this weekend at a fancy holiday party...can't wait to strut that black dress )

Note: On WW I'm down what you see on my ticker, but in all I started at 235...so I am close to 50 But not yet! So that compliment was AWESOME!
Old 11-29-2006, 07:08 PM   #5  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Awesome compliments ladies! I have had a few coworkers who I had known for years NOT recognize me since I lost 66 pounds! One girl got on the bus a few weeks ago and she didn't even look my way or say hi. I felt kind of bad so next time I seen her I said hi. She was like who are you? hahahaha When I told her she had a good laugh. She said she had not recognized me. We only worked together for about 6 months. Another friend who we used to hang out once in a while, we don't see much of each other and I hadn't seen her since registering the kids for school in August. She seen i had lost but it was about 30 by then. Anyhow I was walking down the street and she was in her van and she pulled in the parking lot and was so shocked to see me! She said, her daughter said mom! that is Sarah! and she was like, no it isn't!! hahahaha She was so shocked she wanted to know what I have been doing etc.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:58 PM   #6  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Hood-Hee! I'm glad you had a good sense of humor about it; that's the type of comment that could really hurt and send one into a bit of a tailspin.

Jasmine- I can't WAIT for those moments!!! I haven't seen a lot of my friends in a while, so I'm really looking forward to their reactions when I do see them!
Old 12-01-2006, 08:52 AM   #7  
People call me tiny now!

S/C/G: 190/*see ticker*/145

Height: 5'5"

OMG! I would have been so embarrased. It's great that you're able to laugh about it. <3
Old 12-01-2006, 12:23 PM   #8  
Eleny

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

That is a wonderful compliment . I would of laughed about it to, and felt incredible knowing that I had turned myself around I really can't wait to get there!
Old 12-01-2006, 08:41 PM   #9  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

theobviouschild:

It is a GREAT feeling!
Old 12-01-2006, 09:51 PM   #10  
Stinger

S/C/G: 0/0/0

Height: 5'5

To hoodj0080 and AJ's Mommy I know that feels great. I want to have that happen again.

I had a funny experience like yours to share. About 15 years ago (I am showing my age) I had lost around 50 lbs. My husband and I went to a wedding and saw old friends (John and Dawn). We had not seen them since I lost weight.

When I said 'Hi' to Dawn she looked at me like who is this person speaking to me. It never dawned on me that she didn't know who I was...I thought maybe she was in a bad mood.

Meanwhile...My husband and her husband, John where standing together talking...about what I had no idea, until I got closer. They were talking about this hot babe (me)...now I was coming closer and my husband continued saying yea she is hot...bla bla bla...(it was obvious they were talking about me). I walked up to my husband and laid big a kiss on him. I thought John was going to fall over...his eyes were as big as saucers.

John did not know it was me. Here he and my husband were talking about how hot I was yet my husband did not realize that John did not know that it was me. He didn't know what to think when some 'strange woman' came up and kissed his married friend. I have never laughed so hard in all my life. Now I know why his wife seemed so offhanded to me.

Just to let all you girls know I am back on the heavy side and things do change. I cannot wait until no one recognizes me again.

TwoPeasInAPod
Old 12-03-2006, 11:23 AM   #11  
Tired of lettuce!

Height: 6 flippin' feet tall!

Twopeas, that is awesome! It gave me a great big smile. I can't wait for that to happen to you agian either
Closed Thread