UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 02-14-2006, 07:21 AM   #1  

Talking New Too

Hi everyone I am new here too

I have a long way to go but I am wondering which diet to start on

Weight Watchers, Slimfast, Aitkins, Scottish Slimmers, Slimming World

Any recommendations?

Many thanks

Friski
Friskipixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:28 AM   #2  

Ello Friskie. I've done a weird mix of Paul McKenna's 'I Can Make You Thin' and Rosemary Conley's GI Jeans Diet (plus all her old diets, as I got a few books secondhand!) I also do obscene and frightening amounts of exercise.

I'd recommend Rosemary as it's a way of eating you can sustain longterm - so the fat stays off. I'm almost never hungry. I eat carbs for Britain. (No time for Atkins, sorry!) A glass of wine a day and a 100 cal treat is allowed. I drink wine. I have a KitKat or a 20g bar Green & Blacks, most days - although I don't drink every day - so I don't do deprivation, either! I try and eat organic and I'm a pescatarian (eat fish and dairy but no meat or meat products).

Works for me. But we're all different!
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:19 AM   #3  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Hello!

As for diets, something that you think you can stick with for ever, and ever and ever amen!

I also do obscene amounts of exercise, but I started out with just one hour class a week and now I do 5 hours of classes and running and weights on top of that!

So try a lifestyle change gradually increasing healthier habits
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:26 AM   #4  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I'm doing a diet which is a mixtured of two as well - I count calories combined with Low GI. I love cooking so Low GI is great for me because I get to be creative.

I also have a glass of wine each evening and a treat of cheese and biscuits once a week. (I love cheese like most people love chocolate so I have to force myself to only have it as a weekly treat otherwise I'd use up all my calories on it.) I eat a huge amount of fruit and vegetables and exercise a fair amount by walking and either doing an exercise DVD or using an exercise bike.

There are so many diets to chose from but I'd say browse the net and take a look at all the diets and try to find one which fits in with the kind of foods you prefer eating. Its easier to modify what you eat rather than to try eating completely differently. For instance I tried Atkins and hated it (I love my fruit and veg) but other people are quite happy to not bother with carbs as long as they can have an enormous steak every evening.

Good luck for whichever you chose!
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:32 AM   #5  

I'm like frus and phoenix, I eat healthily and exercise a lot. If I had a Scottish Slimmers near me, i would do that, I love their program, and I buy Boost magazine often. They seem the most flexible and sensible of the lot.

Whatever you choose, it needs to work for you, and you need to be able to get on with it for the long term.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:52 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 181/178/136

I agree. A diet is for life. I tried changing things too drastically and i was bored my dinner. You need to do things slowly. Even one meal at a time but i found that diet alone doesn't do enough for me I can eat really well but if i dont do some exercise i lack energy and that is the best feeling with weight loss the energy you gain.

Just don't push too soon and do it for you no-one else.
racanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:23 PM   #7  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

Hey, If I had to choose from your list Id say Ww, just becoz I know people it has worked for and I think it teaches lessons in portion size etc.
if u find enough information u can follow the 'friskipixie' plan.
Which maybe like the 'angeleyezx' plan of eating healthy and using knowledge and support from 3fc to keep you going!

gd luck, not that ull need it!
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:26 PM   #8  

Default slimming world

Hi Friski, and welcome,

I do Slimming World and I would definitely recommend it as it is a sustainable way of eating that doesn't require a whole load of weighing and measuring and won't keep you hungry. It's pretty flexible: if you are vegetarian, or don't wish to eat much meat you can stick to 'Green' days, and have unlimited potatoes, pasta etc, whereas if you love your meat you can do 'Red' days, where you have more meat and less starchy carbs. You can also have pretty much any other food in small doses (all foods are assigned a 'syn' value, and most people keep to 10 - 15 syns per day...so if you wanted a packet of crisps that would be 9 syns, and you could still have it along with other 'free' foods, which are generally low fat/lower calorie).

Having said that, even though there are 'unlimited' free foods, most people agree that moderate amounts of anything are better than eating say 5 jacket potatoes and 8 tins of beans in one sitting (although theoretically you could on a green day)....for me it works psychologically that I know I can have a large portion, without worrying about counting out 8oz of this, that and the other - in reality I eat good size portions, but don't go OTT.

Good luck!
Luna
LunaRiviera is offline   Reply With Quote