Old 03-15-2006, 11:06 PM   #1  
playin' for keeps

Default I'm gonna eat a brownie

See, here's the thing...

It's been over a year (13 months, in fact) since I've had any sweets at all. No cookies, no candy, no desserts, no nuthin'. It wasn't something I planned, I started out giving it up for lent, and it worked so well for me that I kept going. I've always had a problem with sugar, and it had gotten to the point where I was eating it instead of actual food. I felt lousy all the time, and I just got bigger and bigger. The junk food was replaced with healthier food and lots of exercise, and voila - almost 50 pounds disappeared .

The thing is, I don't want to spend my whole life never having a treat. I just want to learn how to eat them like a normal person - not obsessively, and not instead of food. So I made a Big 5 Year Plan. Hear it is: Year 1: no treats. (check!). Year 2: one treat every 3 months. Year 3: 1 treat every month. Year 4: as much as 1 treat every week Year 5: no restrictions.

This might seem a little extreme, but killing 33 years of bad habits is a big deal, and well...so far, so good.

So here we are, 3 months into year 2 and I'm looking at having some sugar for the first time (a brownie at my birthday party). I'm feeling sort of anxious about the whole thing, like I'm about to undo all my hard work. I know it's nuts , and that I can go back to the no-sugar thing if I have to.

The question is (took a while to get here, eh? ): Has anyone else given up sugar and then been able to work it back into a healthy lifestyle?

Am I completely insane? Looking forward to hearing what y'all think!

cheers!
paula
cagirlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:17 PM   #2  

wow, that's will power!! Wish I had that!! Today at the book store I resisted to buy the last copy of a clearance book entitled "every brownie recipe you need to know" ohhhhh and I have been craving a white chocolate brownie with ice cream ALL DAY. I won!! I had to resist cause tomorrow is SO's bday, and I am making cheesecake and I plan on having a slice with my flex points! (ww)

Good luck to you!! Do what you feel is right for yourself, no matter if someone thinks you are crazy. If you don't end up bingeing... like I would, then you have the will power to conquer anything!
astigmatistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:32 AM   #3  

I've been in sugar moderation for over a year now, even though I didn't "offically" start my diet until August of '05. It was something I had to accomplish first before I could even begin to think about making real changes because I was a horrible sugar addict and ate homemade brownies several times a week. Plus resturant desserts, plus candy on a whim, plus other homemade baked goods as I'm a native Southern gal and well, if you can't bake a killer cake by 12, you aren't all that accomplished!

My first rule is to use it as a treat only. The second, only have it available to you in small quantities so there are no seconds or thirds calling your name and tempting you because they are simply not there. A small quantity is one or two servings, not a whole brownie batch from the box or bakery. So instead, I order a slice from the bakery counter when I really want one that bad. Otherwise, I get the small-sized gourmet organic chocolate bars that are at least 65% cocoa. They are healthier (cocoa IS healthy!) and contain less sugar and beats the popular store brands (Hersheys, etc) to death in quality. To me, anyway. Another thing is I don't snarf it down and say, "HEY who ate my chocolate? Dammit I know there was more left of that thing... or maybe.. ummm... I think I ate it all. [searches entire room for runaway chocolate before admitting I ate it all]" I eat it sloooowly and savor the taste. Chocolate is supposed to melt your mouth, not be chewed! I notice the sweetness, the natural bitterness of the cocoa the firm and creamy texture and how it just slowly melts in my mouth, over my taste buds and down my throat as I suck on the piece and how the strong flavor and scent just takes over my senses and indulges me. The feeling of melting chocolate in my mouth is practically a religious experience for me!

The fact that I get that kind of enjoyment and indulgence from one serving from a chocolate bar satisfies my craving. Combine that with the fact that since the organic kind is not often made with refined, processed sugar I don't fall into the sugar addiction again unless I hurl myself off the wagon and start snarfing mediocre candy and chocolate again. Then I have to detox all over again. It's really not worth it in the long run, so I just decided I'm not going to bother. Gourmet or nothing!

So you go eat that piece of gourmet deluxe brownie if you really want it and savour every little bit of it. I think it's okay to treat ourselves using food very occasionally. Some foods should be kept as treats only (which ones depend on the person).
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:24 AM   #4  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Wow, you've done really well, Paula.

I don't have much of a tooth for sweet stuff, so I can't offer any insight. I did, however, go for months without eating fried chicken (my weakness). When I eventually had some, it didn't taste nearly as good as I remembered, so I haven't bothered with it since.

I can understand your feeling anxious about reintroducing sugar since it's been a problem food for you. If you really want it, I don't think there's any harm in allowing yourself a reasonable portion to test the water. OTOH, I wouldn't simply eat it for the sake of it.

I hope it works out for you.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:12 AM   #5  
playin' for keeps

Thanks, girls!

astigmatistic - good for you for passing up that cookbook, and happy cheesecake to you!

madscientist - Thanks for letting me know that it's possible! Your rules sound like they're right up my alley. I have a friend who makes amazing brownies. She's baking them for my birthday. I'll have one, and she's promised to take care of the rest. I'll have to give dark chocolate a try at some point. I never liked it before, but at this point, milk chocolate might be too sweet. We'll see.

Ali - Thanks for the encouragement! I'm curious to see if I have the same sort of "eh, whatever" experience with chocolate that you had with fried chicken. Here's hopin'!

I'll let you all know how it turns out. Hopefully, I won't report that the first bite passed my lips and I blew up like one of those Thanksgiving Day parade balloons.

Cheers!
paula
cagirlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote