Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-05-2006, 05:32 PM   #1  
Mary Catherine

S/C/G: 202/200/150

Height: 5'9

Default stability ball

hey chickadees! i bought a stability ball over the weekend along with a book and some free weights. I was just seeing if anyone was using one and is getting results. They seem to offer more balancing which would seem to work on the core of the body but do they really make lean bodies like they claim?
Merecat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 07:46 PM   #2  

I've had one for several months. I have to admit it I only use it when I've missed a workout (I also use it at the Y for abs and stability). I got a very helpful DVD--The Method Target Stability Ball (I bought it online from Amazon for about $10).

Overall, I find it helpful for toning and core strength.

Hope this helps.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 01:49 AM   #3  

A fitball is great for increasing core strength. I have found it really useful. It's not going to make you lean, only burning fat by eating less calories than you need and doing cardio is going to do that.

Core strength is essential to other exercises. For example I couldn't use the rower before doing core stability, as my lower back used to hurt. Now I have stronger abs and back, I can row for half an hour.

Stick at it and use it 3 to4 times a week and you will notice a difference.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:14 PM   #4  
Mary Catherine

S/C/G: 202/200/150

Height: 5'9

kylie-
do you ever use free weights with the stability ball? what i meant by looking leaner is building muscle which in turn will burn fat. I also incorporate cardio but you do think it is a good addition and that's what i wanted to know thank ya much
Merecat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:23 PM   #5  

I do use free weights, I use it like a bench for pec fly and tricep extensions and sit on it for bicep curls and shoulder presses and raises. I love it for that, because you are getting two workouts in one, working your core, and the muscles of your choice.

I did a great circuit workout on the ball today in the gym. We did about 20 different exercises on it, and none of those included the free weights. It's such a versatile piece of equipment!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 12:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

I've heard great things about the stability ball, and I have yet to purchase one. I saw a dvd at Meijer last week, "Stability Ball Workouts For Dummies"...that's what I'LL have to get once I get one!

Good luck with it! I've also heard it's good for toning.
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:12 PM   #7  

I just bought a stability ball last week and I noticed so far that my stomach is easier to pull in when I workout and and I feel taller (posture improvement). I recommend it just for those two things! I am still waiting for the DVD I ordered from Amazon so I haven't really used it more than just doing crunches so far.
Rozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:14 PM   #8  

Some other really great DVDs that I like are the TLTs http://www.tracielongtraining.com/
and Cathe's Push Pull
http://shop.cathe.com/product_p/617.htm
Both sites give you previews so you can get an idea. I have been getting great results!
fikustrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:56 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 183/176/115

Height: 5'4"

I just finished my fourth '25 minute total body workout' from Core Secrets, done with the ball. So far so good. I'm trying to do this three days per week in addition to fast walking on the treadmill five times per week. I DO notice a difference in my waist, can actually feel my ribs, and my belt is one notch tighter! I really enjoy this workout, as it's easy to follow and the time goes VERY fast. Good Luck!
NJ_Karen is offline   Reply With Quote