Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 11:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Default running!!

Hey guys.

There was a time when I ran 4 miles a day. That was a long time ago.

Now that I'm 30 lbs lighter, I'm ready to run again. Yesterday and today I ran a 1/4 mile. What a great start. My plan is to increase my distance 1/4 mile at a time every week to two weeks.

I feel fantastic. My legs don't feel tight. Instead they feel loose. I forgot how great it feels after a run.

I thought that I would never run again. I had totally given up hope. I thought that it was part of my past...my youth. I am amazed and thankful for the ability and motivation that God has given me.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:13 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Marny, I'm so happy for you!
I know the pleasure of running. I ran for 10 years, and loved it.
I joined a running club last Tuesday! I almost died (I felt like I was running on no air. heh heh), but I did it, and I'm running again today.
Can you keep me posted on your running? You've very inspiring.
Keep it up, Marny. This is going to be so good for your physical AND mental state!
Old 06-25-2006, 11:40 AM   #3  

Woo Hoo! You go Ellis!!! Wow, a running club! What a great idea. It's great to be able to share this with you.

I ran again this morning. I was feeling motivated and added a 10th of a mile. Adding a little at a time really works for me. After I run I feel like King Kong on top of the building. It's great. It's sure a stress reliever too.

I have a question for you. I find that I have a lot of tension in my neck after running. Do you have any advice for that? Could it be my form?

My abstinence is clean. My food plan is on target. I'm relaxed and happy. I have serenity. Life doesn't get much better.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:55 AM   #4  

Marny, I'm so glad you had a good run this morning!!
I hear ya re: King Kong. That's how I always felt, too.

Yes, the tension in your neck is probably a result of your form. Make sure your shoulders aren't creeping up around your neck while you run. It's easy to tense our arms and shoulders. You might also try warming up your shoulders a bit before you run. We tend to focus only on our legs.
Do some shoulder rolls. A few neck stretches (hold your head down on one side, then the other) Stretch your arms way up to the sky, then stretch them out as far as you can to the side. That sort of thing.
That's what my trainer had us do before we ran. And afterwards, too. I'd never thought of warming up my shoulders before, but it makes sense. I hold a LOT of stress in my neck and shoulders.

Marny, your life sounds so good right now. Remember that much of that is due to YOU and your efforts.
You could be a poster girl for a happy, healthy, serene life. Keep working at it (and I know it's work). Don't you find that the more you do it, the more naturally it comes to you? You sound very much in your "zen" place.

And thank you for encouraging me, as well. I didn't mean to bud in on your achievement, but I was so excited to see someone else running!
I'm ready to run today... even more so, thanks to you!
Old 06-26-2006, 12:41 AM   #5  

Ellis-
Great advice for the neck. I'm going to try those out tomorrow. Thank you!

My life IS really good right now. I'm not obsessing over food, when I'm going to eat, what I'm going to eat, how much I'm going to eat... It frees up a lot of time and mental energy. You are right that I'm working really hard, but the main reason for my amazing success has been that I've given it over to God whole heartedly. I couldn't do this myself.

Bud in?? You are so silly! I love being able to relate to other people, especially in here. Having something in common besides food is a blessing!
Old 06-26-2006, 12:13 PM   #6  

Wow ~ I am so proud of both of you ladies! Right now, WALKING is my goal! LOL! I cannot imagine running. That is truly a wonderful accomplishment!
Old 06-27-2006, 01:07 AM   #7  

water-- Walking is a fantastic goal. It has been my goal for years. It's only by the grace of God that I'm getting a chance to experience running again. I went to Fleet Feet today and got some new shoes. I can't wait to try them out tomorrow morning. hehe.

Ellis-- This morning I paid attention to where my shoulders were. They did want to creep up, so I made a point of keeping them down and relaxed. It helped.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:25 AM   #8  

Thank you, Water!
Walking is just the best. Keep at it, hon.

Marny, I'm glad that helped a little.
What kind of shoes did you get? Are you pleased with them?

I didn't get in here the other day, but I ran on Sunday (five, two-minute intervals alternating with one-minute walks), and did the same last night.
I'm feeling stronger already, and less out of breath.

Keep at it, Marny!!
Old 06-28-2006, 12:48 AM   #9  

Hey Ellis-
I got New Balance 857 Acteva. Yep, so far I'm happy with them. It's my first pair of New Balance. In the past I've run in Adidas and Asics.

Awesome job with your running! Walking inbetween really helps me too to catch my breath. Hurray for feeling stronger!

marny
Old 06-28-2006, 08:11 AM   #10  

I'm glad you got some good shoes, Marny!
I bought myself a pair of Saucony running shoes. They're really good (got them on sale for 130), but they smell weird. (not from me... heh heh) My trainer said his wife wears them, and he warned me about the smell. I keep the shoes in a bag in our front hall, and when I walk in the door, it's like stepping into a barn. There's something in the souls... probably some cancer-causing agent. (I'm such a pessimist)

My knees hurt today. I've never experienced this before. I think (I HOPE!) it's just the muscle around the tops of my knees, but I'm going to rest them today.

Are you running today, Marny?

Edit:
Souls. heh heh. I meant "soles". Or maybe I didn't.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:56 AM   #11  

Helllloooooo!
Nope, no running today. I'm giving my bod a break. Plus, I've got yoga today and want my full energy for it.

Smelly shoes? How strange. I've never heard of such a thing. Maybe it's the fuel in them that makes you go faster!

I think it's a great idea to give your knees a rest. No point in hurting ourselves to the point in not being able to run at all.

I hope that you have a fantabulous day!!
Closed Thread