Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-23-2006, 08:44 PM   #1  

Default Just a Word or Two

I'm still around. Still reading here. Not doing so great but hey, that's part of the circle of things right?

Just trying to figure some stuff out for now.

Thought I better break silence and say something.

So there ya go.
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 277/134/140

Height: 5'4"

It's really great to hear from you hubs. I've been wondering how you were doing. You know... you are one of my heros in here.
magi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:59 PM   #3  

Thanks Magi. I'm not feeling too much like a hero these days. But I'm working on it.

Just haven't quite picked myself up since the meeting with the plastic surgeon.

Its nice to know you're here. You and so many others.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:03 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hey Hubs, welcome back.

Whats shakin toots? talk to us.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:14 AM   #5  
Angela

S/C/G: 275/260/150?

Hey there Hubs,

Was wondering how you were doing. Think about you often... Talk to us hon...
CJsPrincess816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:48 PM   #6  

I'll be back in soon.

Long story short, I have finally been able to take a step in the plastic direction again and have an out of Province appointment with a surgeon EXPERT in post weight loss, post gastroplasty. He's considered the best in the country. My doctor is supporting my request for my medical insurance to provide coverage as they agreed to here. And this man has an entirely different approach surgically which allows him to address the vascularity/necrotic tissue concern. I've spoken today to one of his patients who is 53 (I'm 50 this summer), has had several surgeries at his hands and who leads a support group with 75 active members who have also been his patients. She told me to use her name when I called his office this morning and she was sure he'd get me in right away. He had a cancellation for tomorrow afternoon so I'm dropping everything else and making the 6 hour drive tonight. Fortunately, I also have clients there so I can combine some business with this tomorrow too but that's just a bonus at this point.

I'm scared to be hopeful again. Its been a long, long wait but I'm told he actually processes the paper work and doesn't believe in keeping his patients waiting for years as I have been to date.

Wish me luck.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 277/134/140

Height: 5'4"

OHHHHH Hubs !! I've got my fingers and toes crossed....saying prayers and hail mary's....whatever it takes !!!!!!
magi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:35 AM   #8  

Hubs.. I am feeling optimistic about this new surgeon (based on what you said about him), I hope it all works fine for you.. But I am wondering how is your general health, the last time you posted, you were malnourished.. Are you better now? Keep us posted and good luck
Della1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:08 PM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Oh boy... GOOD LUCK !!!!!

I know your frustration only to well, but try to keep positive. If its meant to be than it will be... have faith.

Let us know how you make out when you get home.

HUGS !!!
Old 05-26-2006, 03:43 PM   #10  
Angela

S/C/G: 275/260/150?

Keeping you in my prayers. Good luck Hubs!
CJsPrincess816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:22 AM   #11  
Old Cackler

sending hugs and warm thoughts and the conviction that THIS WILL WORK OUT!!!!! you might have some work to do on your end, but i have a good feeling about this.

thank you for posting. you've been missed.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:53 AM   #12  

This may be a little long.

As many of you know I was knocked pretty hard in early April. I knew I had to eat more. Weight loss has not progressed for the past couple of months. And no surgery which meant that I was forced to look at living in this body as it is for the rest of my life. You'd think after losing as much as I have that would be ok right? But it wasn't. You know the old saying ' I might be fat but I can lose weight'?? Well, all of a sudden things seemed to have gone as far as they could and it wasn't far enough. I REALLY crashed hard into feelings of despair, and lots of anger.

So, fast forward to yesterday. When I first sat across from this surgeon and he read the letter's from the last guy who refused to do me, he flat out said I was NOT a candidate based on that information with a severe tone. But he said he'd take a look at my stomach since I was there. When he examined me, he stood there and looked, and looked, and looked. And finally said 'so where's this incision from the gallbladder?!?!' I pointed WAY down where it sits about on a par with my belly button which is below the belt line buy inches. He said 'its way down THERE?!?!' Then he said 'ok, that changes everything. I expected after reading all of that that it would be just under your ribs and right breast because they're usually very high.' It probably started out that way when I was 350 but its sure not high any more.

So after he examined me carefully we sat and talked and reviewd so many things. I'm approved for a full beltline abdominoplasty (not just the pannus removal) which means starting at the back and coming around full throttle. Believe it or not, he says he can make me quite tiny and expects to remove about 75 pounds with the lipo that runs into the hips and thighs on top of what he removes. Amazing. I mean, amazing.

He wrote me a prescription for a new medication that's a narcotic analog which he said is very effective for post op pain for those who have narcotic allergies as I do and asked me to try it right away BEFORE the surgery. I took some last night and no reaction thank God.

We talked about my concerns over the Raynaud's Syndrome in terms of the importance of doing the surgery when its hot outside so I'm not having problems maintaining body temperature and circulation.

Last time I crashed in recovery I was also still on Metformin which was not a good drug for me. I was suffering from a reasonable buildup of lactic acid in my muscles and of course the heart is a muscle. I've been off it for nearly a year now and I believe that will make a difference in terms of risk too.

I've been eating my supplements like crazy and as most of you know that means a complex mix of stuff well into the therapeutic range. I'll keep doing that, and I'm eating more too. The palpitations are still present but I'll be cutting caffeine altogether effective today.

So here's the really big news. Because I brought him all he needed to bill my insurance, I will be in possibly the week of June 5 and if not, then a firm date of July 17. But I'm thinking June will happen. I have a speaking engagement on both June 5 and 27 but if I can get in on say June 8 I should be ok for speaking again by the 27. Pushing it I know, but I want as many weeks in the summer to heal as I can possibly get.

So there you go. Your prayers and good thoughts must have helped shine some light on my path ladies. Thanks so much.

75 pounds!!! There won't be anything left of me!!!
Old 05-27-2006, 02:21 PM   #13  

Hubs this is so great!!! I am so happy for you
Finally, the light at the end of the tunnel

Good luck with everything
D.
Della1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:36 PM   #14  
Old Cackler

oh hubs. i'm so happy for you - you're getting what you want and with someone who actually knows what he's doing and can help you!!!!

ya GOTTA keep us posted. right?
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:15 PM   #15  
Moderator & Happy Chick

WTG ! WHOOT !!!!! take ooodles of pictures so we can see please. I'm glad things are working out for you.