Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 07:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Looking for "Easter Breakfast Casserole"

I had set aside a "Easter Breakfast Casserole" recipe that had sausage, eggs, and raisin bread. I was gonna convert everything to lowfat, but before I could do it I had lost the recipe. If anyone has a recipe that might be close to the one I'm looking for could you please post it?

Nanj
Old 08-09-2001, 09:05 AM   #2  

Default Breakfast Egg Casserole

Hi Nanj

Here is a lighter version of what you had. It uses light/low-fat ingredients and replaces the sausage with broccoli.

Hope it helps you out.

Tobey.

BREAKFAST EGG CASSEROLE

8 oz broccoli, cut into florets and lightly steamed
7 slices lite bread, torn into bite size pieces
3/4 cup lite cheddar cheese, grated
2 cups skim milk
2 cups egg whites or egg replacer (i.e Egg Beaters)
1/2 tsp dry mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Prepare a large casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Line bottom of dish with bread pieces. Sprinkle cheese and steamed broccoli evenly over bread.
In a large bowl, beat together skim milk, egg whites, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour in egg mixture and press down lightly to help bread absorb liquid. Cover and refrigerate several hours or over night.
Bake 325F until egg mixture is set - about 45/50 minutes.
Old 08-10-2001, 09:41 AM   #3  

TobeyToe,

Thank you for your recipe. It is not quite what I was looking for. The original recipe had raisin bread and it had to sit overnight and be baked in the morning. I'll give yours a try but hope to run into the other recipe.

I have so many darn cookbooks and I've just started a new system when I use a recipe out of one. I started marking on the inside cover the name of recipe, page number and rather it was good or not and if I made any changes. Beats going through every darn cookbook looking for something. My kids will also appreciate this when I pass them on. Unfortunately, I didn't do that with the "Easter Breakfast Casserole." Oh well, live and learn.

Nanj
Old 08-10-2001, 10:25 AM   #4  
Jo
Catatonic

Default Breakfast Casserole

Not sure if this is the one you're looking for, but it sounds similar.

Breakfast Casserole

Ingredients
6 to 8 eggs
2 cups milk
6 slices of raisin bread, torn in chunks
8 ounces grated cheddar cheese
1 pound link sausage, cut up and cooked (or ham or bacon)
Salt and pepper
Place bread in a 9 x 13-inch pan. Sprinkle the cheese and sausage on top. Beat eggs and milk well. Pour the eggs and milk over top. Let set overnight in refrigerator. Bake at 350 degrees until bubbly and brown, about 1 hour

Hope this helps
Old 08-12-2001, 04:32 PM   #5  

Default Jo, I think you've got it!

Thank you Jo!

I compared your recipe to what my mom and I can remember and we think yours is it! Should have posted here soon and quite tearing up my house to find the recipe!

You didn't by any chance find this recipe in a "Tase of Home" did you? Mom swears that where we saw it.

Thank you again.
Closed Thread