Old 01-25-2006, 02:32 PM   #1  
Go Blue Team!

S/C/G: 154/148/115

Height: 4'11"

Default Foods for energy?

So as of this week, I'm trying to get healthier... (ie: no junk food, no fast food, more regular, real foods)... and I thought that it would give me more energy, but I feel like I have even less energy now. I have my Billy's Bootcamp DVDs but I'm just too pooped even to do my normal everyday "to do list" let alone work out for 55min.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I'm actually eating breakfast (shredded wheat cereal), eating a relatively healthy lunch (roasted chicken w/ tortilla chips), relatively healthy dinner (lean meat with vegetables and maybe a carb, like brown rice or brown noodles) and I'm weaning myself off Dr. Pepper by drinking tea... sweet tea, mind you, but not nearly as bad as Dr. Pepper. And when I want a dessert, I eat one of those mini dark chocolates with almonds... but instead of eating like the whole bag in one day, I've only been eating a couple (if any at all)... and they're very small.

I know I could be doing a lot better, and eventually I will be, but this is the problem I face with my diet... when I keep it the same, I rarely have any energy... when I change it, I still have no energy.

Is there anything I can add or cut out of my diet that will raise my energy level any? (So I can actually exercise... or at least not have to take a nap during the day.)

I'm also going on a trip next week that will involve hiking... I can't back out of it because it's really important to my hubby and best friend. I love to hike, but I just feel so drained. I need to find some meal and snack ideas that I can take with me on the trails or eat at the camp.
inklestinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 02:44 PM   #2  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

Are you journaling? Do you know how many calories you ARE eating? I mean, in all honesty, it took ME about a month to get past the kinda tired feeling--but then, I'm a LOT bigger than you are so I wouldn't think this should be quite the same situation for you. It really sounds to me like you're not eating enough. Roasted chicken? Not many calories...and you're pairing it with tortilla chips? You might need to throw in more fresh fruit and veggies. While it all ultimately boils down to calories in vs. calories out to create a deficit that results in weight loss, MANY people here are going to tell you that the QUALITY of the calories you eat makes a big difference too. Chicken is somewhere along the lines of 27 cal/ounce....tortilla chips sound like the only thing giving you any significant calories at lunch and I'll admit, I have some once in a while too, but that's along with a big taco salad (all courtesy Wendys )

The other thing I'll suggest is that you modify your calories eaten on the days you exercise (i.e., eat more). You have to provide adequate fuel for the body. As far as the hiking, I would eat sensibly, but definitely eat what you want/need when you go hiking. You can burn 1,000 or more calories on a hike and boy, you do NOT want to bonk while you're on the trail. Be sure to take trail snacks with you!

Cheers, Tracy
NowOrNever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 02:48 PM   #3  
Egy Kis Lany

I found that once I started taking a daily vitamin supplement and increased fruits/veggies, that really helped. (It took a couple weeks, but then there it was!!)
Also, the smell of citrus is believed to be a natural invigorator... so try peeling and eating an orange or grapefruit. You'll get some food, some nutrients, some sunshine, and maybe a little kick.
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:03 PM   #4  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

Also, could be your body getting used to going off the caffeine (Dr. Pepper) or just used to any change in general. Things like that generally take a while, you kind of have to force your way for a while before body and mind catch up.
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 212/166/139

Height: 5'6"

I'm having this same problem with lack of energy. I try to keep between 1300-1500 cal. a day and even on the days I exercise, I just feel drained. I wondered if anyone has tried ,with any success, any of the protein bars for energy.
lilolme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:31 PM   #6  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

Hey lilolme--I haven't tried the protein bars, but I did find that I CRAVED protein when I was going through my first month of all this. I was SO TIRED and frankly, was probably getting 10 hours of sleep each night because I NEEDED it (this is where being single and telling the cats it's time to go to bed is so much better than having kids or a DH to balance life around ). It took me a month, but things finally settled out and I got my energy level back. Sorry I don't remember the thread, but this came up in some discussions in December and I know there were other ladies posting then who went through a really kinda of "tired phase" the first few weeks to a month when they started both exercising and modifying their diet.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:49 PM   #7  
Go Blue Team!

S/C/G: 154/148/115

Height: 4'11"

I didn't think about this until vitamin supplements were mentioned, but I think that may have alot to do with it. I don't take vitamins because the iron makes me nauseous (or at least that what the doc thinks since other women in my family have the same problem) but because of this and my poor eating habits, I'm iron deficient. I already went to the doctor a long time ago, talked to her about it, she ran some tests and she said sometimes I get anemic... but I haven't thought about that in a while so I didn't even consider that a possibility. Sheesh. Stupid me. So I guess I better find a way to get some iron and vitamins in me. I'm going to talk to my doctor and see what I can do about it. Heck, it'll probably help with all my yucky symptoms I've been feeling as late... all of which I attributed to my weight, when I should've been remembering what the Dr. said about other aspects of my health.

Don't worry... I'm also going to continue following all of yall's advice about journalling, eating healthier, calories in/out, etc. because it couldn't hurt and maybe even make it easier for me, since all of that involves being on a schedule, just like taking supplements does.
inklestinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:25 PM   #8  
Mel

I think if you are just starting this, you may be having sugar and caffeine withdrawal. If you used to drink soda throughout the day, you were used to a regular jolt of both. Your body needs time to readjust. Try to eat frequent, small meals so that your blood sugar levels don't drop drastically before your next meal. I find that if I eat some protein and a healthy carb (whole grain or fruit) every 3 hours or so, I don't get tired or crave other foods.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:29 PM   #9  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

I was anemic for several months last year (related to some OTHER fun problems). I took a slow dissolving/absorbing iron pill (sorry forget the brand) and that was easier on my stomach, but still....iron is a toughie for a lot of people to take.

And I am just, like SO sorry (not)--liver is NOT becoming a part of my diet
Old 01-25-2006, 05:37 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Yup, like Mel said .... protein every couple of hours. That way your blood sugar never has a chance to dip.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote