Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-25-2006, 11:57 AM   #1  

Default Eviliptical and Dreadmill mental games?

I just did the eliptical and am I the only one who plays head games? Hubby doesn't so I wonder if I'm weird. I don't allow myself a drink or water until ten minutes have passed. I strive to get 400 cals burned or better in 20 mins (according to the very off eliptical counter) and then I get to go at a somewhat slower pace for the last 10 mins. I enjoy step videos a lot more. I sweat as much or more and the time is up before I know it. But I still make myself do the eliptical once or twice a week because I know if I hate it that much it's good for me to perservere through it. LOL!

Does anybody else play these games while working out? Weights I don't mind at all, but aerobic is dreaded!

Old 01-25-2006, 12:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

When I'm on the treadmill, I tell myself 15 min, then it is more. I mark my progress. I attracted to all the gadgets on the machine. Then when I'm trying to make it through the 15 min, I'm reading my weightloss magazine OR I use my pda games. LOL. Really, the treadmill I can do forever, it's the other machines that I have a hard time staying 15min and more.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 238/196/130

Height: 5'4"

O yes, I do it too. I tell myself I must stop on a even number and I must do 30 or more minutes and I get absolutely furious if I have planned to get on the treadmill and cant for some reason. I am so compulsive sometimes! I have found that I either want to do it too much or not at all. I have tired talking to myself and telling myself that ANY exercise is more than I was doing and if I don't get 30 minutes or more that is okay. I am basically lazy and if I let up on this I will quit entirely. I can't seem to find a happy medium. But I don't plan on quitting. I will just grin and bear my little "head games".
Betty925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:34 PM   #4  

I'm in good company then, my trainer at the gym says I have an obsessive compulsive disorder with my mind games and rituals. I always get on on the right hand side of a piece of equipment and off on the left And I have little games and targets to keep me moving. I now reward myself that if I do 20 minutes hills on the treadmill, I can go on the stepper. You know your sad when going on the stepper is a treat!!!

Betty925 I love that quote by Philip Yancey, his books are amazing!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Do whatever you have to to go just a little more. I row through a TV show. I go faster during the ads.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 02:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I have an iPod shuffle and when I get on the rowing machine, I tell myself that I can't look at the time until I've listened to 10 songs. Then when I've listened to 10 songs, I tell myself, okay, two more songs, then you're done. I find if I keep looking at the timer, 45 min. is interminable, but if I play that little "game" with myself, I can get in 45 min. or more with no problem.

I always use the elliptical with a TV screen attached so I watch TV while I workout. I use the same sort of game. Before I can look at the timer, I have to watch two show segments and the accompanying commercials.

Anything to keep us exercising!!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:27 PM   #7  

Yay! I'm not the only one! And Sheila, that is exactly what I do too! "I can't look at the clock until three songs are up!" I always manage to sneak a peak anyway. Ha ha! But it's good to know I'm not the only one!