Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 12:48 PM   #1  

Default How I RUINED Dinner - somewhat amusing story

So I thought I'd tell you all an amusing story.

My oven has been out of commission all summer, but we recently got it fixed so I've been really into baking dinners lately. A couple weeks ago, I was making a Layered Mexican Chicken Casserole from a recipe on the WW site. I was so proud of myself for it, honestly. It looked yummy. I took it out and set it on the stove. My son got my attention and I walked into the next room. I looked back and saw that the casserole was smoking in the middle.

Then it dawned on me...... the burner that I put the casserole on was on and set to HIGH!!! ARGH! So I race over and move it off and I could tell that the dish was charred and the casserole in the middle was probably permanently stuck to the dish now. Sigh. But I figured we could eat the other parts.

So the family sits down to dinner, I dish out the casserole and the veggies. We were in the middle of talking about this and that all of us had maybe taken one or two bites of our meal. Then out of the blue...... BOOM!

The glass dish the casserole was in burst into a million pieces and glass went flying across the table, the floor, into our laps. The whole family just looked at each other in utter shock. I burst into "Nobody eat ANYTHING". The boys were scared at first, but we cleaned them off and let them eat sandwiches on the floor in front of the TV (which they thought was awesome) I was devastated at the time. All my work and I got one bite of it. I felt so bad about it, knowing it was my own fault. It just hadnt dawned on me the dish would explode 10 min later! I'd never seen anything like that happen and for hours afterwards I still couldnt believe it.

My fiance, to his credit, was so nice to me as he cleaned up the glass. (I was in bare feet and couldnt walk on the floor lol) He was saying "Honey its okay, I'm sure it happens to everyone" and I just looked at him and said "Hon, I don't think EVERYONE has their dinner explode on them..." then we just laughed.

The kicker is, the next night I set dinner out on some plastic type plates and my youngest goes "These plates arent going to explode, right?" I will never live this down in my family. It has already started to be known as "The Exploding Dinner".
Old 08-29-2006, 01:03 PM   #2  
Opulent

Wow, that is so scary! I am glad no one was hurt and that you turned it into an adventure for your little ones with the sandwiches and the TV treat. What a sweetie your finace is
Old 08-29-2006, 01:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

Hehe,I have exploded a couple dishes that way too.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Gina - upon reading you were all OK I could see the funny side of it. But have never heard of that happening. Once I dropped a lid on top of dish & bottom of dish fell out into oven & everything with it, but no explosions.

Better luck next time.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:13 PM   #5  
Just Keep Swimming

S/C/G: 276/276/115

That is so funny, only because that sort of thing would totally happen to me. LOL. I'm sorry that it was ruined though. *chuckles* thanks that made my day.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Knowing that everyone was alright........this really made me laugh! I love the things that kids say so innocently!!!
Old 09-01-2006, 09:08 AM   #7  

At first it definitely wasnt funny.. but we definitely laugh about it now.

What kids say -
I'm notorious for burning myself in the kitchen. In fact I burned my arm in the same place twice this week in different ways. My youngest had broken my kitchen timer so I bought a new digital one. My stepson asked me what it was and I told him and said "Now I can stop burning the food!"

He replied "Too bad they dont make something to stop you from burning yourself"

:P
Old 09-01-2006, 07:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Funny stuff, they just don't think! They aren't even trying to be funny either
Closed Thread