Old 05-05-2006, 08:39 AM   #1  
Just getting started

S/C/G: 278/278/140

Default First time to the gym...

Ok, today is the first time I'm going to the gym. Took a lot just for me to walk in yesterday and look at all the fit people working out while we took the tour and got signed up for membership. I'm seriously scared to go over there this morning. I want to start by swimming and doing treadmil and light weights. I put on my swimsuit (haven't had it on in 2 years) and almost screamed when I saw myself in the mirror.

I know I need to get over this fear somehow. Working out there is going to help me so much. My fiance is going to go with me whenever he can, but I know I'll still be by myself a lot. Can anyone give me some good advise on how to feel better about this? I have the motivation, I'm just scared!
Skyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:32 AM   #2  
Dream Big

S/C/G: 233.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'2

I had the same feelings when I joined the gym. Heck, I still do everytime I put on my swimsuit and walk out to the pool. I just started looking at it like if i keep at it and work hard I will be one of those fit and thin people too. I use it for motivation. I've also met a few people who let me know (after seeing me struggling with some of my workout) that they used to look like me and they used to stuggle too (they now have great bods) and they are very encouraging and helpful. I used to think that everyone would look at me and be like god she's fat, or look at that fat woman trying to exercise, but I've found that no one really looks at anyone. They are concentrating on their workout, listening to their music or watching the tv's. Congrat's on your choice to get healthy and fit. YOU CAN DO IT!! Oh also i bought a huge beach towel, and have found that it helps me alot to wrap it around myself until I get to the pool. It makes me feel less....exposed I guess.
timmyshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:34 AM   #3  
One pound at a time...

First of all Skyward, to the thread! I know how you feel, I felt like that when I joined my first gym years ago. Good for you for making that first step. Heather has already said what I was going to post. Believe me when I say everyone is too busy thinking about their own workout. I know you feel self concious, but you will find it will get better.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 278/268/130

Height: 5' 2"

Skyward... WELCOME! I think we all started with that fear... but I have to tell you, I started the same way as you, and today do you know what I did? I JOGGED on the treadmill... and I didn't die... and I didn't fall off! I started 3 months ago and couldn't get to 2MPH... now I'm jogging at over 4MPH. You can do it too! Don't give up! My trainer gave me the very best advice when he said to think of it as something you HAVE to do to live! Best of luck!
Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:56 AM   #5  

What really helped me was this, I had two instructors at two different gyms last year and both said they would much rather support and help a committed, motivated, out of shape person, that someone who is slim, not committed and expecting instant results.

Keep it up and you will soon be an inspiration to others. I am forever being asked for tips and assistance by instructors and the gym.

I hated wearing a swimsuit at a size 26, but I swum nearly every day, and still do, it's a lot nicer now I am slimmer, but I still have a long way before I can wear a swimsuit and feel pretty.

My gym friends are the greatest, they notice every little improvement in my body and give me such great feedback, support and encouragement.

I really hope you learn to love the gym as much as I do!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:02 AM   #6  
Winning by Losing

S/C/G: 263/208/150

Height: 5'8"

I loved going to the gym. I preferred Ladies Choice because I just felt more comfortable there. There isn't one of those close by anymore, and I don't really want to do Curves, but I would like to start going to the gym again.

Anyway, I think it's wonderful you took that step to join the gym! Good for you! Everyone is right ... those people are too into what they are doing and their workout to pay much attention to anything else, but believe me ... I understand how you feel!
karistiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:43 AM   #7  
Just getting started

S/C/G: 278/278/140

Thanks so much for your encouragement... it is sooooo appreciated!! I just got back from swimming for 40 minutes. (There were only 4 people in the pool area... Yay!) I feel absolutely great!! I haven't felt like this in years... it's amazing that just one bit of exercise like that could feel this great. I've been walking for a couple months now, but that always seems like work. This was fun!!
Skyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:05 PM   #8  
NEVER Give Up:)

S/C/G: 260**212**160

Height: 5' 4"

We used to belong to a gym here in town and I really liked it there; the atmosphere was really great! Right now we're trying to get taxes paid off, so in the meantime, I've been doing WATP in my home, because I have several of these dvds. I'm hoping in a few months to join the gym again, and by then, hopefully my weight will be a little lower and I can also start strength training too.
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:11 PM   #9  

I love love love swimming. Everything else feels like work (except pilates and yoga, I love those two) I do the other stuff because I get results, and I do enjoy it a bit, but swimming is just pure relaxation and fun to me. I never feel big in the water, even at my biggest, it was only the 9 steps from the changing room to the pool steps that I hated. Once I was in the water I felt like a mermaid, and still do!!!
Old 05-05-2006, 03:20 PM   #10  

Height: 5' 7"

I take a couple of water aerobics classes, and swim laps twice a week. I must be kykaree's older, fatter twin, I enjoy the water so much!

I find the other ladies to be my biggest support - I'm not the largest in the class - we just had a couple of weeks off between sessions, and several women commented on how much better I'm looking when all assembled - I've lost almost 3 inches from my waist - it's all this exercise

The lifeguards in the lap pool are also starting to get to know me, and we're beginning to talk a bit.

Almost noone judges us as harshly as we judge ourselves.

Sue
KristasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:35 PM   #11  
No description available.

Yea for you! I am so proud of you that you overcame your nervousness and you did it!! HOORAY!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:34 PM   #12  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

This is precisely the reason why I opted to go to Slim and Tone as opposed to the mega gym a few doors down. I like the fact that only women are there. I do wish they had a pool or hot tub!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:42 PM   #13  
I've had a rough week...

S/C/G: 245/234.5/230

I'm the same way... although it's even worse for me! I'm working at the gym I feel like a blimp compared to all the little tiny girls that work there! (I worked there in high school and needed a part time job and figured the free membership was a great perk!)

One thing I've decided to do (and it may or may not work for you) is to go EARLY in the morning for my workout! That way there's fewer people there and I don't have to feel AS self conscious!
MtaTJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:04 PM   #14  

I've never belonged to a ladies only gym. The best supporters I have are the men!!! Guys really seem to notice stuff, like improvements in strength, agility and fitness. I really like my male gym friends. Oh and they make nice entertainment too!!! My favourite treadmill is at the edge of the heavy weights area, very nice!!!

I was so frightened of joining a gym, I can't believe I've now been a member of three during this journey!
Old 05-06-2006, 09:52 PM   #15  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Hi Skyward,

Good for you for getting the courage to go to the gym! I'm still waiting for my dose of courage so that I can do it. It's very encouraging to hear everyone's comments.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote