Old 02-03-2006, 08:01 PM   #1  

Red face Already Frustrated

I've been on Atkins Induction for 9 days now. I've lost a mere 2 lbs. I guess some people would think that was awsome, but I don't. I've been on Atkins before I am used to dropping lots of weight by now. I am happy with the other results, like being off insulin, but I need more gratification. I guess I don't have any patience.

The other thing that's bothering me is my constant urge to munch. I search the fridge and cabinets all day for food that I know isn't there. I'm so sick of pork rinds the thought of eating them makes me ill.

I'm not really having a problem sticking to the diet. I'm just feeling anxiety and frustration that I have no outlet for. Food is my coping mechanism.
LaurAnnHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 08:28 PM   #2  
Going to ONEderland

Hi Laura, welcome. Food is your "coping mechanism?" What are you trying to cope with? For me a lot of times (though not lately), I've used food to cope with boredom. The way around that is to find other things to interest you.

What have you been eating? 2 pounds does sound a little small for induction level. It will speed up, I'm assuming it will anyway. Part of how Atkins works, is that it makes you less hungry, and you wind up eating for fuel rather than just to eat. (And therefore your caloric intake is less). At least that is how I see it.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 08:45 PM   #3  

I'm sure it's boredom. I guess the weird thing is that I don't have much of an appetite, I just crave something to munch on. I'm definately not hungry. This is not new for me. This is the first time I haven't been working while dieting, though. The last time I did Atkins was right before I got pregnant with Jamie. I lost about 15 lbs the first week. Then I found out I was pregnant and gradually moved to Maintenance for my pregnancy. I still lost a whopping 40 lbs during my pregnancy. 30 lbs of which was in my first trimester. I was eating really healthy, though. My doctors were not concerned. I'm a SAHM now and my son is only 18 months old. I don't know if being home all the time is what is different. I just expected it to happen like last time.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:10 PM   #4  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Hi LaurAnn and give us a sample of your typical days food, include everything including your snacks. This might be able for some of us to help you pinpoint where the trouble is.

Check your salt intake too, and water intake.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:17 PM   #5  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Ype body will remember this diet and will make it harder to lose the weight that is lost those first few weeks. I know I have done it many times. but eventually it will drop, also are you as active as you were before I do not mean the anxiety and caring for a delightful 18 month old, house and cleaning laundry is not busy but when you were working ....the rush if getting to work and running here and there and stuff???
nasus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:38 PM   #6  

I think the activity is comprable. I had an office job before.

My snacks are always the same.... pork rinds, & microwaved peperoni. I can't eat much of the peperoni b/c the flavor is so strong. I did snack on some bacon today, which I usually reserve for my salad. I eat a salad (just lettuce) every day for lunch. I don't eat salad dressing b/c I don't like it. I usually have a meat left over from the previous night in my salad. For dinner, I eat meat and cheese & mustard with salad. Tonight I'm having chicken and for a treat I made some salmon poppers. Just salmon, eggs, parsley, and pepper fried. I'm hoping that will give me my munchies fix. I only drink water. I have six 24 ounce bottles that I drink on all day. That makes for a gallon of water. I would drink unsweet tea, too, but I've been too lazy to make any, lol.

The thing that blows my mind is that I've been in large ketosis the whole time.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:05 PM   #7  

DH has lost 9 lbs.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:04 AM   #8  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

what are the totals? Carb and calories? Are you keeping track? I use fitday.com to keep track.

It doesnt look too bad, but not enough veggies. You should have seen more than a 2lb loss tho in your first week. That is however if you werent on a different diet right before going back to atkins. Because your initial water weight is the big loss you see in the first 2 weeks. If you have been doing something else, you're not going to see the water weight dissappear...if thats the case 2lbs is good for the first week.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 05:40 AM   #9  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

LorrAnn be patient I am sure this is a case where your body is being stubborn. you did it great one and you can do ti again just hang in there. I did the same thing the second time I did low carb. And as far as DH do not compare apples to oranges. men are made to burn fat faster than women even if they do nothing but sit ontheir butts al day that is why so mny women fail when the whole family get in on the weight loss. and why sites like this were created as women and men lose weight faster and they have no problem cheating

(LET ME JUST STATE THAT I AM USEING IT AS A GENERAL CATEGORY THERE ARE MANY MEN OUT THERE THAT HAVE PROBLEMS LOSING WEIGHT) (Just needed to stick that in but in general see how many men are in this web site.)

But let me step back up on my soap box. UUHH

Way back in cave men days and such the women were sent home to birth kids feed the hungry masses and many times it was from thier own breasts, and give their kids the food that the men brought home. that left them with not so much food and the kids left to depend on them to feed them. The men on the other hand were allowed to leave the caves eat food while they were hunting and bring home what they had left over. The women became very adept at storing all the food they could and being very difficult to let the energy storages go. (starvation mode)

So every time now when we go into a reduced calorie mode the body gets triggered to hang on that weight, and not let it go, but once it does see that you are still feeding it it will start to release it. like the thread about water and stalls in the first few weeks I posted several years ago. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8799 The body is getting smart to your ideas and trying to hold on the energy source that it burns easier and give you a hard time.

Please hang in there it will come!!!
nasus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:52 AM   #10  
TemporaryFatChick

I have known a lot of women who stayed home with their children when they were young, and it's an awesome gift to them (and you) but I know the isolation can be really difficult and it's easy to turn to food. Are there other women in your neighborhood who are doing the same thing that you can hang out with one or two days a week?

It's hard to get any exercise, particularly at this time of year, when you have small children in the house - but I think it may be key for you. Do you have a VCR? You can get all kinds of cheap, fun exercise videos on e-bay, and you might like getting in the habit of doing a different one every day when the baby is down for a nap. It will give you more energy, help with the boredom, and of course, help you tone up and loose more. When the weather turns, you can pack up the kid(s) and head to the park for a walk, swings, whatever works for their age. It would be cool to head there when the weather turns because you'll find other women doing the same thing, and it's a place to start some new friendships w/people who are in the same boat.

Do you have any hobbies or crafts that you like to do? Do you have a yard so you could grow your own garden? I'm a huge gardening fan because it's exercise that doesn't feel like exercise, it helps with the grocery bill, fresh veggies and herbs are yummy, and getting some sun and fresh air every day make a huge difference in how you feel. Then to, there's the satisfaction of knowing you REALLY put food on the table

Hang in there!

((((HUGS))))

Tenn
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 05:12 PM   #11  
Susan hockeyfan7

The other thing that immediately stood out to me when you were describing your daily food is the absence of fat. I find when I eat more fat, the weight comes off faster.

I know I am very metabolically challenged. I found that if I get stuck and I do the Atkins fat fast for a couple of days, it gets me back on track.

Are you on any kind of prescription drugs that could be causing a slow weight loss like hormones or anti-depressants or birth control pills or diuretics or beta blockers?

I know I take a diuretic and beta blocker for high blood pressure, birth control pills and an anti-inflammatory for arthritis -- all of which slow down weight loss.

I also know when I do the fat fast, I am never hungry.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:45 AM   #12  
Baby Steps

Don't forget to check your measurements! You could be losing inches rather than scale weight.
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:12 PM   #13  

I took my measurements for the first time yesterday so I can keep up with them as well. I do get pretty lonely during the day. I think that's a lot of why I'm searching for food. I'm bored. I don't have any friends that don't work. My MIL lives just 7 houses down the road and we go over there some, but it's not very entertaining, and the time is mostly spent chasing Jamie and trying to keep him out of things.

During the warm days it's not so bad. I take the kids to the park and stuff. I was babysitting a bunch of kids and that was much better. I really enjoyed it. My DH, on the other hand, worries too much. He worries about the liability of me watching people's children. Just recently, my little neice was beaten. Though there is evidence pointing toward who did it, the investigation has been going on for months and she was removed from their home until it is complete. The day it happened, my mother called to ask if I would watch her, but before I could call my brother he had decided to leave her with his wife and her boyfriend (long story). I wonder if I had watched her if she would have been spared being beaten, or if I would be on the chopping block, too. That's the kind of thing my DH worries about.

I'm only down 4lbs. now. I've been on the diet nearly 2 weeks. I had the hardest day Sunday. We went to my MIL to visit with family that came in from out of state. They ordered pizza. I wanted to eat some so bad. My brain kept giving me excuses to give in. The words "cheat day" occured to me, especially as I cut up Jamie's pizza. I wanted to just have a bite. I made it though. Seriously, I almost cried it was so hard. Isn't it awful when food has that kind of control over you.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:15 PM   #14  

Oh, I found these awsome microwave meals that make my life a TON easier. They are just a beef steak and lots of broccolli. They have 4 net carbs. They tast good and are ready in 3 1/2 minutes. Now I feel more like eating lunch. I add cheese to the broccolli.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:01 PM   #15  
Going to ONEderland

Pizza.... yes I can see the temptation. People I know have just eaten the cheese and the toppings and left the bread behind. I've done it too on occassion but it is hard to get enough to eat that way. Still it is better than missing out on it all together.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote