Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 09:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/135/152

Height: 5'4"

Default Exercise and How Critical it is to Success

The article below is an excerpt from one published by the National Weight Control Registry.

Exercise crucial to weight loss, experts say
February 3, 2001

Diet bars, fake sugars and portion-control apparatus overflowed from the Colorado Convention Center in Denver one day last October, as calls to end an overweight epidemic in America reverberated through the halls.

Experts from across the country discussed trendy diets, weight-loss aids and skyrocketing obesity rates at the American Dietetic Association Food and Nutrition Conference. But it was a leading local nutrition authority who said he had an answer:

Exercise.

No, it’s not groundbreaking, said James Hill, director of the Center for Human Nutrition at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center. Nor is it an answer for everyone, he said. Weight problems are complex, continually stumping experts as they watch an estimated 55 percent of Americans cross the overweight line. But after six years of monitoring his National Weight Loss Registry, Hill said it’s clear that a dedication to exercise - along with the mandatory calorie reduction - could slim down a ballooning America.

Obesity rates in American adults jumped 40 percent from 1980 to 1990, according to an American College of Nutrition report. Childhood obesity also is on the rise.

Alarmed by the statistics and the corresponding increase in related disease rates, most notably Type 2 diabetes, the nearly 5,000 dietitians and nutrition experts who gathered in Denver for the conference made the issue a primary focus.

The national registry includes information on people who have maintained weight losses of 30 pounds or more for at least a year. Hill acknowledges that results are biased, as weight loss is self-reported and participants are volunteers solicited mainly through the media.

"These people may be metabolically different from people who fail to lose weight," he said. But more than 90 percent of the more than 3,000 surveyed had tried to lose before and failed, often repeatedly, he said. Many reported being overweight as children.

Among all those weight-loss winners, only 10 percent did it through diet alone, Hill said. And those diets ran the gamut. "Some counted calories. Some counted fat grams. Some used liquid diets. We were struck by the lack of similarity," he said.

What was common was exercise - and a lot of it - he said. "Most far exceeded the physical activity recommended by the surgeon general. Most did about an hour of physical activity every day," he said.

The surgeon general recommends at least 30 minutes of exercise five days a week for health benefits.

"I believe, based on our research and some other research that has come out, that our recommendations for physical activity to maintain weight loss are too low," Hill said.

Daily walking was the activity of choice, but 72 percent interspersed other forms of exercise. Many people, particularly women, are using weight lifting to aid in weight loss, Hill said.

To maintain weight loss, most people avoided fast food and weighed themselves often, Hill said. "We do see, over and over, the importance of self-monitoring," he said.

Sometimes people need something more than the "golden" advice of fewer calories and more exercise, said Dr. Louis Aronne, medical director of a weight-control program at Weill Medical College of Cornell University. Sometimes, these, combined with group discussions and support groups provide the added impetus to success.

February 3, 2001
Old 08-05-2001, 02:15 PM   #2  

Thank you leader.

We were just chatting about the critical impo of exercise plus healthy portion controlled eating on a Lifetime / Maintainence thread. Not only for just normal health, but especially in regards to diabetes...I've noticed quite a few WW have this themselves or in their families.

For me, I had let myself go big time after maintaining for 3 yrs and kept gradually adding to it for 4 yrs more (I ultimately had ballooned 35 lbs to 165). Feeling really unhealthy and sluggish, I reluctantly joined a nearby graduated marathon training group (as a walker). But, after 2 months of working myself up to 8 miles on our group training day, I had an awakening and realized I only had lost 8 and gained 3 back of my weight. I hated the way I stuffed my face especially after exercise, but "I couldn't help myself". I finally realized how desperately unhappy I was and joined WW.

It's through this program I've been able to re-train myself (sometimes over and over). And how impo both exercise and conscious controlled eating are to me. In the past year I "slipped" and regained about 10 lbs from goal. I had decided to lower my exercise regimen (by then I had completed 5 Marathons as a racewalker) and yet was still eating more points than I was burning. I went back to WW basics and am now .4 away from goal. I have created a more sane and manageable exercise regime (3-4x/wk) with just two of the days being somewhat hi-intensity and have focused on keeping my eating within the lower range of my points. It works. In my opinion you don't have to exercise every day to reap the benefits of healthy living. And doing stuff you like (I enjoy being around people) keeps one coming back.

Once again thanks for posting this.
Closed Thread