Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-23-2006, 11:20 AM   #1  

Default 627 lb woman and half ton man

I don’t know if this is the right place to post this. I just wanted to share something that really made an impression on me. TLC has been doing a lot of stories on obese people lately and I watched a couple of them this weekend. One was “627 lb. Woman. Jackie’s story” and another one about “Half ton man”
Honestly, I cried almost the whole time I was watching Jackie’s story. One place where she is trying to get in to the back seat of a minivan and she just totally breaks down saying “I can’t do this” over and over again. It was just so heartbreaking. Such a simple thing most of us take for granted as getting in to a vehicle, much less in to the back seat, and for her it’s a huge deal.
The Half ton man was also pretty unbelievable. They were showing how they tried to get him out of the house. They had to bring in the transport they use for whales and break down a wall in his house…
It was very hard to watch. Just such a raw emotional feeling of desperation and the worst thing was, I kept asking my self “Why?” “Why did these people let them selves get to that point?” and then the inevitable “Why did I let my self get to the point where I am?” Granted I’m only 300 lb and I have been able to keep a 15 lb loss for a few months now, but I am still about twice the size I should be and it didn’t escape my attention that Jackie is twice my size. Is it that unbelievable then that I could have just as easily been her at 627 lb if I managed to become me at 315lb (at my highest point)?
I can’t describe all the feelings those shows had brought up in me. I don’t even know why I kept watching them after I started crying, I suppose it’s like I train wreck, you just can’t help your morbid fascination. But they did send a powerful message deep in to my brain: “Stop now and do something or next show like that can be about you.”
Anyway, this seemed like a good place to share these feelings. I think people here will understand more than anywhere else.
NinaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:53 AM   #2  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

I was pretty fascinated by both of those shows as well (I watched them a while ago though). With the man, I couldn't help but think how his family was partially responsible. I mean, someone had to be bringing him food or items to make food when he could no longer move, and that was probably his wife. She talked about what a sweet man he was but you could tell she wasn't so very independent herself and must have just given in to whatever his demands were for food.

Jackie's spirit amazed me. It was heartbreaking to watch her try to do the things she needed to do, but most of all she was so hopeful the whole time it just amazed me. For someone like her to be where she is, admit to being the cause of her own problem, and yet to have such a pleasant and optimistic attitude in life. That I think amazed me the most. I wish I could look at all my own flaws like that, fess up to them, and then move on instead of either ignoring them or feeling horrible about them. Really amazing programming, I suspect with the way things are going we'll see more of this more often.
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:00 PM   #3  
Kellygrl

I cannot tell you how much I agree. I felt the exact same way while I was watching it. I am 45 lbs overweight and recently started WW.
It broke my heart to see this lovely woman who just wanted to feel 'like a woman' again. You're right, is a train wreck, but made me so grateful and I am really hoping for her to get some relief.
Thank you for touching on this.
Big hug to everyone who is here ....this is a super place to bring this up.
Kelly
kb1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:36 PM   #4  

That just breaks my heart...

You know I have always had a weight problem my whole life. But I always used to think wow I could never get that big. Well you know at 180 I thought I just can't get to 200. Then at 200 its like I could never get to 250...and then 300 was just out of the picture. But here I am struggling at 330. But I used to not understand how someone could get that big...like 500-600 pounds. But I never thought I would be at 300. Its very scary....
mechell81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:46 PM   #5  
Livin' La Vida Mocha

I didn't see Jackie's story, but I did see the one about the half-ton man. He just seemed bitter and mean, regardless of his weight. And I absolutely agree that his wife was somewhat responsible. At one point she said something to the effect that she hadn't noticed how big he was getting. HELLO!!! How blind do you have to be not to notice?

Mechelle- welcome! {{{hugs}}} I know what you mean about seeing the numbers. I topped out at 253 in 2003. It took me a while, but I finally found the pieces to solve my puzzle.
TribeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:14 PM   #6  

I agree about the half ton man, I thought that because he was so dependent on his wife for everything, she is partially responsible. And I also agree about Jackie, her spirit and attitude all things considered are pretty amazing. She went through a lot and I hope she keeps getting better, but they also show her doctor saying that people like her will most likely always be obese. For her the whole WLS and everything was not about getting skinny, it was about improving her condition the best they could. By the end of the show she was what about 350-400 or so? And she already could do a lot more things for herself that she couldn’t do before. It was also pretty amazing that she was trying to thank the medical transport people at the end, she said that their work is not appreciated until people need them, but people like her self are eternally grateful. Who would have thought that in these circumstances she would be thinking about someone other than her self and all she is going through?
You’re right, it is scary, big time. Fear, pure undiluted fear of even being able to get to that point was one of the emotions that made me cry while watching Jackie’s story. I guess it is also scary to see how a human body becomes something else, not quite human, not animal, just a big blob of something.
This would be a good time to remind my self that a human brain is so much more powerful than the body. If I can know in my heart that I can do this, I can lose the weight and get my second chance at making my life better. If I can believe it, I can do it and seeing Jackie’s story makes me think that I have to believe it. Because if she can still be so hopeful in the condition she was, that what do I have to cry about?
Old 01-23-2006, 04:07 PM   #7  

I watched Jackie. I couldn't watch the man. I felt his wife was implicated. She must get a secondary gain from his condition. She brings him food and tends to him in every way. I hope Jackie is getting better. I'm going to see if there is a follow up on TLC.
Laura
LauraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 271/249/135

I watched both of the shows last night.
I was so suprised when he was doing some excercise and then called out to her "honey, would you bring me a diet cherry coke".... They showed him walking slowly around...he could have gotten that one himself, or perhaps get lazy and not have one...what a concept. ( I use that one a lot, I am too lazy to walk to the fridge so I play games and then avoid it all together)
Another episode which startled me is that he was told how much to intake, and she makes him breakfast, when asked how many calories is this meal, she said "I have no clue"...ok so you are a wife, responsible and feeding him, wouldn't you look out for him...though he is mean, and may be that's what is stopping her.
--------------
In the middle of half ton man they showed a piece about another guy Michael or Jeff cannot think of his name. Who was fat, lost it all, and then gained it all back. Was admitted to a food rehab, and then out home again, until it's time to go back.
This is where I stopped watching as I had to leave friend's house, but I was crying as I drove scared to death that I will loose and then gain back...what if I am also gonna be like him, first take, 1, then another, another another, and before I know I am back to square one. Concern is even deeper, I think further on how to stop myself from falling back into a vicious cycle again. For example I am single now, get to do what I want, go to the gym, my day is built around me. It would be super hard to care for a family, husband, dinners, ball practices, homework. With me at work till 6 and at the gym till 8, where do I find time for other things in my life???
I am scared that I might slip simply because of no time!
(It's far away, a few years at least, but I am seriously thinking I must have enough to have a nanny, so I can concentrate on health, because no cleaning lady or nanny can replace me for my children anyday!)
CBETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:07 PM   #9  

Default Stress release

I too watched the two aforementioned programs along with my partner last night, and what i hoped that she would gain from seeing it would be some understanding of how hard i struggle with my weight and eating disorders. I have lost 140 pounds but have used bulemia and restricting in the place of compulsive over-eating although at present i am in a period of abstainence, although the urges haunt me and every day is a struggle, some days so hard i can almost not bear them.
In the end my partner and i fought. She is exhausted and tired of my food obsessions. She is worn weary of my odd behaviours and my self-imposed misery. I am trying to break free, attending OA, and have just started searching for a sponsor. My partner cannot help me, and i know i need to be the one helping myself, but sometimes it is overwhelming.
I too was frightened by what i saw on the shows, but i refuse to give up. I do not want to be obese again...happy would be nice though...i am working on that...
nebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:52 PM   #10  

I watched both programs too, and it was so sad, Jackie seemed like the kindest, nicest person you would want to meet....I would also like to see a follow up story on her. I think the half ton man was quite rude...but I am glad that he done something about though, I'm surprised he lived to get the surgery....so sad..
DeeJae37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:33 PM   #11  

Default Scared skinny

You know how there used to be a show or a movie or something like that called "Scared Straight" for troublesome kids. Well, maybe we can use these shows to get "Scared Skinny?" Just an idea.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:02 PM   #12  
Melting Mama

I've thought about taping those and using them for low moments to inspire myself.

The thing to remember is that with most of these stories that I've seen (these shows and places like Maury Povich) is that most of them seem to be in the 300's and 400's for a while and are mobile until something happens, like an illness or injury. It's really a wakeup call to realize that if something made me immobile I could end up like that someday.

My real wakeup call is my great aunt. She's over 400 lbs easily, but she's getting so old and in bad shape (hips and knees deteriorated from her weight) that she can't walk up steps, has to use a walker, has trouble getting up and down from chairs. She's in a nursing home now, mainly because of her weight. I don't want to ever be that.
jjmoreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:25 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmoreta
I've thought about taping those and using them for low moments to inspire myself.
I like that idea. I think that the twinky will go in to the garbage faster than you can say "Twinky" if I put one of those tapes on for inspiration. The best thing to do is to take something positive out of those shows and make it a good lesson, rather than just something really really sad.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:40 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Has anyone taped this show? I don't have cable-learned a long time ago that when there is more to watch, I watch way more then I should.

I find that I get more motivated to watch what I eat when I've seen a larger person recently, like at the mall or on the bus. When it's so difficult for them to even walk a short distance without being out of breath, it makes me think that could be me in few years if I'm not careful.

Your so right about the scale-when I was creeping up to 150, I said that I'll get serious when I hit 150, then I passed 150 and kept saying it every 10 pounds. It wasn't until the doctor told me I had high blood pressure and arthritis. I kept telling her that those were old people diseases. She told me that the stress of 200 pounds on a 5' frame was enough to make my body old before its time.

Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote