Old 04-12-2006, 01:34 AM   #1  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

Default OT - TomKat Update

in honour of abakerchick's avatar here is the latest from the news here on Tom and Katie (yes, it is newsworthy apparently )

KATIE Holmes has been banned from speaking to her baby for a week after it is born, it has been reported in Closer magazine. The pregnant actress has agreed not to talk to her new arrival, believed to be a girl, for at least seven days after she has entered the world, in accordance with fiance Tom Cruise's Scientology beliefs. Katie, who is due to give birth any day, has already promised Tom she will deliver the child in complete silence, and she will also have very little contact afterwards.

OMG - it just gets weirder and weirder
Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:03 AM   #2  
Moderator.:.20-Somethings

That is ridiculous.
I hope she isn't that stupid.
I hope this is all media hype.
trnsfrmnreplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 173.8/118.8/110

I wouldn't normally comment on other people's religions, but scientology just seems utterly ridiculous, i can't see how people would be so stupid as to believe those things, i mean COME ON! To not make a sound in birth, and not talk to your child!?? Get real!! I hope that girl wakes up!
Charlotte84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:50 AM   #4  

Who could possibly love Tom Cruise THAT MUCH, to sacrifice having support after giving birth and talking to your own child?
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:04 AM   #5  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

They both need a good IMHO!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:51 AM   #6  

I wonder if that's true. I've heard all this crazy stuff too. But then People magazine I think (can't remember) had Kelly Preston who is John Travolta's wife talking about Scientology (she's a scientologist too) and she said that what we're hearing isn't all necessarily true. She said it IS possible to have an epidural and the mother can yell (she said because it really hurts *hehe*) but it's WHAT she says that's important...no profanity, etc. Also they don't want a lot of OUTSIDE voices like the doctor or anyone else in the room. That's according to her. I think the media may be blowing it all out of proportion (which is typical). Apparently Scientologists believe EVERYTHING a person hears from the time they are born on leaves an imprint on them or something so a lot of confused voices and people yelling to "push" would leave a bad imprint on the baby. I'm not saying I believe it...just what she says.

AmberM
AmberM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:56 AM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

*sigh* what do you expect from a religion that was recently concocted by a failed Science Fiction writer...
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:14 AM   #8  
Movin' and Losin'

This is some freaky stuff! Not talking to your newborn for a week?!? Isn't that crucial mother-child bonding time?

I'm a sucker for celebrity gossip, so I keep reading all about Scientology, and it is some strange stuff. But, like Jill said, what should we expect?

I do have the honor of living in a city with a huge Scientology church. Tom Cruise and John Travolta visit occassionally. Everyone jokes (?) about not walking too close to the church or they will suck you in and won't let you out! Scary!
jdoggmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:18 AM   #9  

I am at a lose for words on this. The part of me that studied anthropology in college tells me that no one's culture is any better or worse then anyone elses, but I just can't understand not speaking to your newborn.
KittieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:59 AM   #10  
What are you waiting for?

S/C/G: 232/258/223

Height: 5'4

I think that's terrible, It's a form of child abuse in my opinion, think about it! This little infant has been comforted the last 8-9 months or whatever by the sound of her mommy her voice and body noices when she comes out and it's silent that's going to be really scary and when that baby's screaming to hear her mom's voice to know she's there i cannot understand not wanting to at least whisper in the baby's ear "mommys here" to at least soothe her and let her know your there, that's just freakin crazy and it is so incredibly stupid
rysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:45 PM   #11  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Does she at least get to hold he baby????

IMO its soooo stupid!!! you can totally tell its was created by a man...I mean NO NOISE during birth COME ON! Hello maybe Tom should try pushing a water melon out of his you-know-what without a sound...maybe then he would think differently!!!!
fitgal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 01:15 PM   #12  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Good lord. Well, I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves her and takes the baby soon after she gives birth and that's why he doesn't want her talking to the baby, so he can be the one the baby bonds with right away.

The whole thing is creepy and I hope in the back of my mind that it'll end up being a huge Punk'd episode, hahaha.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 01:55 PM   #13  
Melting Butter

Does anybody remember when people actually thought Tom Cruise was hot? It seems like he changed over night!
healthyme05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 01:57 PM   #14  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyme05
Does anybody remember when people actually thought Tom Cruise was hot? It seems like he changed over night!
ha, makes me think of those bumper stickers that say, "I go form zero to b**** in 2.6 seconds"...he went from stud to psycho dud just as quickly
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:10 PM   #15  
Jessie's Mom

I hope she smartens up and leaves the weirdo. Not talking to your child takes away from the bonding experience. The baby needs to hear your voice. That is a comfort zone for them. I could never imagine not talking to my baby during the first week, or ever for that matter.

And as far as being silent during labor. Please! Labor, even when you have the drugs, is painful. Think about it- you have this 5+ pound baby coming out of you! My daughter was 8lbs 6 1/2 ozs. No way would I have been silent. Just grunting and such, it is only natural.

She is going to miss the whole childbirth miracle if she goes through with these crazy "rules".
Treadgirl is offline   Reply With Quote