Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-09-2006, 09:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/206/185

Height: 5' 8"

Default New here - I'm stuck at plateau

Hi Y'all.
I'm new to this site and it looks sooooo wonderful.

Some background - I started my "life style change" (I don't like to use "diet") in January '06 and have been loosing about a pound a week. But I've been stuck at minus 34 lbs now for about 4 weeks. My "plan" has been to cut my food portions in half. I walk for 15 minutes every morning on the treadmill and I go for two 10 minute walks during the day. This has worked great up until now but I've still got a long way to go.

Does anyone have any suggestions at to how to get moving again? I would greatly appreciate it.
knoxjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 02:33 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Knoxjill,

Welcome! Glad to "see" you here. Lots of us hit plateaus from time to time.

I notice you're taking walks during the day, which is great! But maybe you could increase the time you spend walking. So, instead of 15 minutes on the treadmill, go for 20 or even 30. And make your later walks 15 minutes each instead of 10 minutes.

Also, eating half is a good plan, but I find I have to really make sure I'm not eating too much fat and too much carbohydrate, even if the total amount isn't a lot. There are lots of different food program tools you can use on the computer, such as through fitday.com. It's free if you use it online. It may not appeal to you--it's a food tracker--but the food list does give you an idea of how much you are getting for a portion of a certain food.

It's really, really hard to stay on any "lifestyle change" for many months, but you are proof that it works! Good for you! Keep hangin' out here with us.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 02:54 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hi Knoxjill!

Welcome! Wow do we understand about plateaus!

I just discussed this with my doctor and besides just having patience, she recommded kicking up the difficulty level of my exercise. I had been working out approx. average 70 minutes a day -- and she said your body can adapt to the workouts but to make it harder.

I am doing that and will see how it works out!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Plateaus are really frustrating, but unfortunately, our bodies don't lose weight in a linear fashion. Try not to get down about it and find other things to focus on -- your measurements for instance. Also, since the scale is beyond your control, focus on the things that are: getting in more exercise, or eating well. Eventually, the weight will come off.

Also, take this time to evaluate your plan. Are you getting too much food? Too little (paradoxically, eating too little can slow weight loss!)

Finally, many of us find weight lifting helps keep the metabolism chugging -- and builds fine looking muscles!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:35 PM   #5  

Thanks so very much for all the great ideas. I'm going to start increasing my walks today! And, you're right, I need to watch what I'm eating - just doing 1/2 portions isn't enough if it's "bad" food. Thanks again. I'm going to love it here!
Old 09-11-2006, 02:23 PM   #6  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

Thanks so much for this post! I've been at a plateau for 4 MONTHS!! I'm not sure what the deal is! I've increased my level of exercise, and cut back on my calories, and NOTHING! Still at 117 Lb's! GRRRRRR! I'm so frustrated!
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Oooh... check oout this thread -- it may help you think about the issues you might be facing in a plateau...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93510
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:42 AM   #8  

When I was 210, I was losing weight consistently at 2.5lbs per week. I then remember I got 'stuck' at 170 for 3 weeks!!! Talk about banging your head on a wall!!! My husband told me my body just had to 're-position' my bodyfat, and it wouldn't last forever. He said my body is adjusting to a smaller me, so even though they ARE frusterating, just think of it in that way, and it makes you feel a bit better!!!!
xCandyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/217/140

Height: 5'4"

Default I'm right there with ya

I totally understand plateaus. I'm at 196 and have been for 2 weeks. I haven't been measuring my food as much and I think the portions are getting bigger and I've been eating the same menu for about a month so I'm going to change it up and see if that works. I have been putting a little extra other things like a little butter on my veggies and having cream and sugar in my coffee instead of milk and splenda. Make sure you are eating enough and that you're eating the right types of foods. The types of foods I've found for me is just as important as the quantity. Good luck and stick to this website, it's awesome here.

Robin
medic4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #10  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I have found that not only do i need to ramp up my exercise but change my exercise all around. Like instead of ellipitical for cardio, i have to switch to tae bo or tennis for a while. Just doing more elliptical doesnt always work for me. Doc said it is because your muscles get bord of that fire pattern, challenge them to something new and you will see results...this advice has not failed me yet.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:12 AM   #11  

I just wanted to thank all of you for your suggestions. I have increased my 3 walks per day by 5 minutes each. Now that it's finally cooling off again the walks are MUCH more enjoyable. I'm also watching what I'm eating again and am happy to report that the scale finally moved - minus 1 !!!! I'm finally at minus 35 pounds and am at my half way point!!!

Thanks again - you all have given me that little nudge that I needed.