Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-08-2006, 01:43 PM   #1  

Default Is it okay that I'm not out of breath?

I joined a gym about 3 weeks ago. I've actually been getting up at 4:00 am every morning to go since I have to leave for work at 6:15am (yeah me!!). Anyway, I do 30 minutes of weights and hten 30 of cardio. I've started off on the elliptical or the elliptical cross trainer basically because I like them the best and can do it for longer without getting bored, plus it doesn't hurt my knees. Anyway, I can work up a great sweat and get all red in the face but I don't get out of breath. Now if I went running for even 10 minutes I'd be out of breath. Is how winded you get a sign of how good your workout it?

Thanks!
mayday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:50 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

To exercise most efficiently and to improve cardiovascular health as well as burn fat, the recommendation I've always heard is that you should work hard enough that you're breathing is heavy, but that you could still carry on a conversation.

It seems to me, too, that if you can last longer on your current workout routine (doing a full 30 min as opposed to the 10 minutes you'd be able to run), this is better - you're getting your heart rate up to a reasonable level for longer.

All in all, I don't think its a bad thing that you don't get completely out of breath - its what i've heard recommended again and again.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:40 PM   #3  

Mandalinn is right, how inded you are is not a sign of how efficiently your working out. I'm asthmatic, so winded is not a place I want to be. My gym has wearable heart rate monitors, if you have these, give them a try. And get someone at your gym to help you calculate your maximum heart rate.

I've heard you should be able to talk, but not sing. When there is something good on the gym sound system I try and sing to myself, if I can manage it, I go a bit harder! I seem to be able to sing on the rower most times, so I have to stick it on the highest level and row fast!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote