General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:41 PM   #1  

Default "french women"

Has anyone read the book; "french women dont get fat"?
I thought it was interesting and had some helpful tips!
Hamza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:24 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

I haven't read the book, but is it about eating unprocessed food? I lived in Paris a while ago, and it's nearly impossible to get fat unless you eat takeaway from North American franchises all the time. Everything's always fresh. You'd have to dig to find stuff like microwave dinners and processed cheese and reconstituted chicken fingers.

Plus, it helps that you have to walk to about five different shops just to get what you need for dinner. Running around to the bakery and then the butcher and then the fruit seller and then the cheese shop is good exercise!
iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:30 PM   #3  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I read parts of it. One of the things that i've taken from it is to eat things in season, they taste so better anyway. I thought that was good advice and have followed it pretty well. Yes, I do remember her talking about how French women didn't exercise, but did lots of walking in their everyday life.

Last edited by jtammy; 06-09-2006 at 02:23 PM.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:10 AM   #4  

Cheese, wine, and chocolate in TINY portions is the idea. Tasty, but not very satisfying to someone with an American appetite.
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:15 PM   #5  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Actually there is more to the book than that. I found it quite an interesting read.

Some of the biggest problems in North America are the consumption of fast food, processed food and large portions.

I firmly believe in not eating "diet products" and relying on fresh food and that having a little of something really good is better than having a lot of some fake diet food. I eat real butter and have real cream in my coffee and have good quality dark chocolate whenever I feel like it.

I've been doing this for quite a few years but relying on Weight Watchers to help me with portion control. I have also found that by cooking simple meals using fresh ingredients and experimenting with herbs and spices I have rediscovered my love for cooking and can't stand the taste of processed food anymore.

I liked the author's philosophy of not treating food as the enemy.
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:54 PM   #6  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Wow this is really good info for me. Thanks ladies. Maybe i'll have to pick up this book. BTW - ~Hamza~ beautiful avatar, don't know if that is your house or not, but its lovely!
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:51 PM   #7  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Yes, she also advocated walking whenever possible and taking stairs instead of the elevator or escalator.
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:25 PM   #8  

Hi, i read the book and its very good. alot of inthusium from it. they have there wine alot. but sound good. have a good day to all. LaDean
LaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:21 PM   #9  
Friend to Little Doggies

S/C/G: 145/143/120

Height: 5'1"

I did read it. Now I'm reading "Japanese Women don't get Old or Fat". The food seems a bit healthier, but most of the concepts are the same as the French Women book....

CCC
ChicCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:42 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 226/220/140

Height: 5'5"

I have Michel Montignac's book "eat yourself slim" and I really like what he
has to say. and yes, it really makes sense. I haven't read the Japanese women book yet but it's next on my list after the Four Courners Diet book
I'm reading now.
catcookie is offline   Reply With Quote