Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-31-2006, 04:47 PM   #1  

Default progress and set backs

Hi all, I really like reading this forum, but I do not post as much as I should. So far I've lost 162 pounds in 7 months. I'm very happy about that, but I've also experienced some problems. For about two months, I was throwing up a lot after eating. I was throwing up about 2 or 3 times a week. I tried to figure out what was making me throw up. Salads, pasta, one time it was just some jello.

A couple of weeks ago, I went to Chinese food with my Dad. I made sure that they didn't have any msg and just had some chicken and stir fry. I even had that dish at that place before. The only thing diffferent was that I had less than a forkful of rice. I was feeling bad for a couple of hours. I threw up a little at my father's house and then again on the side of the road driving home. I thought I would be fine, because that's what usually happens. I throw up my food and I feel fine afterwards. But my stomach continued to bother me, particularly if I turned to my sides. I fell asleep, but then woke up in the middle of the night. I threw up some blood. I called my doctor immediately.

He said that the rice probably got stuck and that I may have tore something. I had a scope done and I have an ulcer where my stomach and small intestine meets. They also stretched out where my stomach meets my intestines a little bit. I'm taking medicine now and I go back to see him tomorrow. I knew that pasta and rice could get stuck, but I thought because it was such a small amount it would be fine. So word to the wise, make sure that your pasta and rice is not just cooked but overcooked and mushy (which doesn't sound very appealing.) I've been missing Italian food and I occasionally watch this show on the Food Network called "Weighing In." They had a recipe for spaghetti squash recently that I tried out last night. It was good, and gave me the feel of pasta that I've been craving.

The link to the recipe is: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/...L-PAGE,00.html
invisigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:22 PM   #2  

Wow, that's an overwhelming weight loss invisigoth. How's your energy level overall these days???? Between what you've lost and your tummy problems I'm sure some days are really rough.

Texture makes such a difference doesn't it? And it seems once your stomach is aggravated (and with your problems it most certainly is) even the mildest of things won't sit right. Like the jello you mentioned.

That recipe looks delicious btw! Very flavourful. I'm adding it to my 'have to try it' list.

I'm glad to read your update and hope to hear from you again. Soon.
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:53 AM   #3  

My energy levels are mostly good, although I do have bad days. I'm really not liking work right now, but I think that is something that's been building for awhile. I need to find a new job.

According to my sister-in-law's scales, I might have gained a few pounds since my last doc's visit a couple of weeks ago. I'm not happy about that, but at least I'm able to hold down more food than before the scope. Yesterday though, I did throw up a little after my lunch. I had some steak picado. I know that beef is hard to digest, so maybe it was that. Or it could have been the little bit of flour tortilla that I had with it. It seems that every time I have a flour tortilla, I get sick. It just tasted so good because it was handmade. Corn tortillas I don't seem to have a problem with.

I don't seem to have a problem with freaking tortilla chips or potato chips. This weekend I visited my sister and scarfed down on chips, shaved ice and a slice of cake. I haven't dumped on sugar, which scares me because that is a real weakness.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:57 PM   #4  

I'm thinking you may just be at a point where you need to start doing some real levelling anyway invisigoth. If you can allow yourself more of the things your body can really work with somehow, it will lessen the cravings for carbs.

shaved ice and chips huh? and cake for dessert lol.
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:20 PM   #5  

I went to my doctor yesterday. I'm down 2.5 pounds, so I guess my sister-in-law's scale is off. It's a lot less weight loss than I've been seeing in the past. But that's ok by me. I do feel I've been loosing fast, and I'm sick of the comments of my co-workers that I'm too freakin' skinny. My God, I'm still overweight. I'm very happy I'm not morbidly obese anymore, but it really is not like I'm a freakin' toothpick.

I just got to not pig out on chips, make sure I'm doing my walks and try to find better snack food.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:57 AM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisigoth
I just got to not pig out on chips, make sure I'm doing my walks and try to find better snack food.
Geepers girl, congrats on your weight loss WTG!!!!!!

I agree, the chips and junk goes down way to easy. I'm in the same boat, gotta lay off the crap, start exericising and find better snacks.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:02 AM   #7  
Old Cackler

soy chips can help. a little like styrofoam, but not the end of the world. BJs has a case of them in single serving bags [thank goodness!] in white cheddar, ranch, and cinnamon apple.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote