Old 11-14-2006, 01:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/199/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Elliptical Machine??!!

I am considering ordering myself a Nordic Track Elliptical Machine. I would have to buy it on credit, and the payment would be less than my gym membership each month.($50)(I only use the elliptical at the gym, due to health reasons) I however, don't go to the gym very often becasue it's out of my way, and I use the "I have no time" excuse all the time. So here's my question...
Do any of you gals out there own your own big expensive peices of excercise equipment, and do you use it often? I look at my success so far, and wonder how much more I could have lost if I had been excercising regularly.
Any comments are appreciated.

THANKS,
Candace Evert
cevert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:25 PM   #2  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Candace........I have been wondering the SAME exact thing.....but a treadmill is what I have been thinking of. I, too, would have to buy on credit, and I have a gym membership that is $72 a month. My concern is......my gym membership is at the YMCA, and it is a family membership. There are a lot of things there my kids can do....however......I NEVER get there........it is out of my way, and it pretty much just sucks trying to get 5 kids ready to go anywhere. And, when I was going, the daycare wan't really up to my standards of acceptability. Ok, the daycare itself was fine......it was the crabby staff. Anyway.........I asked my DH what he thought about trading the gym expense for a treadmill.......and we just cannot decide. I so do not want to spend the $$$$ if it is just going to sit in my house and collect dust.

So, ladies........do you use your equipment????
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:27 PM   #3  
Barb on LAWL

Height: 5'3"

I have an elliptical machine and a treadmill. I love it. I use it 3 times a week especially now that it is cold outside and I dotn excerise outside. I watch food tv when I am doing it. I know that is weird but it is my favorite channel. I like the shows. I think that if it is going to cost you the same as what you pay for the gym and you go there for that then do it. I know some friends that need to go to the gym to excerise it forces them to do it. I like the convience of doing it at home.
Barb316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:36 PM   #4  
Nancy is on the go again

S/C/G: 190/ticker/140

Height: 5'3'

I just bought a used treadmill from one of my co-workers for $150. Half of the price she paid for the thing when she got it last year. She didn't use it much, and pretty much sat in her closet this whole year. I thought it was a good deal. Anyways, had it since Sunday, and so far so good. I put 2 miles on it every day. Eventually, I'll be going up to 3 miles a day. I've been walking on my lunch hours till now, and very excited that with the treadmill at home, I can use my lunch hours to do other stuff like run errands for example...
LittleBlueCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I have an ellipitical and i used it 5 days a week until it recently broke...they are pricy to fix...this is a rebok one and it has broken twice now and each time was over $100 to fix. So i plan on getting it fixed BUT i will have to wait until after christmas...so for now i am going to the gym, but i LOVE my elliptical when it is working...i use it ALL the times, especially on weekends when i cant make it to the gym.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:58 PM   #6  

Would I be wise to get hte 2 year warranty from Nordic track then??
Old 11-14-2006, 02:08 PM   #7  
Post-Master

so is an elliptical better than a treadmill? i do not have a lot of experience on the elliptical.......but i love the treadmill. Also, my kids will (the big ones) want to use this equipment.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I have a Nordic Track ski machine that is now about 10 years old. It's not electronic, but I've never had to replace any parts. I used it almost daily a few years back when I lost a lot of weight. I use it from time to time now (during the summer when it's too hot to go outside to exercise) and I look forward to using it again in 1 month (when DD gets her drivers license and I no longer have to spend an hour in the car taking her to school each morning). I never really know if warranties are worth it or not, but with an electrical machine that will get heavy use, it might be worth the extra $$.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:45 PM   #9  

I love the elliptical, because there is no pressure put on your joints. It's kinda like running or walking on air. I have problems with my joints due to Lupus, so I have to do very low impact workouts. You however, don't lose out on the intesity of your workouts, they will give you better results than the treadmill, becasue they also give you an upper body workout. I am a firm beleiver in these. You can do comparisons of rpoducts on Nordictrack.com, if you want to look into it further. I applied for their credit, and I was approved no problem.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:33 PM   #10  
Post-Master

so i take it you ordered it then, candace........
Old 11-14-2006, 06:53 PM   #11  
Kristen-LAWL

S/C/G: 251/215/155

Height: 5 8 1/2"

Hi Candace
I have an elpitical in our basement... we took out some play space and it fits akwardly under our low ceilings but we can use it. We bought it in March and I can tell you 100% I never got on it until I started LAWL at the end of the month. I have two little ones too so can never get time for exercise until they go to bed at night. I jump (or throw ) myself on and right now I'm doing 20 minutes a day. When I started I could only do 8. I was on it every day this weekend and today is my first day off. I'm not sure if it helped but I really wanted something in the house with the winter coming and being limited with mothering duties.
You are doing great so far!
KrispieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:30 AM   #12  

Yes, I will be ordering this, but I will be waiting till after christmas. I would rather not, but financially, I don't want to take on another financial responsibility till these darned holidays are over. Don't get me wrong, I love the holidays, but they drain your pockets like mad.

Thanks for the input ladies.

Candace
Old 11-16-2006, 11:34 AM   #13  
Jamie

S/C/G: 169.5/147.8/140

Height: 5'7

I bought a treadmill the being of the year I used it 5 to 6 times a week for about 5 to 6 months till I hurt my foot then it took me a while to get back on it. I'm still trying to get myself back on the thing. this week I got on it 2times and planing on getting on later today.
momofbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:22 PM   #14  
Candice on LAWL

S/C/G: 242/221/under 200!

Height: 5'6"

I wish we had the space for one of these. I have been wanting one.
I saw some really nice ones at our local costco. I think they were called Life something. DH got on it for a few min to mess around and he look so tired after LOLOLOL
Candiflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:53 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
I wish we had the space for one of these. I have been wanting one.
I saw some really nice ones at our local costco. I think they were called Life something. DH got on it for a few min to mess around and he look so tired after LOLOLOL
There are the ones that fold up if you are interested. I haven't used one of those personally, but some of the bigger brand names usually have a fold up version of most of their stuff.....so I would think that they are good quality. I have cross-trainer and I MADE room for it, I loved using it at the gym and knew that I would get a lot of use out of it if I had one at home. I have to move it away from the wall to use it and put it back when I'm done, but so worth the trouble!!!!!!
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote