Old 05-08-2006, 04:51 PM   #1  
NEVER Give Up:)

S/C/G: 260**212**160

Height: 5' 4"

Question Daily Water Intake...

I talk to a lady on another site and she told me that a person needs to drink atleast half of their current weight amount in ounces each day to meet the daily requirement. This would mean that I need to drink 120 ounces of water per day to flush out my system. I thought I was doing good getting in 72 ounces a day, but I'm now trying to increase it. Has anyone else heard of this amount before?
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:08 PM   #2  
ydkj05

I have also heard this but, I don't know if it is true or not. That seems like a lot of water to take in a day.
ydkj05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

There are tons of theories out there about how much or how little water you should take in. I have heard of that one before. What I do is to drink what feels right. Some days that may only be 48 oz. others I may drink well over a gallon. I let my body lead on that front. I can tell you on days when I'm not getting enough, my body does let me know and I try to get in an extra glass or two. HTH.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:15 PM   #4  

Thanks for that info. It seemed a little high to me, but I am trying to increase my intake some.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:26 PM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I have heard that as well (half your body weight in ounces). However, I believe that's how much water you need to take in total. Remember that we get water from ALL beverages, not just plain water, and also from almost all foods we eat. Think about how much water is in fruits and veggies and dairy--we take all of that in and yet think we still need an ADDITIONAL 100+ ounces of water each day? There's not really much science behind it--in fact, the medical community doesn't even know how the originally suggested 8 servings of water a day came about--it's pretty much a random guideline that has become practically law
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:48 PM   #6  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Another poster, Wyllen, posted a link to an excellent article a few months back debunking the 8-a-day "rule". I'll see if I can find it.

For the record, I do about 72 oz a day. Why? Not sure, really! Superstition?
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:50 PM   #7  
Embracing My New Normal

Bleh, couldn't find it on "search".
Old 05-08-2006, 05:53 PM   #8  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less of Lena
For the record, I do about 72 oz a day. Why? Not sure, really! Superstition?
I think it's good to choose an amount with which you're comfortable. As human beings in general, it's usually easier for us to have set limits and/or amounts rather than just drink "enough until I feel good." I mean, most of us here have (or have had) major problems with eating "enough," so we need guidelines (number of calories, number of carbs, number of food group exchanges, whatever it is you measure), so it stands to reason that we would do better with a specific measurable amount of water each day.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:00 PM   #9  
Embracing My New Normal

Found it! Here it is:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

Discussion was in a thread called Question from me!! started on April 9th.

HTH
Old 05-08-2006, 06:13 PM   #10  
Embracing My New Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
I think it's good to choose an amount with which you're comfortable.
Yeah, 72 is more than I feel comfortable with (makes me run to the bathroom too much). Sadly, I feel guilty if I just do 48... or less. But I'm definitely more comfortable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
I mean, most of us here have (or have had) major problems with eating "enough,"...
Hehehe I never had a problem with eating "enough". Three times "enough" is more like it!
Old 05-08-2006, 08:20 PM   #11  

Thank you Jill and Lena for all of that info, and that article is interesting. I was thinking there's no way I could get 120 ounces of water down me a day, because I'm already in the bathroom so much with the 72 ounces I drink! I will however try to increase it over time as much as I feel comfortable with.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:50 PM   #12  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less of Lena
Hehehe I never had a problem with eating "enough". Three times "enough" is more like it!
Well, what I meant was that we have issues with knowing what the right amount is, whether that means we have too much or too little
Old 05-09-2006, 07:29 AM   #13  

Michelle, if I were you, I wouldn't bother trying to increase it at all... and I would cut back if I were running to the bathroom all the time. I honestly can't believe how many people on these boards are OBSESSED with water intake, especially since it is so unnecessary. I agree with Jill that it probably helps some overweight people to have a set number of ounces per day just because everything else is a set amount as well.
I wouldn't recommend to anyone to be water-logging themselves to lose weight... if the weight is gonna come off, it will regardless of water intake.
The important thing is getting enough overall fluids from beverages and foods, and it is highly unlikely that anyone here does not get enough from regular intake (without also adding more water because they're "supposed to").
Don't do anything you don't feel comfortable with and don't let anyone talk you into anything. If you hear any advice in 3fc or anywhere else that doesn't seem right, do a search on the internet and try to find some hardcore facts.
buckettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:45 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Wow, Jill and Lena already posted what I was going to say!

And Michelle, that pug is adorable!!! I have 2 at home myself!! (right now, both lying next to me!!)
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote