Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-07-2006, 08:32 PM   #1  
Finding Me

Question Question about the Gym

Ok first I didn't know wether to post this here...or in the 300+ thread but anyway, currently I am doing the Walk away the pounds 6 week plan ...but just feel like I want to add more exercise...and really wanted to think about joining a gym. Now...with the question...everytime I have walked by a gym almost all the people i see there are really thin. Again I am 300+ so i wanted to know what kind of experiance you ladies have had with gyms and If you have any recomendations...thanks so much for any advice!

Christina
Lost_here84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:40 PM   #2  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

The experience that I had, was that no one seems to care. You are all there for the same reason. Don't worry about what someone may think, if you want to join, by all means, Join! Good luck!
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

I go to a military gym and you'll see plenty of buff peeps in there. What I have heard though is women seem to like curves and feel comfortable there.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:20 PM   #4  

I use the local rec center. I was 284 pounds when I started. No-one cared in the slightest. Anyone who's spending time judging others clearly is not working out hard enough!!! I'd say go to the gym and enjoy your workouts, someday you'll be an inspiration to others. I'm now 174, almost goal for me, and my photo is on the success stories wall at that same gym!
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 286/160/145

Is there a Curves near you? When I first started losing weight, I weighed 286 pounds. I was really hesitant about joining a "real" gym, so I started at Curves. It was great. The owner and staff were friendly and encouraging. The other women there were of all ages and sizes. Going definitely helped me lose weight faster. And the constant reassurance from the other women there was great. I cancelled my membership about 8 months ago because it just wasn't giving me enough of a workout anymore. But I do miss the atmosphere.
bluedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:46 AM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

Believe me, no one will look down on you. Most people at the gym are there for themselves, and don't pay a lot of attention to who else is there (unless you happen to hit the HS folks afternoons when school is out ) Really, I've completely not noticed friends and co-workers because I'm focused on my own workout, not socializing. So far I've managed to recognize my DH when I see him there! I did go to Curves for awhile, but like Erin said, it wasn't giving me enough of a workout after a bit. It's a supportive place to begin though. Just check out the cost and how long you're signing up for vs. what a gym - with many more options for working out - would be. There are other non-cost considerations too. Which is easier in terms of getting there, times they're open (Curves often closes part of the day, at least here), what the amenities are (sauna, hot tub, etc.)
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:59 AM   #7  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Christina - I go to the gym in my office building, which is shared by many companies. I am definitely the largest one there, but I am by no means the only fat girl. I go in, put my headphones on, and tune everyone else out. I feel very comfortable there. I would do some research and see what is available in your area. Sure things like Bally's are probably going to be more fat girl unfriendly, but you may be able to find a neighborhood gym or a Y that is very low key.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:06 AM   #8  

I've used three gyms in the past year. Gym number one was at work. I was easily the fattest, by a long shot (262lbs) No one cared, and as I started losing weight, other large people joined too.

Gym number two was in my local area. I wasn't quite the fattest, there were a few of us there. And it was great, the gym staff were incredibly supportive, took joy in every little goal I achieved, and I got some great support there. But the gym was kinda small and I felt I had outgrown it.

So now I am in a big private gym, and its ACE!!! It's full of people of all sizes and shapes. It's really inclusive, and it's got loads of stuff to do so I never get bored.

When you go and check them out, remember it's your money, your the consumer, they're not doing you a favour. If you don't feel they are going to take you seriously and help you achieve your goals, tell them.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:19 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've belonged to a gym from my highest weight to my current weight, my current membership at Ballys is in its 5th year. (I admit to lapses in actually going) I actually lost most of my weight by going to the gym. I'll agree with what other people have said, you are all there for the same reason so they won't look at you funny. Actually, if you become a dedicated member, you might get guys coming up to you (young and old) and trying to inspire you. I've had more experiences than I can count like that where someone came up to me and said "hey i've seen you around, you are doing good". I find it amusing actually and the first time it happened, I was kind of shocked since my purpose was to fade in the background.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:28 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

a gym is a good thing to be in. i love going to the gym. i just started a new one that is not for woman only. i was alittle nervouse about starting at a very popular gym, but i don't care. i am there for me. but i saw a larger woman on the treadmill the first night i went to sign up, and my thought was....cool. good for her. i'm glad to know that i am not the only out of shape here. but i mean, i know when i see women that are large at the gym, the only thing i really think is, i'm so glad to see her here. that 's great!! and when i see someone that looks good, i think, i'm going to look good like that too.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:35 PM   #11  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Joining a gym was the best thing I ever did, I was 260lb at the time, and definitely the fattest there. Now I'm one of the fittest (if not the thinnest )

You don't know what other people are thinking, more than likely it's about their own workout, or possibly they're silently cheering you on for getting up off your backside and actually doing something. I know I'm always a bit disappointed when new fat chicks join the gym and tail off after a couple of weeks, because I truly believe that if they stuck at it they'd be really glad they did.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:35 PM   #12  
dgpebbles

I have always wanted to go to a gym..I had the same feeling you did...that I'm going to be the only fat one there and that everyone will be looking at me and making fun of me...well yesterday I went and joined one finally and I loved it....I was nervous at first but after being there about 15 mins I realized I was not the only fat one there and that no one was really paying any attention to anyone else....I can't wait to go back...we are going again today...so I hope you give it a try...

P.S. I joined at 24 hour fitness...when I bought my biggest loser dvd it came with a free 30 days trial membership and that is what I used but I am going to join when my 30 days is up..
dgpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:11 PM   #13  
Finding Me

Thanks sooo much ladies for all the replies I definatly am going to check out some local gyms around here to see what they offer. I do think curves is doing a great job, however I tried curves out for awhile before and really didn't feel it gave me enough of a workout...I wanna really sweat for my money. But as usual thanks for the support and all the advice and I know this is something I just gotta get over get off my butt and do!

-Christina
Lost_here84 is offline   Reply With Quote