UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:28 AM   #1  
gracey

S/C/G: 242/172/168

Height: 5ft 11

Default BRITISH SNACKS..... the best low fat/cal/carb ect

WHAT DO YOU SNACK UPON?

Some of my favourite things in my cubord to snack on are....
cereal bars, under 100cals. Uusally have 2 for my lunch and snack at college.
snack a jack, deffinetly take time to get used too but if you really fancy crisps or buiscuits, they fill that gap and take ages to eat
ice lollys somthing to do with the ice i think, takes me ages to eat and if there about 40 cals, means i can have it as an evening snack.usually have nio fat in aswell if its only fruit juice, no cream
greek yogart low fat greek yogart is the best dessert, if u mix it with a very sweet fruit, on its own its a bit gagging.... but good anyway
melba bread found it in morrisons, basically you get 6 small slices of toast, only 78 cals for the 6, then probs bout 20-30 for a thin layer of margerine on top.
jelly fat freejelly is so good as a dessert, ok, it has no real substance, but i put fruit in mine while its sets and its a great low fat (or no fat) dessert

WHAT ABOUT YOU? be great to find some new things to snack on....

freethetoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:25 PM   #2  

I live on Greek yogurt (higher fat as well as low!) Honey or strawberry flavour. Make my own yogurt too.

Also, love Irish soda bread - the wholemeal one. Often have a couple of slices of that with honey.

Oh and that Terence Stamp bread stuff (I forget the name - is in Tescos). Love that.

We also got addicted to The Food Doctors' herby or spicy seed mix. Expensive though, so now I make my own! Soya Nuts also nice and obscenely high in protein.

Also discovered Scots Oat Cakes... the rough ones are my favourite. Again, with honey.

And The Nut and Seed Company's seeds and nuts covered in dark Belgian chocolate, or the white yogurt ones. 250 cal a throw, but as I have finally given up the chocolate, I have them instead a couple of times a week.

PS: Nearly forgot my new chocolate substitute - Tescos organic dried dates! I eat them with a handful of Yorkshire Hemp's Cinammon and Vanilla flavoured hemp seed nibbles - that lowers their GI a bit!
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:08 PM   #3  
gracey

shame i hate honey caus ethere is alot of yummy stuff on that list.... ill have to have a look out for the soda farls, i had them before but thought they had LOADS of cals...., also scots oat cakes....sound yummy
Old 10-28-2006, 06:41 AM   #4  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

My current favourite is frozen fruit. I buy the bags of frozen mixed berries they sell in Tesco or Sainsbury and keep them at the front of the kitchen freezer so I can just dip in whenever I feel like it. I eat them frozen, one at a time whenever I get the munchies. They take a minute or two to melt in your mouth and they are like mini flavour packed icepoles - absolutely gorgeous, very healthy and very low in calories.

Saturday night treat is tortilla chips with 'dip' yoghurt mixed with garlic and finely chopped onion - just cut up normal wholemeal or low fat tortillas in to diamond shapes, spray with Frylite and then bake in the oven until crispy. (You can put a light sprinkling of chilli powder on if you like your tortilla chips spicy.)

Yes, I like yoghurt as well. I get the low fat Greek style one from Sainsbury and have it with a teaspoon of honey drizzed across the top and a few toasted flaked almonds. If you don't like honey they use some of the soft dark brown sugar and leave it for a moment or two to soften up.

I don't eat cereal bars, snackajacks or anything like that - I can't be trusted to have them in the house without eating all of them. I have absolutely NO self-control (and I'm trying to stop eating hidden refined sugar and salt.)
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:22 AM   #5  
LOSE LOSE LOSE

S/C/G: 323/---/290

Height: 5"5

I absolutly love Mctivites Mini's all the flavours are yummy especially the sweet chilli and salt and vinegar and i top them with a little bit of Phelidephlia Light Garlic and Herb that is a great snack for me.

Snack a jacks too , sweet chilli flavour mmmmmmmmmmm and WW Buscuits (ginger/lemon) are my favourite there 104 cals for 2 (there in a pack of 2) and 3.6g pack for the pack of 2. Lovley with a cuppa

Oh and Lemonade Sparkle lollys (remember them form the 80's lol) 42 cals.

Teresa
treezuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:23 AM   #6  
gracey

tortia chips and dip sounds amazing, how do you make your own?
Old 10-28-2006, 09:01 AM   #7  
Consistency + Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Ann View Post
tortilla chips - just cut up normal wholemeal or low fat tortillas in to diamond shapes, spray with Frylite and then bake in the oven until crispy. (You can put a light sprinkling of chilli powder on if you like your tortilla chips spicy.)
As for dip - I use low fat greek style yoghurt as a base and then add some finely chopped red onion and crushed garlic. If you want you can make it different by substituting or adding in some chopped cucumber, curry powder, toasted cumin or fennel seeds, a bit of finely chopped green chilli, chopped salad onions, honey or seed mustard - anything you think you'd like. My husband's favourite combo is honey and seed mustard with a little garlic puree in the yoghurt base. If you can't be bothered to make a dip or can't get the low fat greek yoghurt then the tortilla chips also go nice with a jar of commercially made salsa which is low in calories.

BTW, the tortilla chips need eating with 24 hours of being made. Any leftovers can be crushed and used as a coating for chicken or fish.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 111/95/90 (kg)

Height: 5ft 6in

Can the mods please make this into a sticky???
kalijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 02:29 PM   #9  

Why a sticky? I can do it obviously but I'm not sure why it would need to be one. If it's for recipes there is already a recipe one you could copy them to. Sometimes when you sticky threads they tend to get ignored.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 174/148/138

Height: 5' 9"

I guess Maltesers don't count then?
Moo :) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:13 PM   #11  
gracey

well malteasers are good....but not sure how low the fat is, and anything chocolate covered makes me wanna binge eat big time..... mmm chocolate.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:15 AM   #12  
Here we go again...

Height: 5"2

I made "gummi worms" the other day - they weren't the greatest compared with normal sweets (I thought they'd be chewy) but you get a lot for very few calories/carbs etc! I take them to work so I have something to distract me from the food trolley that comes round every afternoon!

I've put it on the recipe thread should anyone want it.
Serena A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:11 AM   #13  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

fruit, lots and lots of fruit

Dried organic dates are yum scrum too, I tend to eat them one or two at a time out of the cupboard

Nairn's oatcakes come in sweeter flavours, mixed berries and stem ginger. I'm not sure how processed they are, but they're nicer than biscuits and about 46 kcals per biscuit. At least they have oats and things in rather than hydrogenated vegetable oil and HFCS!!!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:05 AM   #14  
Consistency + Balance

Just thought of another one - home made low fat houmous with breadsticks. Sainsbury's mini breadsticks are only 5 calories each.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:28 PM   #15  
gracey

i bought a lod of low fat bread things from asda the other day, mini french toast, with only 30 cals per slice, and these weird rounded crust things, which are just circles of toast without any butter, 30 cals aswell. there both very yummy, nice in my lunch box with a lil spread of marg on yumyum