Old 03-29-2006, 06:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/188/150

Height: 5'7

Question I need a little encouragement/suggestions on my plan...

Okay, so I've been on my "diet" (read: lifestyle change) for 23 days. The first 10 pounds flew right off my body. Which is great, obviously. I started at 190, now I am at 180. My goal is 140- I have been eating between 1100-1800 calories per day, with a few "off" days that I fell off the wagon and ended up eating up to 2000.

This morning when I woke up, and got dressed, I noticed that my pants were somewhat looser- yeah! But, I weighed myself at work, and I've been at 180 for about 2 weeks now with no budge on the scale- it's starting to scare me! I am worried that I'm doing all of this for nothing, and that eventually I won't be able to lose any more weight. My question- how do you keep yourself going when the scale doesn't move?

I just started excercising yesterday, I bought one of those "walk away the pounds videos" (loved it)- it was 30 minutes, and I know that excercising is a key- Here's my updated plan- tell me if you guys think this will help me continue to drop weight:

1. Eat only between 1200 and 1500 calories per day, no more than 1500
2. Eat less carbs, more veggies, more water
3. Excercise at least 4 times per week
4. Have more balanced meals during the day- I tend to eat little in the mornings/afternoons, and pig out in the evenings. I usually end my night with some kind of sweet dessert, like a fudge bar with strawberries and lite cool whip- I need to cut this habit out. I think it's hindering my weight loss.

Okay, at this point, if you're still reading- thank you! I know I wrote alot- but I know that you guys have been in my shoes, and I value your advice.
judes26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Well, you can actually get smaller but not lose on the scale-that is perfectly normal. After a weight loss of a few pounds-things can definitely "move around" as your body adjusts. Also, if you are exercising, you can be getting firmer and less flabby, and that will make a difference in how your clothing fits as well-not all good results come from a number on the scale.
It is not uncommon to lose a few pounds, and then your body takes a couple weeks to adjust before it loses more scale weight. Perfectly normal. Two weeks is not long enough for me to consider that a "plateau". Keep it up, and here in the next few weeks you should start to see the scale move down a little more.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Yup, what Aphil said. She's pretty smart
I just wanted to add that I eat like you do. I have added a shake for breakfast but it's never very early and I do eat a huge portion of my calories later in the day. I try to space my protein so that I'm never ravenous. If I'm eating in the evening it's munchie eating not hunger. It's what works for me.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:41 AM   #4  
Determined

I think you're doing great so far. The calorie cycling is definitely a good idea, and adding exercise will help more than you can imagine. So hard to blow a workout session with fritos later. WATP is a great place to start. Overall, in less than a month you have a ten pound loss, so congratulations! ! I would say it's not a bad idea to cut the dessert most nights, but I would keep it a few nights as a treat. If you're using the sugar free fudgsicles (which are really yummy) with light cool whip you're getting less than 100 calories and indulging your sweet tooth, which I think is important for a sustainable plan. Afterall, it's a lifestyle change so the things you change need to be maintainable for life. I've lost weight before, but this time I started with major deprivation and fell off the wagon. Slow and steady with manageable changes is the way to go. Good luck and I think all the changes you've made sound great!
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:08 PM   #5  

Thanks so much y'all Happydaisy- I love your cute kitties- I have (ahem) several of them at my house....... or is it their house??

Old 03-29-2006, 10:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/141/125

Yeah, don't cut out your sweets! For me that just leads to a nice little binge on whatever I wanted but didn't let myself have. One idea is to try different kinds of exercise, which it does sound like you're doing. Keep your body guess between exercise and how many calories you will be eating each day. I cycle between higher and lower calories to keep my metabolism up. Make sure you are working out at at least 60% of your maximum heart rate. This is a biggie. You will see results...just keep cruising!
KriWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:03 AM   #7  

thank you for the encouragement, sometimes I let myself get upset when the I go 2-3 weeks with no loss. I think I am eating too many empty calories- cereal, desserts, carbs, sweets- I think I need to eat more protein and veggies.... I know I can't give up dessert all togther- i love it too much and I know it will lead to a binge- you guys are right about that!!! I would love to see more of y'alls daily menus to see how I should be eating
Old 03-30-2006, 07:12 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

judes26-

You don't have to "give up" sweets and empty calories, but it should be limited to a very small percentage of the diet. I like to use the 10% rule. Eat very healthy 90% of the time. This means, that if you eat 1500 calories a day, then 10% of that is 150 calories. Keep any sweets 150 calories or under that day. If you eat 1300 calories, then the level is 130 calories.

There ARE ways to eat sweets and do that...a measured out scoop of light ice cream at around 100-140 calories may seem TEENY...but add 1 cup of sliced strawberries to that for 45 calories (because that counts as a fruit serving) or add a sliced banana to that for about 110 calories. It makes it seem like you are eating more "sweet" but you aren't.

You should definitely be getting the bulk of your calories from lean meat/protein, veggies, fruit, and skim dairy-and some whole grains as well. If you have trouble getting in fruits and veggies-plan for a veggie serving at both lunch and dinner, and a fruit serving at breakfast and snacktime. This will help you to plan healthier meals.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:13 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/141/125

Hey, if you want to check out my daily menus, I keep my fitday really up to date and there is a link on the side. I'm by no means a great example but can show you how I incorporate my favourite foods into my diet and also some good ideas for low cal. meals. Feel free to have a look.
KriWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:40 AM   #10  

Aphil, what a good idea- I need to take some veggies to work with me to eat during the day. I think that will help fill me up.

Kristy- that's great! Thank you! I will check it out!!