Old 06-03-2006, 10:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/249/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Not eating enough?

I can only seem to lose about 5lbs a month, when I'm aiming for 7lbs-10lbs. I've started going to the gym a few times a week: this past week I burned 1700 calories there. My calorie goal is 1200, but I rarely seem to make it, lately. I'd say 1000 is my average, often dipping down to 800 (I had one bingey day this past week where I got up to 1600). The thing is, it's on the days I go to the gym that I often eat less because I don't like eating right before or right after, so the meal that I would usually have in the middle is gone.

This week I only lost 1.2lbs. It seems that with such a huge calorie deficit I should have lost at least 2lbs.

Would I likely lose more if I made *sure* to eat 1300 calories a day, or is even that too little? I've been toying with figures ranging from 1200-1500, but I'm so confused. I'm really unsure of this "if you don't eat enough, you won't lose" idea.
Kashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 01:03 PM   #2  
I will not fail!

S/C/G: 282/272/180

Height: 5' 10"

You need to eat at least 1200 cal a day especially if you are working out as much as you are. Otherwise your body is going to hold on to the weight you have. Eat at least 1200 cal. But with the weight you are now..I would say eat more like 1400-1600 a day. It doesnt have to be alot of food just eat foods that have more calories in them.
Jtjoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 01:17 PM   #3  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

We might be able to troubleshoot better with more details - do you log what you eat in Fitday where we can see it? Or maybe give us a typical day....I'm with JTjoray, though...you need to fuel your body properly if you are exercising. 1200 as an average over the week so be the lowest you go. At your size - you can probably go higher - give yourself something to move down to as you get closer to goal weight.

5 pounds a month isn't that slow - it will help you keep it off later if you lose slowly. You've lost close to 30 pounds already - !!!!

It sounds like you are consistent with working out - congrats on that, too!! Building these habits now will be extremely helpful when you get to maintenance. I wish I had done weight training when I was first losing - I probably would have had a lot less extra skin. Or at least been toned under the extra skin
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/249/160

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the advice, ladies. I'm going to try for 1300 today. I'm on the right track thus far.

I use a tool other than Fitday to track my calories, and I'm not sure how to link to it. But a sample day:

Breakfast:
50g turkey breast meat
Egg
Kraft fat free single - sharp cheddar
Multivitamin
Astro fat-free yogurt
0.33 cup bran buds
Total: 228 calories, 9g fat, 18g carbs, 19g protein

Snack:
100g apple
1 tsp peanut butter
Total: 90 cals, 3g fat, 16g carbs, 1g protein

Lunch:
1 cup Whole wheat spaghetti
0.5 cup marinara sauce
65g cooked shrimp
Total: 309 cals, 4g fat, 47g carbs, 23g protein

Snack:
50g chicken breast
Total: 55 cals, 1g fat, 0g carbs, 12g protein

Dinner:
0.25 fillet pink salmon
100g mixed vegetables
Astro fat-free yogurt
120g oatmeal
Total: 315 cals, 6g fat, 43g carbs, 24g protein

Daily total: 998 cals, 23g fat, 125g carbs, 79g protein

I aim to have my protein and carbs at about the same number, but I typically go higher with carbs. I make sure to get at least 50g protein in, though.
Kashi is offline   Reply With Quote