Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 09:25 AM   #1  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Default Switching to Weight Watchers from Calorie Counting

Have any of you switched from calorie counting to Weight Watchers? Why did you switch, was it hard and was it a success? I have been pretty much stuck here for 2 months and I was thinking about giving WW a try and see if that kick starts something again.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:52 AM   #2  
banned

Its The Same Thing You Just Count Points Not Cals
Old 08-08-2006, 10:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

It's slightly different because points take fat and fiber into consideration. You could count 1400 calories full of high-fat stuff and it wouldn't be the same as the equivalent in points (for example, you can estimate that a point is equal to 50 calories but it's not always true because of fat/fiber). I don't go to the meetings anymore and I'm doing it at home, but if you decide to do it you really need the point slide thingie to help you calculate points. I find it easier than counting calories as long as I use my slide and use websites that show point values for restaurant food.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

I lost 50 lbs prekids counting calories and kept it off until the kid years mega gain. Since then I just can't get motivated to stick with a diet. WW helps because of the accountability of going to meetings and weighing in. I could do it without WW, but WW makes it easier.

Having fat (+1/5 pt) and fiber (-1/12 pt) calculated into the rough estimate of 50 calories per point does not have much of an effect, but it does provide incentive to choose healthier foods. If you are making healthy food choices already then consider signing up for WW as paying for accountability.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:10 PM   #5  

Height: 5'3

I've counted calories before and had some success but it really was not working for me anymore because of portion control. I started WW in March and you learn things like portion control and at least to me WW is easier than simply counting points. Yes I have had success as I have lost 30 pounds since starting WW in March.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:17 AM   #6  

WW is a form a counting calories. Like someone else said the fat and fiber don't make a huge difference. There are I think 9 calories in a gram of fat, that is already taken into consideration in the caloric information on packaging. That same calorie number you use to calculate the points. So there isn't much difference. For me it's about the math LOL. I like small numbers. I have an easier time estimating what I can eat based on my points balance, than I could when I did calorie counting.

But also ww offers support, guides for healthy living and information. I find the system far easier than calorie counting. But I think it's b/c I've done WW so long that I know the points of virtually any food I'd ever want to eat. I am sure there are people who can do thatw ith calorie counting. But the meetings are great, and teh support is awesome, as is the accountability of weighing in. And I think that is where WW has just calorie counting beat.
Closed Thread