Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 05-26-2006, 04:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/209/150

Height: 5'6

Default 1st med eval appt.

Just wondering what to expect. Next Tuesday I have my first med evaluation appointment. I have been on meds in the past, but always prescribed by my GP and just got sick being put on whatever was "popular".

I did have a counseling session with a therapist, Cried the entire session and she said I definately needed to be on something and she recommended the med eval - I have waited 3 weeks for this appt, and I am now starting to get cold feet about going in for the evaluation...i dont know why, but I am scared. I was supposed to go in for counseling yesteday but cancelled since I hadnt been in for med eval yet..sorry for rambling.so Tuesday is the day that I hope to get on track with my mind and body.

Pam
pmteub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:15 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Pam and

I can't blame you for being nervous, I think its only normal that you are. Its great you are going and this is easier said than done but try to relax, your gonna do just fine. Remember those doctors are human just like you and I.

Hugs and let us know how you do... okay.

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/209/150

Height: 5'6

My med eval went really well. I was really nervous but quickly opened up and talked to him. He says I have a really good handle on my depression - he put me on Zoloft and said he will gradually increase the dose and I should continue seeing my counselor to help get through some self esteem issues.

I did laugh during the visit- I told him I felt out of control with my depression - how can I be depressed - I have a great husband, great kids, good job, nice house, and I looked over at him and he was smiling - I asked what he was smiling about and he said "you just gave the defenition of depression - you dont have it because there is something wrong with you - its because your missing a chemical balance" After he said it, it all just clicked.

I am not on meds because there is something "wrong" that needs to be fixed. For me its a medical necessity, like a hearing aid. So even though I find it embarassing to be on meds - this is something I MUST continue to do - even after I start "feeling better"

Pam
pmteub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:07 PM   #4  
No description available.

Pam, you are so right about the medications. What a great attitude you have...and it sounds like you have some great professionals helping you out.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote