Old 02-21-2006, 02:31 PM   #1  

Default Depo Provera and overweight women

Since I had posted about this issue before, I thought I would share with you some information I have just received from the nurse practitioner who did my yearly pap and switched my birth control.

She told me that she is not surprised that I have had problems with weight gain and losing weight. She said that the studies done by the manufacturers of the shot have concluded that women who are overweight when they start depo experience significant problems with weight gain and have issues with losing weight. She told me that I'm not crazy, that switching to a low-dose pill should help my weight loss endeavor and that I should likely see significant results within a year. Of course I must continue exercising and eating right, but getting off depo will help those things to actually work better. She also said that I am absolutely doing the right thing by switching to a pill and that she wished someone would have let me know that sooner.

I was so relieved, that made my day. Anything I can do to improve my efforts will be a big help.
buckettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:31 PM   #2  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I'm so happy you got some answers. Hope you have an easy time making the switch. Hopefully the low dose pills will make your weight loss efforts easier. I've been on Lo-Estrin (or similar generic formulations) for years with no problems. I've gained weight - but that's because of my diet and lack of exercise. Never had trouble losing when I set my mind to it. GL!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:24 AM   #3  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Have you heard anything about Lo-orval? I guess that is low dose as well.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:40 AM   #4  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I'm glad you were able to find that out, and hopefully the change will help make it easier to lose weight. Did anyone warn you in the beginning when you started on the Depo Provera that it might cause those problems? They certainly should have!

From what I have heard, the low dose pills shouldn't cause much of a problem - possibly a small gain mostly due to water retention in the very beginning, but if they do you should see your doctor to look into changing your prescription.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:13 PM   #5  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollyR
Have you heard anything about Lo-orval? I guess that is low dose as well.
Actually I am on a generic formulation of that brand. I had been on Lo-Estrin for years before I had kids. When I went back on it last summer after my baby was born, my body had a terrible time adjusting. After 3 months my midwife switched me to Lo-ovral and it's been fine. Until this cycle when for some strange reason I'm having breakthrough.

Last edited by Nori71; 02-22-2006 at 09:43 PM.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote