UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 03-27-2006, 07:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Paul McKenna (again!)

I'm just wondering if anyone is still using his system, or combining a few of the techniques and having some success?

If anyone is can you let me know what you're doing and if you are combining it with a food plan. I've tried the search thingy but not getting anywhere.
I'm sure someone was doing it along with the GI way of eating.

Just for a bit of info, I have found that when I eat slowly and really enjoy my food like he says, I do tend to eat less overall.

So any takers? Or did you try it and it did not work at all? I've GOT to get some of this weight off and I'm going mad with frustration because nothing seems to be working for me at the moment.
Artemis__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:26 AM   #2  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I tried a few bits of it - like you say, the eating slower thing helped a bit but eating slow to lose weight is something that is recommended by all dieticians anyway.

The more I thought about it, the more I thought it was generally going to be a disaster. I used to eat anything I wanted whenever I wanted - which is exactly how I got to be this weight in the first place. If I were to go back to doing that then I'd just get bigger and bigger - as for that eating only until you're full thing - well - I do not have the kind of self control needed to leave food on my plate!

As I see it the ONLY way for me to lose weight is to never, ever let myself get to feel hungry again because I know I only stuff my face with bad choices when I'm starving hungry. I've found that as long as I'm not running on empty I can act like a rational person and make reasonably controlled decisions.

The problem comes with combining never feeling hungry with eating less calories - which is where the low GI carbs come in. I've also started to exercise more so that I can eat more and the final thing I do is plan each day's food the day before and just tick it off as I eat it - that way I can't be left without any calories for my evening snack.

BTW, DH decided to by me the McKenna diet book as a pressie but he got me the wrong book - he got me the Change Your Life In 7 Days one instead. I think he's trying to tell me something....
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

Great points there Sarah Ann, especially about not allowing yourself to get to hungry. You must be the same as me there,that you just go mad when you do start to eat if you are too hungry.

So, di dyou Change Your Life In 7 days ??
Artemis__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 09:28 AM   #4  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I haven't even looked at the book - I'm one of the lucky ones, I'm happy with my life. (Mostly!)

Oh yes, I used to get those low sugar slumps, especially in the afternoon if I'd skipped lunch or just had something sugary. They used to be awful, I'd feel really yuck (get the shakes, felt like I was going to pass out) and then I'd binge on anything sweet. The last time I had a sugar slump I ate a packet of choc coated mini swiss rolls, half a tub of ice cream AND drank a bottle of Lucozade. In fact I always used to keep Lucozade in the house because I seriously thought I had something wrong with me like diabetes or something. Nowadays I don't eat anything sugary, except for the natural sugars in fruit, and I don't get the slumps any more. I don't ever want to feel like that again - I hated that 'out of control' feeling, I never enjoyed what I was eating I just knew that I had to eat it.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:59 AM   #5  
This one got lazyitis

S/C/G: 236/229/168

I read the book and watched the programme and have been amking sure I stop eating when I'm full up. I noticed I eat a lot less so I'm pleased that I read it. Now I serve myself smaller portions and still leave a bit. I have been eating whatever I want and have lost ten pounds, but I have been exercising more as well so I don't know which it is that's working
O U 8 1 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:07 PM   #6  
Gym'll fix it!!

It does'nt matter does it CONGRATULATIONS!!
cat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:02 PM   #7  
This one got lazyitis

S/C/G: 236/229/168

O U 8 1 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:26 AM   #8  

I was trying it along with the GI and at first was doing quite well. Unfortunately been going through a really bad time with b/f since the end of Jan so I went through a few weeks of having a couple of drinks most nights. I still managed to eat reasonably well so stayed the same weight. Now being better and managed to lose another 4 lbs since then.

I've now pretty much gone off the PM thing as I am a pig and find a need to concentrate to much to do it
tranquility is offline   Reply With Quote