Old 05-10-2006, 11:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/169/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Food on the go?

We all know the benefits of 'clean food', of making your own healthy, yummy, homecooked meals: cheaper, portion control, etc etc.

But sometimes ya just don't have the time for that! So I was wondering what you ladies had discovered for good 'on the go' conveinence type food or snacks. Or dare I say it, fast food?

I'll start: I tried the Asian Salad with grilled chicken and low fat sesame ginger dressing from McDonalds today. I thought it was really yummy! There was snow peas, glazed grilled chicken, romaine and baby spinach, mandarin oranges, almonds, and some sort of green bean or pea. I'm glad that I didn't immediately pour the dressing on, though. The chicken comes in an orange glaze sauce that sweetens the salad, so I didn't need much dressing after that. It was very tasty overall!

edit: The salad has 290 calories, 10 grams of fat, and is 6 points on weight watchers. The dressing is 90 calories, but I used maybe 1/4 of the packet it comes in.

What are some of your favorites?

Last edited by PandyCat; 05-10-2006 at 11:29 PM.
PandyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:06 AM   #2  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I always buy pre-cut veggies, even though they're more expensive, 'cause I know I'm way more likely to eat them. I love those sundried tomato and basil tunas - perfect size and you can just spread it on crackers. And the Lean Cuisine Asian salmon meal is a definite favorite. I can't eat in fast food restaurants 'cause I hate the smell of them, so I just look for easy stuff to pack as a lunch.
ooh, and All Bran bars - they're kinda sweet, so i pretend they're a treat!
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:34 PM   #3  
Angie

I like the fast food salads too, but i use my own fat free dressing that i buy in mini bottles. I have one at work too, and some small containers that i will put the dressing in to take with me if i know im going to be running all day long and will need to stop for something.
I used to love Wendy's fruit and yogart things they had, but i think they're not longer offered by me.. or I just hit up subway with light mayo on it.
angelfadedblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:39 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

My favorites if I have to get a snack out: beef jerky. It is high sodium, but relatively low in calories and really low in fat. It works, and you can find it at any gas station, anywhere. I try, though, to pack snacks if I can - things that are easily portable include babybel cheeses with some crackers, etc.

Subway is good for meals, if you get a low-cal sandwich and watch the extras. I have been getting the all-fruit smoothies at jamba juice lately - I add a protein boost so it has some extra holding power, and a fiber boost. Make sure you get an all-fruit version, though! The other ones have LOTS more calories - the all fruit with protein and fiber is only about 350, which is a reasonable meal, and it sticks pretty well (and has all 5 of your servings of fruit!)
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:08 PM   #5  
back at it

S/C/G: 178/175/145

Height: 5'8"

I also eat lots of Lean Cuisines for lunches and i try and keep dried fruits and unsalted nuts with me (from farmer's market) for snacking.
denice81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:49 AM   #6  

I may have to try that fruit smoothie, Mandalinn, I love Jamba Juice...of course, I like the kind with sugary apple juice and other bad-for-me stuff But an all-fruit smoothie sounds good. Getting in all 5 at once sounds good, sometimes I struggle to get my 5 a day.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:08 PM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I have never heard of Jamba Juice--I'm guessing we don't have any near me. I do like to make my own smoothies, though. I buy 5-pound bags of frozen strawberries so they last forever, and I buy bananas every week. My 2 favorite smoothies to make are:
  • frozen strawberries, whole banana, skim milk, and fat-free Cool Whip
  • 1.5 bananas (2 if they are small), 1-2 tbsps natural peanut butter, small splash of vanilla, and skim milk
If you use a lot of fruit, then there's no need to add extra sugar (although I do have a box of Splenda if I feel like adding it). It's a really quick morning breakfast for me, and not too heavy to start the day.

As for on-the-go, I have little bags of frozen grapes in the freezer I can grab to eat in the car on my way anywhere if I need to. I also buy dried cranberries (the natural ones, not the commercial ones) and roasted sunflower seed kernels, so they don't need any preparation. Ooh, and small cans of fruit (packed in juice, not syrup) with the tab on the lid so you don't need a can opener. And I always have a packet of instant oatmeal in my purse--just add water!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:54 PM   #8  

Mmm, smoothies... I usually throw 5-6 frozen strawberries, 1/2 banana, 1/2c plain yogurt, and a splash of 1% milk together for mine... Though if you're not used to plain yogurt it might seem a little bitter (you can use vanilla yogurt too). I just like the thicker consistency of yogurt over milk.

This weekend I discovered Special K Snack Bites... 90 cals for a package, and they taste pretty good too! I will definitely buy them again!
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:10 PM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by britomart
I just like the thicker consistency of yogurt over milk.
I tried using yogurt once--ended up throwing the whole thing of yogurt out and never looking back IT was just too overwhelming to me. I actually use so many strawberries that I sometimes have to eat my smoothie with a spoon because it's too thick to drink (I use a single cup size on my Magic Bullet instead of a big blender, so I don't have room to just add more milk if I need to).

I wish Magic Bullet made lids with straws for the cups--that would be PERFECTION
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:52 PM   #10  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I love using fresh vanilla soy milk in my smoothies (i hate milk) 'cause it's sweet and makes it taste more like a milk shake, and you can get it fortified with calcium, so it's good for you, too
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:35 PM   #11  

Now I really want to go make some smoothies! Might have to go and get some fresh strawberries and see what I can whip up. There's a 'pick your own' farm about 3 miles from my parents' place--2 quarts worth for $5! ::drools::
Old 05-15-2006, 11:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

I'm low-carbing it, so I stick to Beef Jerky from the gas station, although, I've been buying Protein bars lately, and they REALLY fill you up! Snicker's Marathon ones taste REALLY good, and they have one with only 3 net carbs, called fudge brownie, and it actually TASTES like a brownie! (Not all super protein like so many others). String cheese is a good snack, but you have to be able to keep it cold.
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote