Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-24-2006, 01:32 PM   #1  

Lightbulb 4 legged support

I got so much feedback on my other posting about how our dogs help us with depression that I thought why not start a thread about this?
Dogs can be great exercise partners...how many of us have a pooch that makes us get up and take them for walks? They're unconditionally supportive and love us no matter what size we are.
I'm sure there are other animals that people have found to help them thru depression and weightloss and would love to hear about them.
I'm hoping to post pictures of mine soon. In a world where we have to worry about posting pictures of our children it's nice to share photos of our 4 legged babies.
Hope this thread is appreciated. I appreciate this community and everyone who's reached out to support me.
huffnpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:07 PM   #2  

my cat helps me... i talk to her and she cuddles me when i cry. she licks up my tears and gives me stinky kitty breath kisses. i also know that if nothing else, i have to get out of bed to feed her twice a day.
eadavenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:09 PM   #3  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

My divine Miss Blizzard, my Alaskan Husky is my soulmate. I never thought I could love anyone/anything so much. My day will be great if I geet Blizzie kisses in the morning. She de-stresses me and is just my best friend. BTW, I do love DH too.

This morning my Siberian and Alaskan jumped in bed with me and we snuggled for about 5 minutes. It was the best way to start the day. When I got home from work I told them we were on spring break and mommy won't be going anywhere for 11 days. I'm sure they're excited.

HuffPuff, thanks for starting the thread. The other one definitely was going to the dogs and I know that wasn't the intent of your thread. I sure hope you're doing better.

eadavenp, you just gotta love stinky pet's breath. I glad you have your kitty. Everyone needs an unconditional, non-judgmental best friend.

TTYL.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:11 PM   #4  
Hot Mama

Well, my kitty thinks he's the king of the world, but my doggie is wonderful. I've never been a pet lover. I always thought they were more trouble than they were worth, Until I got Sophie. From day one she glued herself to my hip. If I'm in the bathroom, she's outside the door. She'll go outside to go to the bathroom, but then she immediately comes back in to be with me. She follows me from room to room, and when I come home, even if I have only been gone 15 minutes, she goes nuts with excitement. It's so great to have her love me so much. How can I not return that love? She has become so important to me, and I can't imagine life without her. She is a 3 year old german shepherd. I will find some pictures to post.
Marciet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:02 PM   #5  

i love my pets too!!! they are definitely life savers. i have 2 golden retrievers and a cat who is definitely the queen of the household!!! i have a photoalbum online. i will find it and post a link!!!
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 08:05 PM   #6  

Nobody loves me like my 3 lb ten year old Yorkie!

L
liz321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:08 PM   #7  

here we are - my photo album

http://jasmineandsaffie.myphotoalbum...umName=album01

Last edited by sweet_pea; 03-25-2006 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:28 PM   #8  
Determined

Sweet pea - the green where you live is completely stunning (not to mention your adorable dogs & cat!!).
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:44 PM   #9  

thanks daisy! new zealand is a beautiful country. we are very lucky
Old 03-26-2006, 11:01 PM   #10  
Stu's Angel <3

S/C/G: 245 lbs / 220 lbs / 150 lbs

I've always wanted a dog, but I've never had one. Where we live (a townhouse apartment type thing), we're not allowed to have cats or dogs.

I've always wished I could have a dog to take for a walk, or play fetch with. I think I'd be in much better shape if I did...
Chemicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:11 AM   #11  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

My chocolate lab is a wonderful pet and a loves to take long walks with me. I know she is forgiving of me and I love her completly. She is house-trained and rarely leaves my side. I wish I had one of those treadmills that are designed for your pet to walk beside you, I know she would do it. Now she just lays beside mine and waits for me to get done. I also have a cat and he is more the type that just likes to be left alone.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:16 AM   #12  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

My dogs are my babies. I have no intentions of having real kids, dogs are better. I have a beagle and a humane society special (lab/australian shepherd/chow mix) They are both so special and bring happiness to my life each day. Between the 2 of them I can always have at least one raring to go with whatever I need be it a nap, a cuddle, or a walk. Much more reliable than my DH who I love too!
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:51 PM   #13  

Well disaster struck this weekend. Yesterday the new puppy bit my toddler. It wasn't a playful puppy nip, he aggressively bit him and broke the skin. Toddlers can be hard on puppies, we understand. Luckily my cousin who has no children is happy to take the puppy so we've found him a new home.

I've noticed that back when my old husky was still a younger guy, I was in better shape and didn't gain weight quite so easily. We used to go for long romps outside. The poor guy has a bad leg though so we have to stick to shorter walks these days. But even short walks are good. My husband's hunting dog is too hard for me to handle so I can't take him out for walks either.

I might look into adopting a dog that's not a puppy but would be good with children and a good exercise partner. Maybe an adult husky? Regardless I'm making a resolution to get out there and walk more.
huffnpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:58 PM   #14  

awww huff n puff that's bad news about your puppy. esp if you don't think it was a playful nip!!! but at least you have found a home within the family for your pup
Old 03-27-2006, 08:28 PM   #15  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

I'm sorry huffnpuff. I had to give away a dog because of a neighbor's taunting that made my dog a liability. I cried for days. At least your puppy is a puppy and will adjust nicely to the new home. That's got to be a relief. Good luck in finding an adult doggie. I think there are wonderful dogs ooking for a perfect home and would be a good addition. And that you're willing to take long walks is great.

I pushed my Alaskan too far today on the long walk. We usually go 2 miles around the smaller block. Keep in mind the roads are mountain hills so there's effort involved. But I decided to do the big 3 mile block. At about 2.5 miles, Blizzie started to get slow and you could see it pushed her too far. She's only 5 years old, but has severe hip dysplasia and arthritis. So I slowed down, let her set the pace and then gave her a pain pill specifically prescribed for when she over does it. I feel bad though. I keep kissing her, but that doesn't seem to help.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote