Old 10-25-2006, 12:34 AM   #1  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Default Is it possible to healthily lose 15 pounds in one month?

I had a post here months ago called, "is it possible to lose 20 lbs in one month?" and everyone said, no, not healthily. That you could, but unhealthily. I'm talking about healthy, mainly fat loss that will stay off. Not the kind that comes back in a month. So what about 15lbs?
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:39 AM   #2  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Hi Melanie, I remember you. It depends what weight you're starting at, because people who weigh more usually lose more weight at first. It's really hard to say for sure how fast you would lose. Are you following a certain program?
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Melanie, I think you even asked something about losing over 50 pounds in 2 months (an even longer time ago). Before you even begin your journey, it's very important to have a realistic perspective about weight loss. If you expect big losses, and you don't get them, you may use it as a reason to give up. Don't be overly concerned about "how much weight can I lose in x amount of time." We all like to have the weight come off quickly, but as you get smaller, and the weight comes off even slower, you'll have to accept the fact that patience (along with persistence) are more important factors to get to your goal weight than having to "beat the clock."

And to answer your question, it is possible to healthfully lose 15 pounds in one month IF you have a LOT of weight to lose. I lost 20 pounds my first month, but I was over 300. I couldn't imagine losing that now -- I've lost 2 pounds in the past 3 months. I'm disappointed, but I know now my body physically can't lose its excess weight rapidly anymore, and I've come to terms with that.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I lost 30 lbs in two months ... but here's the hitch ... I was verrry verrry sedentary and I ate whatever I wanted and lots of it.

It's all about eat less and move more. So In my case it was easy to eat waaaay less and move waaay more.

And about the 'that will stay off' ... it's all about maintenance. If you've developed healthier eating and activity habits? yes it will.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:53 AM   #5  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

I just wrote this massive post about this and then thought the justification isn't needed. I think you know the answer to the question.

melanie, i do remember your last posts and urge you to consider that the speed at which you lose is not important but the longevity of weight loss instead.

everyone loses weight at different rates and if you only have a small amount of weight to lose before you are at your ideal weight, it will take longer than a heavier person with a long way to their goal (as Harpo has said).
Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 03:17 AM   #6  

I used to think, "I want to lose Xlbs in short amount of time." The best thing is CONSISTENCY. Just do it. In August I was pudgy. So pudgy that even my mother called me fat and that hurt because she was the one that was supposedly hurt/affected by my eating disorder years ago. But I digress...anyway, at the end of August I made small changes. Eating better, exercising (and simply WALKING) and look at me now - I'm at 149 from being at 161. Sure, that isn't 15, 20, or 50 pounds, but it is something! I'm back in a size 8.

So what I am trying to say is this - just do something, change something, you will see a difference eventually. Time will pass regardless, might as well do something while it is slipping by.
WhitWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 03:24 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think sometimes we forget that we have absolutely no control over weight loss. As I've said before, unless you use a chainsaw, you cannot control how much fat comes off or how quickly. We only have control of what we do - what we eat, and how we exercise. If you can tie your goals to your actions (and not the possible side effect of them) you will feel more successful no matter how quickly you see results.

Probably the biggest clue to whether you are being successful (healthy) is how you feel. If you are eating or exercising reasonably, you should be feeling pretty good - maybe a little sore or a little hungry a little more often than usual, but you shouldn't feel like you're going to drop from starvation or weakness.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:07 AM   #8  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I think sometimes we forget that we have absolutely no control over weight loss. As I've said before, unless you use a chainsaw, you cannot control how much fat comes off or how quickly. We only have control of what we do - what we eat, and how we exercise. If you can tie your goals to your actions (and not the possible side effect of them) you will feel more successful no matter how quickly you see results.

Probably the biggest clue to whether you are being successful (healthy) is how you feel. If you are eating or exercising reasonably, you should be feeling pretty good - maybe a little sore or a little hungry a little more often than usual, but you shouldn't feel like you're going to drop from starvation or weakness.
SO Well said! For me, 15 lbs would be GREAT loss in 2 months even and I'm totally ok with that. It honestly doesn't really matter how long it takes because I know this is a lifestyle change and I have the entire rest of my life to get there! My problem in the past has been putting timelines on things and as soon as I've reached my goal I reverted back to my old ways and gained the weight back plus 10 lbs! I never ever ever want to be there again... so now it doesn't matter if I lost 9lbs this month or 3 lbs this month... as long as the weight is coming off and I'm continuing to feel better! Don't think of it in terms of a timeline, you'll trip yourself up everytime!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:24 AM   #9  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:

I just had to second this. Awesome and so very very true!
BTW, HarpoChicoGroucho, congrats on your amazing weight loss! And thank you to everyone who has posted pics of your loss, ya'll are my inspiration to keep on keeping on.
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 341/284/170-180

Not to mention losing lots of weight in a short period of time can be quite expensive, especially since you'll always be having to buy clothes on a frequent basis because your original clothes get too big to wear. At least I've run into that problem...
mikium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 03:37 PM   #11  
Healthy mommy

Thank you for all of your responses. I don't have the time to respond to all of them individually as I've got to steam vaccuum the floor in a little while, but I did however read every reply thoroughly.

I get it, I get it. Patience is key. It's not how fast you lose it and how much but the fact that you're losing and losing healthily. (And congratulations to everyone for their progress and efforts.) Still, I think if I work very hard, not eat too much (but not too little either, I know it slows the metabolism), and eat healthy realistic portions and exercise, I can do it. Maybe not at the speed I want, but still.

I think I've only got about 20-30lbs to lose. I'd lean more towards 30. 35 would be great but I don't mind having a bit of booty and hips (it's sexy! Just look at Scarlet Johannsen, Beyonce, and Tyra!) So I guess this will take me longer than someone that has a lot more to lose??
Old 10-25-2006, 03:39 PM   #12  
Healthy mommy

You know what, I've realized something to. My sister is pregnant and weighs about 155, she's 5'6. And she still looks pretty good! She of course thinks she's chubby, but I don't feel so. She looks healthy and curvy as a woman should. So I've kind of got a new perspective on weight, 'cause I've realized you don't have to be 120 to look good. 120 won't look good on everyone.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:48 PM   #13  
Once more, with feeling!

I know everyone carries weight differently but my mother and best friend are both 5'8-5'9ish and weight about 135-140. They look fantastic and healthy; they still have curves and boobs. I remember the best friend once dropped to 120-115ish; she was going through a rough time and she's one of those irritating people who "forgets" to eat. Anyways, she looked gaunt and tired. I guess you'll have to see as you go along.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:55 PM   #14  
Healthy mommy

I tend to carry weight in my butt, hips and thighs predominantly. I used to have a flatter chest and now it's bigger. That's the one thing I'm gonna hate about losing weight. But I'd be happy to get back down to the 130's like your sister and mother.. that's fantastic.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:08 PM   #15  
Once more, with feeling!

Hee! It is for them, but I'm the one who has to spend time around them! My mother and father are the shortest ones in their family, 5'8 and 6'0 respectively. My 16 year old brother is 6'1. I have a 6'0 aunt, and every single one of my adult female cousins are over 5'9. All of the men are over 6'2. Most are thin, one or two is a little pear shaped. I am the shortest, by far, of both sides of my family, which makes the gatherings a little strange. Like being a dwarf at a giant convention. My body is my great-great-grandmother on my father's side body. Short and hour-glass with a tendency to be overweight. Although I can't do anything about the height problem (besides wear really high heels) one of my goals is to "fit in" a little more with the family's healthy physique. And also to be able to share clothes with my healthy slender friends.