South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 03:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Default I went to see a nutritionist today!

This is meant to by no means to discourage any of the newbies. Just keep doing SBD the way it's written, this is just an update for the ? oldbies? ( )

After my big fall in sept I kept falling all over the place- twisted my ankle, then fall off the curb and jammed my hand/arm really bad. I'm finally mostly heeled from all that but lost my momentum to be careful about watching what I eat and exercising. As you can tell, I haven't even been an exercise princess since Aug. I decided I needed some guidance so I went to visit a nutritionist.

I learned way too much today. My resting metabolic rate is 2090 calories. I'm 33% body fat, with 107 pounds of lean body mass and 53 pounds of fat. She
actually thought I could get down to 110-120 pounds. I've never even thought about getting that low.

Her suggestions for me:
-Work on getting calories down to 1400 a day. Not all at once, a gradual decrease over several weeks. She says that I've been eating around 2500 calories a day since I've slowly started gaining a little. (It's those nuts-no matter how many times I tell myself that a handf is not a good measuring tool, I still grab a handful, and those occasional treats that became a little to frequent. )
-Get 7 servings of fruits and veggies
-pair lean protein with a smart carb when eating, eat every 3 hours if possible.
-exercise 60 minutes a day, most every day at a high enough intensity that I feel it. Strolling around the block with the dog doesn't count. This includes
aerobic and strength training.
-Write down how much and what I eat and all physical activity.

I'm supposed to fax her once a week all my journals.

She says that it's time to let my inner athlete out. It was interesting, she said that looking at my results that I've definately been more fit in the past
because my bmr is so high and my resting pulse is so low (55).

I can't blame my weight on low metabolism, insulin resistance or anything like that. I just like to eat too much and not do enough. I'm so depressed! I have
to get up off my butt and do something! <Whine> <pout>

Oh, well at least I had my kick in the pants and maybe I'll get serious about it again.

Sarah
Old 01-25-2006, 04:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/145/143

Height: 5ft 6

Hey Sarah,

That all really is interesting! I'm jealous though cause my body only burns 1550 calories a day! That doesn't make sense to me that you could get down to 110-120 pounds if your body mass minus fat is 107. That doesn't seem healthy to me at all! Sorry you are feeling so down on yourself but those goals seem totally do-able and congrats to you for taking the initiative to take better care of yourself.

Plus you've lost so much already! Kudos to you!

Good luck and I'm here if you need to chat!
Old 01-25-2006, 04:55 PM   #3  

Hey Sarah - You and I are similar - I'm 5' - and my current (and highest) weight is 181. Blech. I am on Day 8 of Phase 1...I have a Doctor's appointment today, so I'll weigh in there. See if I've lost anything. It sure doesn't feel like it! Good luck getting "back on the wagon"!!!
Old 01-25-2006, 05:18 PM   #4  

sarah,

Do you know how she came up with your resting metabolic rate? I know there are formulas that aren't very accurate so I was wondering if you did any sort of tests to determine this.

Nilla
Old 01-25-2006, 05:26 PM   #5  

How neat to get such great insights on your body Sarah..You've done so well --I'm sure you will find that inner athelete!!
Old 01-25-2006, 05:48 PM   #6  

Nilla, I breathed into this instrument for 10 minutes with a clamp on my nose. I almost fell asleep. Then after 10 minutes it beeps and a number appears.

Who knows how accurate it is. When someone tells me to breath normal I can't, I wind up concentrating on my breathing until something distracts me. It could possibly be way off. That's why I'm not too worried about her telling me to cut back to 1400 calories eventually.

Sarahslacker, I hadn't thought about that. You're right, with 107 pounds lean, it would be pretty hard to get down to 110 pounds. I really don't have an end weight in sight. I want to get down to under 25% body fat and firm up the jiggly places that shouldn't jiggle so much.

Even though I've lost 40 pounds, my knees and feet are starting to bother me again so I have to drop some more and exercise, exercise, exercise.

Sarah
Old 01-25-2006, 09:49 PM   #7  

Thanks for the info Sarahyu, I was curious about how they determined that.

I understand what you are saying about the breathing and tests. I had an EKG the other day and I am sure my heart was racing but I couldn't help it. The minute they tell me to sit back and relax I do the exact opposite.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:05 PM   #8  
Who needs sleep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahyu
Sarahslacker, I hadn't thought about that. You're right, with 107 pounds lean, it would be pretty hard to get down to 110 pounds. I really don't have an end weight in sight. I want to get down to under 25% body fat and firm up the jiggly places that shouldn't jiggle so much.
Estimating 20% body fat (or rather, 80% lean), since you said you wanted to be less than 25%, and a current "lean weight" of 107, that would move your goal weight to about 130-135 (133.75 was the actual number I got).
Old 01-25-2006, 11:12 PM   #9  
Movin on down the scale

Sarah, I had my metabolism tested with that kind of machine and I am at 1050/day. I am VERY low. I should go see a nutritionist also and see what I can do to be healthier, and loose this last 20 (ish) pounds.

*I say (ish) since I am not sure if I want to loose 15 or 20 more pounds..lol*
Old 01-26-2006, 12:49 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaLooseitagain
Sarah, I had my metabolism tested with that kind of machine and I am at 1050/day. I am VERY low. I should go see a nutritionist also and see what I can do to be healthier, and loose this last 20 (ish) pounds.

*I say (ish) since I am not sure if I want to loose 15 or 20 more pounds..lol*
Dang, that gotta suck lemons. Did they say what you should do to raise it?

H-ko- I'm thinking that I'll be happy to see 140. I'll see what happens when I get closer to decide if I want to actually get down in the 130 range.

Sarah
Closed Thread