Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2001, 03:18 PM   #1  

Default 12 Week Challenge: Wk # 11 Aug 27-sep 2

ATTENTION.... ATTENTION.... CHALLENGETTES... WEEK 11 IN PROGRESS

When I went to this week's WW meeting the topic was Yearly Obstacles... our leader led us through each month and showed us how there was always going to be some challenge, some holiday, some family / business / personal event that could been seen as an obstacle to staying on program.

She asked us how could we look at it differently? How could these challenges be useful? What could we learn from them... What could we learn about ourselves? How could we overcome our tendencies to put our weight losses on "hold"? When were we most liable to tend to do that?

So now that September / Labor day is in the offing... what's coming up for you? And how have you handled it in the past? What would you like to do differently?

Interestingly enough, the brat in me doesn't even want to look at this. But if I'm ever gonna get to that dream weight - or at least try to really maintain at goal - I probably need to address this. Uggghhh!

Last edited by patch30; 08-29-2001 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-29-2001, 04:24 PM   #2  

I have a big challege looming ahead of me for the long weekend. We are heading off with friends to the Labour Classic in Regina. For all you Canadians out there, Winnipeg is going to kick some serious Saskatchewan butt!!!!!!!

Anyway, we are camping with friends and I find camping and food a big challenge. I also need to keep enough points for the beer consumption. The only saving grace is that my girlfriend is on weight watchers too so we can help each other through this.

What will be different for this long weekend trip? - I will not buy chips and I will not buy our traditional camping cookie - Mr. Christie's Goodie Rings (darn) and we already have every meal planned. This will make it easier for both her and I.

I weighed in for the first time since meeting goal. After three weeks of maintenance I'm only up .4. Woo hoo!

Take care and have a great week!

Go Bombers!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2001, 08:00 PM   #3  
Lifetimer

S/C/G: 183.6/173/140

The ongoing pressure of pushing my son to do his homework, to study, to take school seriously, not to mention getting him out on time and to do things around the house after he gets home from school. I thought it would get easier as he got older (he is 16) but I think it just gets harder.
Old 08-29-2001, 08:30 PM   #4  

Majorly tough stuff Myra - I know exactly what you're talking about - and I've got 6 years before my stepson is 16 whoa! I can get incredibly stressed when my husband and stepson go at each other (major bickering) for all of the stuff you mentioned. And I see how hard it is for each of them, so I know how difficult it must be for you.

Just before dinner I get really worked up, that's homework time for them and dinner prep for me. I used to feel it necessary to have a drink (or two) and munch down brie, etc. just to get through it (once in a while I still do). But over the past few months (yes I know school hasn't even started) I've tried to do things differently. I didn't want to lose sight of what was important to me regarding health and weight. So what I "do differently" is...if I'm getting worked up, I walk away from them, I chomp on celery and carrots... put on headphones (even in the kitchen) and listen to music... go for a walk. It's hard to accept I'm not in control of their lives... especially since I'm kind of a control freak. Me? Nahhhh.

Labor Day Weekend: Saturday we're going for a day sail and I plan on bringing crunchy veggies and cheddar cheese versus brie... rice cakes versus chips and crackers. I had a major pigfest regarding cheese burgers last week so I'm not craving them as much. We'll see friends and I'm planning on saving daytime points so that if I want a glass or two of wine I can have it.

Kena I love what you and your friend are doing and planning together! And enjoy that beer or two...you deserve it. Congrats on your maintainence success. Have a great time camping and Go Winnipeg Go!
Old 08-29-2001, 09:02 PM   #5  

Hey Patch - I have to ask you - what the heck is a fish taco. I noticed it on one of your other posts!!!!
Old 08-30-2001, 09:14 AM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

Good question again this week. Upcoming for me is our annual German Heritage Festival (Saturday & Sunday) that I am involved in. For 2 days I work at the festival and generally eat sporadically. Fortunately for me I'm usually too busy to really sit down and eat without thinking. Over the past 2 years I have learned that I need to plan on what I'm going to eat and keep track. This has given me success in the past and I'm planning on doing the same thing. If anything were to be different I would have to say that I need to make sure that I eat at more regular intervals so that I don't get over hungry and eat "whatever". I also have found that when I drink more water throughout the day I'm not as apt to fill up on other things.

September is a busy month, I have a dinner on the 14th, my anniversary falls on the 17th, and then a trip to Chicago the weekend of the 21st so I need to stay focused, journal, and get more walking in. I have to admit that I thrive on being in control and these events will make me strive to remain focused.
Old 08-30-2001, 01:16 PM   #7  

Good stuff gals. and first off Kena... the fish taco thing is a healthy fast food restaurant nearby called Wahoo's Fish Tacos. They grill the fish (ahi) and usually it's no more that 2 oz worth. So for 5 pts I get the fish (2pts), 2 small tortillas (2pts), shredded cabbage-0, salsa-0, black beans 1/2c and really just a few shreds of cheese - 1. I find I really need a no brainer for lunch or I get into trouble.

Melissa love your focus on what's important regarding the upcoming festival, and events. And by the way happy upcoming anniversary! What number is it?

OK here's my number's so far this week... As ya can see, it's hard for me to get back to the low range.

M - 25 -- (5 act. earned - used 1 activity)
T -- 22 -- (banked 3)
w - 25 -- (used 1 activity)
T -- 22 -- (banked add'l 3 +3= 6 / earned 2 add'l act + 3 = 5)
F -- 25--- (used 5 Act + 1 bnked pt - 31-6=25)
S -- 24.5 - (used 5 bnkd + 1 act / earned 7 add'l act pts today)
Su -- 24.5 - (used 9 activity pts{had 6 and earned 5 toda} : 33.5-9=24.5

Last edited by patch30; 09-03-2001 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-01-2001, 12:34 PM   #8  

Weigh in this morning - down 2.0. Hmmmmm, I'm supposed to be maintaining, oh well. I certainly don't mind losing a couple of more unwanted pounds. Subsequently I went to the Gap and treated myself to a pair of size 10 jeans, woo hoo! Love it. I'm so glad I'm at the point where I have no interest in rewarding myself with food anymore.

Off to Regina for the football game - Go Bombers!

Start weight 173.2
Goal weight: 140.0
Current: 136.6

Have a good long weekend everyone!

K
Old 09-01-2001, 02:16 PM   #9  
Lifetimer

Doing great Kena!
Old 09-02-2001, 03:48 PM   #10  

Way to go Kena. Have a great holiday weekend everyone.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:24 AM   #11  

Height: 5'7"

Kena: Way to go!

Patch: We are celebrating 19 years this year. Time sure flies!

The weekend was a challenge to say the least. I was so busy I didn't get a chance to update my journal like I had wanted. I did, though, write things down later. The hardest part for me wasn't the food as much as it was the drinking. I was so busy that I didn't really have time to sit down and eat so it was kind of hit and miss. I did enjoy a couple of wheat beers at the festival. In looking back I did better than what I thought I did and I was walking most of the day back and forth with little "sit down" time. So the exercise should balance out what I ate.

Hope everyone had a nice holiday weekend!
Old 09-04-2001, 08:48 AM   #12  
Lifetimer

Here is my week:

Monday: 24
Tuesday: 21
Wednesday: 21
Thursday: 24
Friday: 23
Saturday: 27
Sunday: 23

Range: 20-25

My home scale indicates I more or less maintained. I'll let you know officially tomorrow nite.

BTW, congrats Melissa on your anniversary. 19 years. That's great. I'm just behind you. It will be 18 years Nov. 12.
Old 09-04-2001, 02:23 PM   #13  

Wow you guys... Melissa first of all, congrats on your upcoming 19 year anniversary - that's just incredible. (I'll be celebrating 3 years in mid Nov.) and way to to Myra on your 18 years ... any advice gals for a relative newbie ???

Looks like you guys did great this past week. I'll be quite lucky to have "just" maintained... we'll see. I'm loath to get on a scale after this past weekend.

Upcoming challenges I want to be aware of...

Sept 18th / 19th - Rosh Hashana dinners / gatherings

Weekend of Sept. 21st - travelling to visit my parents / brother, his wife and son for a weekend (love 'em but it's stressful)

Sept 28th - breaking fast of Yom Kippur
Old 09-04-2001, 10:14 PM   #14  
LM

Points for the week (exercise points deducted)

W: 23.5
Th: 20.5
F: 32.5
S: 32
S: 23.5
M: 23.5
T: 19

average points/day: 25.5
weigh in: 128# goal weight
Old 09-05-2001, 12:44 PM   #15  

Here are the numbers (what I have!) for the past week - the Labor Day weekend messes me up for journaling! I am pretty sure I will be posting a gain, since I'm up on the scale at home.

Wed 21
Thur 24
Fri 27
Sat ?
Sun ?
Mon ?
Tues 24

Weigh in is tonight, so I'll post that number later.
Closed Thread