General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 12:43 AM   #1  
Bikini Season :)

Default I hate money!!

so heres the situation,

i went negative $7.28 in my bank account, and my bank - that previously had given me overdraft protection, has apparently changed that - and instead of overdrafting me - cancelled my account. (no, i dont overdraw often).

because i am a traveling nurse, bills that i monitor online, i dont have forwarded to me, so my bank statements go to my mom. apparently they sent a letter that she didnt read.

well, then they closed the account - it rejected my direct deposit from my job. so the 1400 check that would have been perfect, rejected. so i have had 0.00 dollars to my name for the past 7 days and rrreeaalllyy needed this money. i barely have gas to get myself to and from work.

my mom put 80.00 dollars in the account and reactivated it, and i've been fighting with my company to have them resumbit my direct deposit, which they wont do until next friday. so, 80.00, that will get me some gas, i can handle that.

well i just went to the gas station to fill up my car --- AND IT REJECTED MY ATM. apparently when my account closed, it cancelled my card?? thats the only thing i can think!!! does anyone now more about banking?? they said the 80.00 wouldnt be available until after midnight east coast time, so i went to fill up at 1230 east coast time... maybe it didnt roll over yet? but its all computerized, so it should have, right?

so i am in california, far from home, i havent switched from my local pittsburgh bank yet and i cant even access the 80.00 i have to my name!!!
its not like the gas station will take a check! and i havent paid enough checks to the grocery store to be allowed to get cash back!!!

*wails*

Old 08-05-2006, 12:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 236/207/175

Height: 6ft

ack!!! am sorry ya havin such problems .. i would call and raise cane with your bank especially if you have been a customer for a significant time and make them refund you your fee's and charges for the overdrafts ..thats ridiculous ..and i hope they didn't chew up the 80 bucks ya mom put in with thier fee's and charges! will keep my fingers crossed for ya and hope it sorts itself out soon!
Old 08-05-2006, 03:53 AM   #3  
I'm on the wagon

S/C/G: 314/275.5/125

Height: short stuff

You should contact them and ask if they sent out a letter to indicate they were no longer offering you OD protection. Ask them the date too, in case they just say yes without checking if they DID. Not that it's gonna help the situation you're in of course. That really bites.

I remember once I forgot to put my cash in to cover my monthly auto-debits.. I usually did it on the first day of the month and I got busy and forgot. I had about $120 in just bouncing fees to make up for that mistake. It sucked.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:58 AM   #4  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

urghhh I've had so many problems with banks!
Old 08-05-2006, 10:05 AM   #5  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

KATE~

Hey! We live in the same city, I grew up near Tri-City hospital way before you were born. I live near Vista now.

I can understand the banking problems, my wife and I had fraud on one of our credit cards a little over a year ago. Seems that the young women at Penneys in the C-Bad mall stole the number off my wife's card and had her friend in the Macys buy stuff with it. We got it resolved pretty quick but what a scare. Then last summer, while we stayed in our Washington home, someone was going around Las Vegas charging stuff with a different credit card number of ours, we had the card in our pocket but somehow they were able to pull it off, again a pain but resolved. Fortunately for me none of this cost us money out of our accounts.

Maybe your mom can go directly to the bank for you Monday morning and get some info. Wishing you luck ~~ at least the weather is great here today
Old 08-05-2006, 01:24 PM   #6  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Hey there!

In my experience, when a bank account is closed, all means of accessing it are closed too -- ie your ATM card. Despite having the account reopened by your mom, it is very likely the bank has not reactivated your card. You will probably have to call to get this done. And make sure that you know the passcode -- they might reset that also when they turn it back on.

A suggestion that might help you out in the future at least: with your next bank account, open it at a bank that offers online banking. This way you can see, even "live", how much money you have, what amount is on hold for pending sales, all transactions up to the moment. I have that with my local credit union in Massachusetts, and it's GREAT... and it's FREE. I love it. I could even sign up for electronic statements emailed to me directly.

If you don't have it, I'd really recommend it. I can't imagine waiting monthly for a statement to see what's up, or having to go through a pain-in-the-butt automated phone system to hear details.

Good luck with your money situation! I've been where you are too often That's why I'm a bit OCD now about knowing my bank account details down to the Nth degree hehe!
Old 08-05-2006, 05:31 PM   #7  
Bikini Season :)

lol - thats the thing, i manage it all online - but they've been having problems keeping my balances up-to-date, thus - the overdraw...

but crisis averted today, i got them to re-activate my card *Whew*

never felt so relieved!!!
Old 08-05-2006, 08:51 PM   #8  
I'm on the wagon

S/C/G: 314/275.5/125

Height: short stuff

Glad to hear that you got access to your money again!!
Old 08-05-2006, 11:06 PM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

While the $80 won't be available until after midnight...that's after midnight, not midnight on the dot...that's only available. The ATM is a different matter. It may take another day to catch up to the bank transactions.

Were you ever notified of the cancellation of the overdraft protection? If you have the initial agreement/contract for the overdraft protection, I'd make a stink about it and make them make it right. If however they sent out notices of the change in policy and posted it at the bank and you just never read the fine print, nothing can be done about it.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:05 PM   #10  
ugggg.....

Bershore girl has a good point with the online services--when my bank was "locally" owned I was able to access the toll free number to check on deposits and withdrawals as many times as I wanted since I have direct deposit. Once they were bought out be a bigger bank, it went to like three times a statement period and I was made aware of it in a huge "changes" letter and I missed that until the first time I got the charge. They do offer unlimited access to the online site for all my accounts.

I also just openned a savings account to come out automatically every week once my direct deposit hits my account and can also be used for overdraft protection. I was told by that due to NEW government regulations there is a limit to how many times a month money can be moved from one account to another and that a another woman's savings account was just closed because it went over the "allowable" times. You may want to talk to your bank about it--I am paraphrasing!!
Closed Thread