Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 365/345/half-marathon

Height: 5'5"

Default Whoa - weird junk/sugar experience...

So, I'm having a tense day and I slipped up a bit at lunch. Along with the healthy lunch I brough to work, I bought a package of sugar wafers. After I ate my sandwich and about half of my baggie of carrots, I ate 4 sugar wafers.

About 5 minutes later, I can still taste the fake, super sugary-ness of the wafers in my mouth. And I actually heard a voice in my head say "Maybe I can rid the taste of sugar if I eat some more carrots..."

WHOA. Who was that??? Certainly not the junk-food junkie that I was just a week ago...

Its amazing how quickly positive changes begin to take effect!
Inconceivable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:35 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Absolutely! I used to drink regular sodas ALL the time. A few weeks ago, I grabbed a can of my boyfriend's soda out of the fridge (either regular root beer or ginger ale, I forget which), and for literally HOURS afterwards, I was disgusted at the aftertaste in my mouth, even after I brushed my teeth! And that's in addition to the disgusting coating I could feel on my teeth afterwards
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:24 PM   #3  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

It's so true! and it feels good when we have one of those experiences!

Jill - ick.. I hate the slough certain sugary foods/drinks leave on my teeth. i love that fruits, vegs, healthy foods in general, don't leave my teeth feeling so gross afterwards! yet another benefit...
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:16 PM   #4  

Well, sugar doesn't bother me much, except it tastes VERY sweet, but greasy, oh yuck! I ate some Taco Bell 2 months ago and it made me feel so bad I haven't had any fast food since. All that grease and refined flour buns and tortillas-ick! I never thought I would say that.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:51 PM   #5  

My 1st meal at a fast food place after I quit smoking was amazing.
The food tastes gross, like rancid oil.
I "have" to take the kids out every now and then & if I can I avoid McD and BK, but sometimes I just have to.
I cringe tho.
Fast food salads cause a "missing gall bladder purge" (trust me, you don't want to know...)
so I either don't eat or just eat a plain burger.
Yeccch!
Eating out can be scary sometimes. I tend to panic and think I won't be getting enough food to eat.
I have finally (I think) convinced myself that if I order small and am still hungry later, I still have my pm snack.

Last night to celebrate my #2 son's succesful driving test! (Yay! 2 kids down, 5 to go!!)
we went out to dinner and my suggestion of Old Country Buffet was leaped at.
I was soooo good!
1st I had a huge green salad (with fingers crossed!) with a vinegar-only dressing and a bowl of chicken noodle soup.
Then for seconds I had about 15 de-breaded small shrimp, a serving of baked salmon and a serving of baked cod, a large cup of (overcooked) carrots, and 2 VERY small (1/4 of a dollar bill size) pieces of orange chicken.
For dessert I was going to try the bread pudding or the cheesecake, but truly? They didn't look worth it!
I had a cup of cantaloupe and a cup of honey dew instead!
I actually left there full and not guilty for the first time!

I ALWAYS ALWAYS check the restaurant online menu and plan my dinner before I go.
It is SO important for me.
aschenbrodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:01 AM   #6  

Height: 5'8.5"

What a super NSV, Alison! Yay for you!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:58 AM   #7  

I quit the fast food about a year ago, been sliding into the whole foods since then...

I'm finding the craving for junk isn't going away, yet--I let myself give in every once in a blue moon. Usually, it's either gross (esp. fatty stuff), or just, "Wasn't worth it" (sweet stuff).

And then, once in a great while, it's just SOOOOO good! Just enough to keep the cravings going, I'm afraid.
luvmypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:53 AM   #8  
trouble

S/C/G: 240/219/160

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Absolutely! I used to drink regular sodas ALL the time. A few weeks ago, I grabbed a can of my boyfriend's soda out of the fridge (either regular root beer or ginger ale, I forget which), and for literally HOURS afterwards, I was disgusted at the aftertaste in my mouth, even after I brushed my teeth! And that's in addition to the disgusting coating I could feel on my teeth afterwards

ya... i second this i have the exact same problem....
isthatreallyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:31 AM   #9  

i find myself craving one food , cheese and more so cheese on pizza thats it i love the taste of healthy foods, crave steamed veggies with a tad of loive oil and tomato salad or pesto!
smkylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 03:49 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 310/297/200

Height: 5ft. 5in.

Junk and sweets make me sick to my stomach now. I crave fried chicken, but it makes me run to the bathroom, sugary things do that too. The bad aftertaste is the pits too. Isn't it funny how we never noticed before WF?
girlscoutmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 04:09 PM   #11  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlscoutmama View Post
Junk and sweets make me sick to my stomach now. I crave fried chicken, but it makes me run to the bathroom, sugary things do that too. The bad aftertaste is the pits too. Isn't it funny how we never noticed before WF?
I had McDonald's today (a fried chicken sandwich and some fries), and my meal was shortly followed by a quite unpleasant trip to the commode When I was eating such crap all the time, it didn't have that affect at all, In fact, I used to eat fast food practically EVERY day, and I had very normal, regular bowel movements. Now, it seems if I stare too long at a french fry, I have to run to the nearest rest room
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote