Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 11:43 AM   #1  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

Default Recommending Weight Watchers

What have you gained from being on the Weight Watchers program? I have a friend who is thinking of joining, and I've given her my reasons, but I was thinking there might be other reasons (benefits to others) that I haven't thought of. I think it's a great program! Thanks for any help!! (This friend is my sister and I love her and want to help her with her weight so she'll be healthier - she is starting to have some health issues that are somewhat weight related)

Thanks!!
cheree
Old 06-22-2006, 03:56 PM   #2  
Starting fresh!

S/C/G: 281/226/184

Height: 6 feet

*It's not a diet so I don't feel hungry or deprived
*The weight comes off fairly consistently so I am always motivated
*The weight stays off, as long as I stick to plan
*I can cheat or have a bad day and still lose weight
*Once you start losing, you get addicted to it and you feel so much better
*The price is worth it compared to the medical bills you might have to pay

I really enjoy it. It's the only thing that works for me. Hope this helps!
Old 06-22-2006, 05:07 PM   #3  
a whole new mel

S/C/G: 163/141/130

I really enjoy it because of the food. Seriously. With other diets (low carb especially) I find it so very difficult to make it work. Having a family, I would end up making two completely different dinners (not only time consuming, but expensive to do so). On WW though, the recipes are fantastic... it's real food that my family enjoys. So we're all getting healthier.

~mel
Old 06-23-2006, 09:39 AM   #4  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

What I like about WW:

It teaches you how to make better food choices.

It teaches you about nutrition and exercise.

It teaches you portion control.

It allows you to eat normal food so you can still have a social life & you don't have to tell everyone that you are on a diet if you don't want to.

It allows you to have normal food so you can make healthy meals for your family and you don't have to buy any special "diet" products if you don't want to or can't afford to.

They encourage you to exercise and give you informational tools to help.

It is a plan that you can stick to for life (my DH is doing it too)

The meetings are a good source of information and support and a great way to meet people.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:39 PM   #5  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Oh yeah, because I went on a search for WW friendly recipes I ended up trying out some new things and it rekindled my passion for cooking!

I've also tried out some veggies and fruits that I never would have thought of trying before.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:26 PM   #6  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

Thanks so much for everyone's responses!!!
Old 06-25-2006, 04:05 PM   #7  
jadedjane

I recommend Weight Watchers to anyone and everyone that asks me about how I managed to lose 170 pounds. I'ts a shocker to people that havent seen me in the past year, so the family reunion was interesting.

There's a handfull of reasons why I feel it's been so successful for me:

1. They offer two differnt plans (Flex & Core) I chose core because it was better suited to my own life. I cook, and I have a family that depends on me to make the food choices for them. So when I make dinner it fits into the core plan and they eat it and love it. I struggle with portion control every day of my life, so with the core plan I'm not as concerned with the quantity I eat, but the quality. Most of the foods that are core have a high nutritional value with a low caloric value. Flex, in my opinion, is an awesome plan for people on the go. You know what your daily points are and you choose how to spend them. If you want fast food, it is possible to make it work with your plan and still lose weight.

2. Weight loss, for me, was at one time, a very personal battle. I often felt like I was alone in my struggle. I was the only person I knew that worried about sitting in chairs and breaking them, not being able to fit into airplane seats, not getting to go on the rides at theme parks because the safety bars wouldn't fit over my body. What weight Watchers offered was a fellowship of people (all shapes and sizes) who were struggling with the exact same issues. I think this is one of the most valuable asset Weight Watchers offered me. I was NOT alone in this. The support meant everything to me.

3. The leaders are leaders because of their success. They know what you're going through because they have been there (some of them - more than once). My leader is fantastic. She's funny, realistic, hates excercise, loves chocolate (who doesn't?) and has a talent for making the meetings interesting. I hit maintainence in Feb, and I still go every week because the information she gives me, in her very "no - nonsense" style stays with me throughout the week and becomes very relevant to my every day life.

4. You get good information on nutrition, recipies, portion sizes, and a sense of accomplishment when you weigh in. Most importantly, we look back at our old habits and try to figure out why we got there in the first place. That's essential for keeping the weight off forever.

One thing to keep in mind:
It's fantastic that you want to help her and she'll be so much healthier for it, but all the encouragemnet in the world can't force her through the doors to the first meeting. It only works if she makes it work. Give her all the information you can, and when she's ready it will happen. Until then keep being what you are now - A great and caring friend.

Start weight: 310
goal weight: 150 (reached in Feb.)
Current weight: 137 (and holding)
Closed Thread