Old 03-21-2006, 08:28 AM   #1  
Baby Steps

Default Emotional Stress Vs. Weight Loss

I don't remember in my book if it talks about this. Does emotional stress prevent weight loss? I realized I couldn't stay OP because of stress (silly, but discovered it so now can fix it from now on!). But even while I was OP during this all (the situation I've been dealing with) I didn't lose weight.

Any ideas??

(running the person over w/a vehicle isn't an option...too many witnesses!! )
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:02 AM   #2  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

I dont remember either Brenda. But I know for me, the stress makes me not pay enough attention to my eating. Stress, has kept me from loosing weight, but it was extreme stress. Everyone is different, so I dont doubt for one minute that your stress is hindering your efforts.

I hope it all settles soon, and things get back to normal for you.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:19 AM   #3  

i don't have a technical answer, but gut feeling would be to say yes stress can stall your weight loss. I think stress can just about do ANYTHING to your body.

Don't be stressed Brenda.....run'em over, nobody'll ever know.
M&Gmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:25 AM   #4  
Going to ONEderland

Stress (from what I have heard), creates a "stress hormone" called Cortisol. Cortisol seems to prevent weight loss particularly around the tummy region.

Stress creates that fight or flight mechanism, hormone, adrenalin, too. Adrenalin when not used to actually flee or fight, works in bad ways against your body. It creates energy for quick action, but if there is no quick action, it stresses your body. I guess one way to counteract its effects is to use that adrenalin, and move, exercise. use it for the purpose it was intended for.

I know for a fact that hormones will prevent weight loss or assist in them. I remember a young woman I knew who had to have something done to her to prevent her body from producing estrogen. She had a very rapidly growing form of breast cancer (brought on by starting to use birth control pills and by her particular genetics), and she began gaining weight. She told me it was because estrogen is a weight regulator in women. And of course we all know what happens near that TOM, we tend to retain water, have more cravings etc. Possibly because we are producing progesterone then.

Anyway, try and modify your stress levels as much as possible by exercise and relaxation techniques. I think I get the same way. If I start stressing about anything, it tends to mess up my ability to diet successfully.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:31 AM   #5  

Great info Sherry...much more technical than mine and VERY interesting.
M&Gmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:05 PM   #6  
Susan hockeyfan7

Brenda, it's not actually running over the person -- it's the mental image of them spread eagled in the parking lot with tire tracks running up the back of their head! That's how I got through my divorce with my first husband.

Stress can cause all kinds of major issues in your body. The doctor even believes that my gene for Celiac disease turned itself on during a very stressful time I had back in 2002.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:14 PM   #7  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

here's a little article I found which basically says the same thing that Sherry said
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art19658.asp
you are soooooo close, too, I've heard tons of people say how the last 10-15 pounds is the hardest, maybe that's it too???

Hopefully the stress will lessen and you will find out very soon

Lacey
bnbsmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote