General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 04:21 AM   #1  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

Default You've got you be kidding me

"The Olsen twins, Mary-Kate and Ashley are further broadening their vast empire to include a new health and nutrition TV show for young children, according to media reports.

A source tells Us Weekly, "It will focus on fitness and healthy eating." The duo has reportedly received mixed reactions about their new concept. The source adds, "Some execs are weirded out to do a show about food and nutrition with the Olsens."

However a spokesperson for the girls said that the two are healthy and perfect for the show.

In 2004, Mary-Kate was the center of many media reports as she faced her battle with anorexia.

The two sisters have met with TV executives about the new program which is intended to appeal to the four-to-five-year-olds who are sporty.

No further details have been released regarding the possible project."

http://news.worldfitness.ca/news/052...tionTVShow.php

Sure, they are 'past' the drugs and eating disordereds, but I personally would want children looking upto these stick thin creatures as 'healthy' and a product of exercise
Old 05-31-2006, 05:00 AM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

FOUR and FIVE year olds looking up to the Olsen Twins for NUTRITION advice? HA!

Honestly... I don't think a child that young should even be THINKING about that stuff... I have a 2 year old and I believe it's up to me to make sure he's got healthy food on his plate. Lead by example!!! He doesn't need to watch kids on TV telling him what to eat... sheesh! That's just crazy anyway. They are FAR from what I'd call rolemodels for healthy body image, healthy nutrition, healthy anything!
Old 05-31-2006, 06:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/165.5/142

Good Heavens!
Old 05-31-2006, 07:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Okay-my kids aren't going to be watching that. I don't even buy my daughter the Olsen Twins clothing at Wal-Mart-even though the outfits are cute-because I don't see them as good role models for girls.

They were cute and fun when they were about 12 and doing the "tween" movies...but ever since they started with the stick-thin bodies, the partying, and the eating disorders...

Honestly, they do not look like they have exercises a day in their lives. They only look "starved". There are thin women with "muscle tone" and these girls have none. Their arms look like sticks.

I do expose my kids to health and nutrition information-but in "fun" ways. My 5 year old does the Sesame Street health/exercise dvds...and I have a kids yoga dvd for 3-6 year olds which is GREAT. I don't think I am going to switch him over to the Olsens.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:36 AM   #5  
Jaded Lady & Mom of 2

S/C/G: 242/242/160

Height: 5'6"

I read that article yesterday and just laughed my head off.

whoever came up with that idea gets a big
Old 05-31-2006, 09:19 AM   #6  
No description available.

This is too bad. There are some wonderful (athletic) role models they could choose from for a show like this...Landon Donovan comes to mind. Someone who combines lots of exercise with common sense nutrition.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:15 AM   #7  
ugggg.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil
Okay-my kids aren't going to be watching that. I don't even buy my daughter the Olsen Twins clothing at Wal-Mart-even though the outfits are cute-because I don't see them as good role models for girls.

They were cute and fun when they were about 12 and doing the "tween" movies...but ever since they started with the stick-thin bodies, the partying, and the eating disorders...

Honestly, they do not look like they have exercises a day in their lives. They only look "starved". There are thin women with "muscle tone" and these girls have none. Their arms look like sticks.

I do expose my kids to health and nutrition information-but in "fun" ways. My 5 year old does the Sesame Street health/exercise dvds...and I have a kids yoga dvd for 3-6 year olds which is GREAT. I don't think I am going to switch him over to the Olsens.
There are some products for kids on the Gaiam website too..I think they have yoga mats and stability balls...I'll have to look again..
Old 05-31-2006, 11:54 AM   #8  
Addicted to potato salad!

The Olsen Twins teaching young girls about fitness and nutrition? Now THAT's a good one...it's like having Britney and Kevin or Brangelina teach us about child safety or commitment and family values. YIKES!!

I've been trying to think of someone in the Pop Culture set that would be a good role model for a fitness video for the tween girls...I really can't think of anyone. JoJo might be good or even Raven...although she's a little heavy (as compared to her peers), I, myself, get a lot of fashion ideas from her. I think she's a wonderful example for girls that you don't have to be a rail to be popular, cool and happy. Its so hard to direct your daughters' attention in the direction of an unhealthy idol. I was going to say "these days", but I think its been this way for a loooong time. The skinnier the better, it seems. I hope that trend changes soon. I used to love Hilary Duff, but have you guys taken a look at her in the last, say, year? Gosh, she really needs to eat a cheeseburger or something. Sad to see the good ones go by the wayside...
Old 05-31-2006, 12:33 PM   #9  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwife
I used to love Hilary Duff, but have you guys taken a look at her in the last, say, year? Gosh, she really needs to eat a cheeseburger or something. Sad to see the good ones go by the wayside...
I am not a huge Hilary Duff fan but any means but I always thought she pretty and cute and enjoyed watching movies like Cinderella Story. My sister (10 years old) likes her so for X-Mas we got her tickets to see her in concert. So we got to the concernt in January and she was SOOO skinny it didn't even look like her. I thought it was a Hilary Duff look-a-like - I was discusted! Good concert tho
Old 05-31-2006, 03:59 PM   #10  
Cani Princess

It's like Serena or Venus Williams doing McDonald's commercials...completely contradictory!
My boys will have nutritious food on their plates, plenty of involvement in sporty or artistic activities and VERY limited television time. (I'm still working on DH to ban video games completley, hehehe) Our family times will be spent on the hiking trails, on bikes or at parks....I think I've got it covered over the Olsen twins, tee hee
Old 05-31-2006, 06:50 PM   #11  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Now that's a good one! NOT! They really can't be serious. Hopefully they rethink this and find someone else. The Olsen twins as role models for heath and nutrition???? I think I have heard it all now.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:46 PM   #12  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwife
The Olsen Twins teaching young girls about fitness and nutrition? Now THAT's a good one...it's like having Britney and Kevin or Brangelina teach us about child safety or commitment and family values. YIKES!!
Old 05-31-2006, 09:52 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 265/262.2/190

Height: 5'10"

I have a 4 year old girl. She is healthy, happy, and active - and has NO idea who the olsen twins are. That is how it's going to stay! I encourage my daughter to be proud of her muscles, to be proud of how far she can throw or kick a ball and how fast she can run. She's skinny, as most young kids are at one point or another, but I never comment on that at all. She's as big as she needs to be now and I don't want her to focus on the size of her body. I want her to be proud of her abilities, not her size.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:16 PM   #14  

I was able to keep my kids focused away from whoever and whatever was popular when they were small (it's been too long - can't remember that far back), but when they hit school all bets were off. However, I had managed to instill in them that they should define themselves by what was in them rather than what they were bombarded with. Not a perfect situation every minute of every day, but there was something that I could reach between their ears and jerk out and say, "LOOK!"

Of course, I had boys - I suspect that it's easier to do this with boys than with girls.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:30 AM   #15  
Melting Butter

Somehow I just never quite saw these girls in this light...as role models for nutrition? I don't think Starbucks and a pack of cigarettes qualifies as proper nutrition.
Closed Thread