Old 09-18-2006, 02:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/215/175

Height: 5'5"

Default Does the weight stay off?

Hi all...this message board seems like a great support. I'm considering starting LAWL, but I'm somewhat wary, as it is a huge monetary investment...

I know lots of people have amazing success with LAWL, but what I'm wondering is does the weight stay off? I tried Atkins once, and lost 30lbs in 3 months, but throughout the next year, I gained that back plus some. I don't want to spend a ton of money, just to go on another yo-yo diet. I can't see myself staying on this diet forever...that'd be WAY too much money...but I do want that jump-start towards true weight loss. If I lose the weight with LAWL and go off the diet (but still eat healthy and reasonably), is it just going to come back? Have people been able to maintain their weightloss after returning to a "normal" eating lifestyle? I mean, if I eat a donut-hole, am I going to gain 6lbs automatically? Do you get what I'm saying? It's like, if you stop a diet, you gain back the weight faster than you would have before eating the same foods? Make sense? Right now, if I eat a bowl of ice cream, I'm not going to gain 3lbs, but I might AFTER I lose the weight...

Anyone understand what I'm talking about? And what are your experiences with gaining weight back or maintaining on LAWL?

Also, are the counselors helpful? I've heard that they're really pushy sales people... I guess I kind want/need more support than someone trying to get me to buy more to lose more.
meagain716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Hi Megain...

I'm still in the losing phase, with a lot more to go, but one thing that I liked about the program is the maintenance part. You go through your weight loss, and then you go into stabilization for six weeks. During this time, all those foods you couldn't have are re-introduced and they add exchanges back to figure out what works for your body. Then you go on maintenance for 52 weeks. During this time you go in to the center once a week. I think this is the difference between this and a lot of other programs. You still get the counseling during your maintenance phase, and you have a year to get used to what you need to do to maintain. They don't kick you to the curb after 6 weeks like a lot of other programs. They will work with you. Some people can go back to lots of starches, some cant'. That's what they will figure out for/with you in stabilization.

That being said... if you eat something off program, you most likely see a gain, but it is mainly water weight and comes off in a few days. This is a very low sodium program and that, combined with 3x/week weigh ins shows any type of slip up or water retention.

Most of the counselors are helpful. Some try to sell more than others, and it is a for-profit business, just like any other commercial weight loss program out there. But this site is great for helping to sort through the information, and the counselors are good at making suggestions when you're stuck in a rut, etc.

Hope this helps. I know there are a bunch of bad review floating around, but a lot of them are written by other websites where they want you to try their product. You can see that there have been a lot of successes by looking at everyone's tickers.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:21 PM   #3  
Shannon

Height: 5'3"

Kristi - a question for you as you seem to be a vetern of a lawl? After the 52 weeks of stablization can you go into the centre to weigh in or seek any guidance?
Shannon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:46 PM   #4  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

[QUOTE=meagain716;1410032] I can't see myself staying on this diet forever...that'd be WAY too much money...but I do want that jump-start towards true weight loss. If I lose the weight with LAWL and go off the diet (but still eat healthy and reasonably), is it just going to come back? Have people been able to maintain their weightloss after returning to a "normal" eating lifestyle? I mean, if I eat a donut-hole, am I going to gain 6lbs automatically?

Remember--you don't have to pay forever--just for the 2 phases. By then end you know EXACTLY what do to to keep the weight off. Don't think of it as a "diet" because really it's just a healthy eating plan, nothing special, no gimmicks so if after maintenance you continue to eat healthy and reasonably then it won't all come back. A donut hole won't kill you. I haven't made it to goal but I have maintained since May while eating too much of what I like (off plan) but am now back OP. DH has maintained since April (40+ pounds) and eats/drinks what he wants. If he goes up a few he just does the weightloss phase again to get them off.

good luck
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:58 PM   #5  
ON LAWL

S/C/G: 160/155/140

Height: 5'6''

Just like anything if you go back to your same ways, you will get the same results. I have finished one complete cycle (WL,Stabalizaion,and Main) in May and I did gain three LBs back(lost 70). I have since gone in to purchase more weightloss weeks, I decided I wanted to lose an additional 10 LBs on top of the three. I only had to purchase the WL weeks, but that was my center. They told me once you pay for Stabalization and Maintanece they are always there for you. Of course I have the knowledge to lose those additional LBs on my own, but I need the accountability.......and their Hot Chocolate !!!

hope that helps
Krystal
klkoppes is offline   Reply With Quote