Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2001, 12:55 PM   #1  

Default WW weight goals

I'm toying with seeing my doctor about lowering my weight goal to a weight that would be within my comfort zone. I voiced that I feel the levels set by WW are a tad low and the leader agreed...based on bone structure for one thing. Its rather unfair to set a number without taking in other aspects than the scale numbers. She was very understanding and I appreciated that.
My doctor will hopefully agree to this , he is very supportive. I don't want to get discouraged and start starving to meet the weight they say I need to reach.
I know ME and that scares me. I've been eating so healthily and am down 40 pounds since May 7. I'm personally within 7 pounds of being at a weight I feel I COULD maintain and still eat healthily and OP. Have any of you taken this step or do you feel the weight suggested is good for you ? I'd appreciate the feedback.
Don't get me wrong...I'm not trying to cop out. I want this to be for life and it will be if it is realistic for me.For the first time in my life I'm eating healthy and losing weight almost effortlessly thanks to the WW 123 plan...I want maintenance to be good for me as well so it will be long term.
I've been up and down all my life on plans that weren't for me...this time has GOT to be different and if my goal is good for me that can happen.
Old 09-28-2001, 01:37 PM   #2  

I think you should do what you are comfortable with. If your doctor agrees with you, that's all the confirmation you need that the weight you choose is right for you. If it should happen that you lose a bit more, fine. BUT if you pick a weight that is too low to be realistic, perhaps the prospect of being over your goal will keep you from regularly attending meetings as you should once you reach lifetime. Gee, I wonder how I know this?
Old 09-28-2001, 02:32 PM   #3  

HI I too think you should do what is best for YOU.Sometimes we get carried away with the numbers game and forget what is important and that is to be able to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Good for you and a great weight loss. You give the rest of us inspiration.
Old 09-28-2001, 03:40 PM   #4  

Bumby...your reply about my choosing a goal too low made me re-read my posting...I am such a goof at times and should have proof read .
I want my goal to be HIGHER than the suggested WW weight . You voiced exactly what I was trying to say...IF I strive to get as low as the book says I know I won't be able to maintain it for long and that is not what this whole investment in ME is all about. My goal is to get to a weight I am happy with by following the WW 123 points and making that a life long committment.
I thank both you and Windwood for replying to me so soon after my posting...NOW that I've cleared my error up ...do you agree with my having the goal weight raised abit higher and not see that as a cop out ?
Old 09-28-2001, 03:46 PM   #5  

Magpie, I understood you! I am saying that if you go for the weight that WW says you should, that might be too low! Pick the weight you think you can attain and maintain. Take it from me. I wanted to get to 130, eventually raised that to 135, worked like crazy to take off the last 5, and immediately was back up again! I've been AT goal for a cumulative total of...maybe a month? But 5# over, I've been stable for a loooong time, if you count all that time I took getting there. I've been at THIS weight for nearly 2 years! Now, if only I'd made this my goal, I could have been going to meetings every week for free and feeling like a success, instead of avoiding them for >1 year and feeling rather sheepish when I post here. Now, given that I lost 87 lbs, I feel that maintaining 82 of those lost lbs is a real victory, and something I've never done before, so why should I feel sheepish? It's all about the stupid number! So pick one you can live with.

Also, the reason I've never maintained before is that I never before declared that I was done losing. You really need to learn that maintenance skill, and if you don't let yourself declare goal at a place you're willing to stay, you might keep yo-yoing forever. Again, I speak from experience!
Old 09-28-2001, 04:12 PM   #6  

Bumby...once again thanks for your input...and by the way WOW...losing 87 is big but maintaining 82 is HUGE...good for you ! Maintenance is so very scary ...I have never been able to handle it because for one thing...before WW123 my idea of dieting was to starve myself so I'd get good results at WW meetings ...BIG JOKE ON ME...over the years I've lost and regained more weight than I care to admit not to mention the risks to my health by using drastic diet measures. This time I feel so wonderful. I eat more than I ever dreamed possible while losing weight. There are 6 girls at my office who are joining WW next week because of my success. They have silently been watching what I eat...I take my breakfast and lunch to work so they see what I eat and are learning through me that starvation is so not the route to go. One of them phoned my extension Wed to ask how much I'd lost and to let me know I'm their inspiration So with your encouragement I am indeed going to phone my doctor Mon and get this straightened out. If I inspired them with my loss I want to do the same with maintenance. I joined May 7 and paid the six month plas up front ...totally suggest this if anyone can do it. Paying just under $300 in one shot made this a real committment for me and I didn't want that money to go down the drain so I made myself a promise I'd do it right this time. Biggest surprise for me was how much I'd love the plan. My time frame ends Nov 7 and I would love to lose the 7 pounds to get to the weight I want to maintain by then . I'll let you know how my doctor views this. He was so excited for me at my last visit I can' t forsee a problem. I'm gonna pass it on...Bumby YOU are my inspiration...hugs
Old 09-28-2001, 04:20 PM   #7  

You go, girl! Sounds like you could get an at-work meeting together at your office. Of course, by 3 months from now, you'll probably be a lifetime member and won't count toward the total!
Old 09-28-2001, 06:20 PM   #8  

Bumby and Magpie- You are what these boards are all about. Helping each other over the bumps in the road. I applaud both of you and magpie, I too think you should raise the number to fit you not you to the mumber. You go girls. Bumby you have lost 2 kindergarteners!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2001, 08:08 PM   #9  

Windwood...thanks so much for your support. I agree with you, these boards are all about being here for each other and I so appreciate being able to come here night or day with concerns , to get advice , to find recipe and food tips or just to share. In fact places like this help me more than my weekly meeting and weigh in.
That was cute...Bumby lost two kindergartners ...another wonderful thing about these boards... a sense of humour !
Here's to ALL of us ! Keep focused...keep sharing and keep smiling !!!
Old 09-28-2001, 10:23 PM   #10  

Height: 5'6"

Smile WW Weight Goals

More than a year ago my leader asked me to consider getting a note from my doctor, to bring my goal weight up some. I, being a dummy, didn't want to, because it felt like giving up. At that time it didn't matter to me that the WW goal weight is something I haven't weighed since I was 13, and have never gotten close to as an adult.

Since then I've had some huge setbacks due to injuries which drastically reduced my ability to exercise. Over the past year I slowly put back on a bunch of weight. I am just now finally able to do a fair amount of exercise again, and have hopefully halted the weight gain.

Last fall I did raise my goal, because my doctor told me that if I lost just a couple more pounds he would consider me to be at a healthy weight. I asked for a note. The weight he recommended is about 10 lbs higher than the WW one, and it's one that I feel like I stand a shot at maintaining. I even reached it, around the time I got hurt, so I know I can get there. I think it's better to keep my weight at a managable level than to constantly beat myself up for not being able to reach a goal that is not realistically attainable for me.

And if you do ever change your mind, and decide that a lower weight will work for you, at least you won't have to keep paying to get there, LOL.
Old 09-29-2001, 05:22 AM   #11  

Thanks mrainy, I really appreciate support and I feel so encouraged. I was getting abit stressed over the weight I KNEW I wouldn't be able to maintain for life and as I said this is what this is all about this time . I've never felt better and last time I had tests done for cholesterol, triglycerides,blood tests,etc my doctor said if he didn't know better he'd think he was reading the chart of a 16 year old...being 54 I was rather pleased
Good luck to you getting back to goal. Exercise plays a huge part in all this,glad to hear you are able to do it once again.
Old 09-29-2001, 09:53 PM   #12  

Thumbs down ww in ca

I'm doing ww and want dietepals also from southern ca
[email protected]
Closed Thread