Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-27-2006, 03:10 AM   #1  

Default do you lose weight with Wellbutrin?

I need help.

I was on Effexor for depression but I stopped; it made me gain weight...and i craved carbs like never before.

I endured withdrawal, even with slow weaning. Brain zaps, vertigo, nausea - weeks and weeks of it. Finally it's over.

I tried to convince myself that I dont need the pills, but I do. I really do. I'm angry and sad all the time. Anxious, nervous, and I hurt myself purposely every night with food.

I was depressed because of my never-ending eating disorders, so I can't risk gaining! For someone who attempted suicide twice because of weight, GAINAGE would be dangerous, i'd assume.

I'm desperate for pills though because if I go on like this, i feel I might just go back to old ways and lose my five remaining friends...

So please, does anyone have advice?

I'm considering Wellbutrin...
Peanut_butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:58 AM   #2  

I'm on wellbutrin. And yeah, it can help with losing weight. One of the side effects is being more energetic, so it makes it easier to work out. It also kills my appetite-- I basically have to remind myself to eat. I don't know if that's just me, or a common side effect though.

The only thing to note is that it can make you really jittery.

But usual disclaimer: Talk to your doc about it.
Cailleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

I have been taking Wellbutrin for about a year or so. When I first started to take it, I lost quite a bit of weight due to lack of appetite. However, a few months later my body became more used to it, and I didn't have as much of an appetite suppressing affect.

I do think part of my problem was that I counted on it to do more of the work for me, and didn't think I'd still have to make good food choices and exersize...

But that's jus' me.
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:24 PM   #4  

Thanks!

I'm desperate to feel happy again, but not at the cost of gaining weight.

*off to get some Wellbutrin...
Peanut_butter is offline   Reply With Quote