Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-19-2006, 08:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Default What keeps you on track?

Hi everyone. I've lost about 43 pounds since February and have been doing a lot of thinking about how I'm going to maintain after I get down to my goal. I'm having one of those days where I feel like I could eat everything in sight. I know that if I do I will regret it in a big way tomorrow when it's time to jump on the scale. So what keeps you eating healthy when you're having one of the days and are tempted to go buy a bag of peanut M&Ms or make a batch of cookies and chow down on dough?
Here's what has helped me so far:
1. Planning a yummy, healthy dinner for my family, such as turkey Italian sausage and peppers or taco salad or turkey brats and brocolli salad. When I know I'm cooking something tasty, I am less likely to eat junk food because I don't want to spoil my dinner. And who wants to cook when you're full?
2. Remembering what it felt like to get up in the morning and tug on too tight jeans and wish I could fit into smaller, cuter stuff.
3. Remembering how miserable I feel before a doctor's appointment where I have to get on the scale. I completely stop thinking about the health issues I want to discuss with my doc and literally panic about that scale.
4. Having one or two or even three 100 calorie snacks, such as string cheese, tapiocca pudding, hot chockolate with marshmallows, berry applesauce, microwave popcorn or pretzels, or a Pria bar.
5. Going shopping for something I need in my new smaller wardrobe, such as new workout pants, dress socks, a white top, a black jacket, new undies, etc. I don't have much to wear right now so I need a lot of stuff!
So what helps you stay on track?
Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:00 PM   #2  

First of all, BIG congrats on your weight loss!

You already touched on one of my biggest strategies - visualizing the future. I think ahead to what I'm most likely going to feel like if I give in to temptation - how I'm going to feel miserably full, how disappointed and out of control I'm going to feel after the indulgence, what it's going to feel like to see a gain on the scale or have my pants be too snug, etc. Or, on the positive side, how strong and healthy I'm going to feel if I make the decision that is kinder to my body, or how wonderful it is to have a bit of a bag to my jeans.

In addition to thinking ahead, I plan ahead. I plan my food, exercise and strategies around possible challenges. Things tend to go smoothly if I don't give myself much opportunity to make decisions on the fly.

Of course, no one strategy works 100% of the time. One of my biggest maintenance lessons has been that you don't have to wait until the next Monday to get back on track. A day isn't wasted just because of one goof. You can jump right back on board with the determination that the remainder of the day will be better.
karynlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I just never want to go back to the heavy, unhappy, unhealthy person I was. I try to make the best decisions I can and not beat myself up if things occasionally go off plan. I still don't buy any junk for the house. I still don't eat the following - fast food, packaged baked goods, sugary soda, junk food. I try to make sure I have a healthy breakfast/lunch everyday. I'm still aware of portion sizes, I always order the small now. I take the stairs at work.

I got a tattoo on my back that says "Dripping water can eat through stone" to remind me of the hundreds of decisions I make every day to stick with my healthier lifestyle.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:52 AM   #4  

My new abilities. I love doing the things that I can do now that I could not do before. Right now, it's lifting, swimming, and running. But it's changed many times over the last year. And there is more that I want to do in the future, now that I can.

If I do eat something that I shouldn't, it feels bad. If I drink wine, I don't like the feeling I get. Same thing if I eat fudge. That limits how much fudge and wine I consume. I've already lost the weight. I still eat well because I want to feel well. At this point, it isn't a matter of willpower. I am just doing what seems logical to me.

This may change in the future. I'm new at maintenance.
MissDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:13 AM   #5  

Thanks, everyone. Karynlee: Thanks for the big congrats. You've had an awesome loss as well! What you said about not waiting unitl Monday to get back on track is going to be key for me. I'm so glad you pointed that out. In the past, I've always let one goof up through me off for days, weeks, even years. I can't do that anymore. Yesterday I splurged a bit too much on pepper jack cheese and crackers. I'm not going to beat myself up about it. Today, I'm back to my healthy eating, no ifs, ands or buts about it.
I'd love to hear what others do. I thought of a couple more things: I watch Fit TV or read health and fitness magazines to get my head back into the right mindset.
Have a good day everyone!
Pam
Old 11-20-2006, 01:54 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

Pam, go take a look at the Thin for Life discussion on the Maintainers Library Board. Lots of good ideas there.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:18 PM   #7  
Twin Mommi

Pam first let me say congrats... congrats to everyone!

I started maintenance just last week. I have lost 50 lbs. and I am very proud of myself. But I am soo surprised that I can still fall off the wagon so easy... to the tune of gaining in a about a month 7 lbs. Why would I do this??? I worked so hard to get here! I am disgusted with myself... I am determined not to do the yo yo thing again!! I love the way I look.

It is a wonder to me that I can be so driven and focused but yet be so weak as well! I don't know why I am eating things I know I should not. I joined the program because of the accountability ... I said I would do it and I did it and it seems that now that I did it... I think maybe I can cheat etc.... I cannot this has to be a life change for me...

is anyone out there in this boat... I DO NOT want to gain I need a kick in the pants! I am getting inspired by everyone's input ... but I was just wondering if there is anyone out there with some good words of wisdom.

thank you

Shari
sskinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:16 AM   #8  

Hi Shari. Oh boy, do I know how you feel. I have been down the road that you are on before, and it's painful. You can do this and get back to where you were. Try to focus on what made you decide to lose in the first place. For me, it was that feeling of being so discouraged when I got up in the morning and had to find something to wear. All my clothes were tight and I didn't ever want to go out. Find whatever it was that motivated you to lose and focus on that. Also, try not to think too much about it. Just start eating healthy again and don't even let your mind consider eating anything else. Have lots of healthy foods and snacks in the house so you have plenty to choose from, and get rid of all the crap. I hope this helps! It's so hard, and I am going to be working on maintaining soon and I know it's going to be the hardest part of my journey. Good luck!
Pam