Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 10:15 AM   #1  

Default How to survive when your children have school vacation

Good morning everyone--
This week will be tougher for me than anticipated. My grandmother, who is in Chicago, is close to dying and we will need to fly out there any day now. Given those circumstances, I cancelled the mini-vacation that was planned (driving the kids down to NYC so we could visit my brother for a few days). This means, in addition to the stress of the situation w/my grandmother, that my kids are going to be home for all of school vacation (ominous bell tolls in the background).

I have a sitter lined up for one full day, which is great. OTOH, I am spending that day at a job fair, which I hope will be productive but certainly doesn't count as fun or relaxing.

I need some tips and strategies, gals! Specifically, I need to keep up the exercise (at least 4 workouts so I can maintain the current weight) and ways to keep them getting along reasonably well.

Have a peaceful and healthy week--
Old 04-16-2006, 05:02 PM   #2  

Elana-I am sorry to hear your grandmother is not doing well. I know this is really hard. My prayers are with your family.

Is it possible to include the kids in your exercise? My DD loves pilates and will do my dvd's with me. Maybe you can get them involved, spend lots of time outside running, playing soccer and such? As far as eating goes let them help you cook and such.

Well DH is taking me for a motorcycle ride, so I have to run. I will see what else I can think of
Old 04-16-2006, 06:55 PM   #3  

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. I think that taking a daily walk will help destress and give you a good workout. God Bless!
Old 04-17-2006, 08:40 AM   #4  

How's the school break going? I think a solitary walk is a great idea, or even with the kids it can be a great way to destress. I feel better when I am outside, just looking at the same four walls all day drives me nuts
Old 04-17-2006, 04:12 PM   #5  

Default Mixed bag so far

The good news: I did an awesome strength workout at the Y this morning

The not-so-good news: I bought one of my trigger foods (Middle Eastern grape leaves) at the grocery store and basically inhaled the entire can when I got home. True, they are only one point each, but if you eat the whole can, those points certainly add up.

Looking back on the day, I think I didn't eat a big enough breakfast (just a slice of cinnamon toast, no protein or fruit) and I don't even remember if I had a filling lunch. I think the "late afternoon and I am extremely hungry" mode did me in.

My son is cooking tonight--we got a new kind of whole wheat pasta with milled flax seed added. Also got fresh grated parmesan and a crusty loaf of whole wheat bread to make garlic bread. I got some fresh cauliflower too, to steam as a side vegetable. The main supermarket I go to just did a huge renovation, and it's extremely nice now. They really expanded how many organic/natural foods they carry, including a lot of organic cheese, good frozen stuff (even edamame!) and more natural cereals. I'm really glad!

How is school vacation treating everyone?
Closed Thread