Old 01-12-2006, 08:21 AM   #1  
Big Momma!

Height: 5,2

Question Yoga?

Ok I need some help.
I use to be so bendable and in shape. I thought Yoga will help me get back into my shape.
However the more I read the more confused I get.
So manhy differnt Yogas out there, WOAH wich one?
How long do I stay in a position? Why cant I concentrate? lol
I really want to do this..but I dont know how to start. Like wich videa to get?
Any help would be great!!!

Thanks!!!
Jasmin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:35 AM   #2  

I really recommend finding a class to start with rather than looking for videos. Yoga is all about nuance and proper alignment, and you really need an instructor there to guide you as you learn the ropes.

You are right in that there are a lot of different types. You might find it helpful to go to the website for Yoga Journal, they have LOTS of good info for beginners. (www.yogajournal.com). Try out different styles and different instructors. Some styles are going to be more vigorous, some more meditative, different styles will emphasize different aspects of the practice, and some will suit you and your goals more than others. Look for instructors that are really yoga instructors, and not general exercise class instructors who do yoga once a week. Most yoga studios will let you take a class for free, and many have a series especially for beginners to give you ground-up instruction. Don't worry about not being in shape -- in yoga everyone is so focused on what they are doing that they really don't even see anyone else but the teacher 90% of the time. Yoga is about inclusiveness and doing what YOUR body will allow, not about showing off. It should be a safe, welcoming, non-competitive environment. I HATE exercise classes but love yoga class.

If you really really really insist on a video, look at gaiam.com. They have a video called Yoga for Weight Loss that I think is pretty good for beginners.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:38 PM   #3  

I used to do Steve Ross' Inhale on the Oxygen network and it really is a great workout and I got really limber pretty fast. I loved it alot. I plan on going back to it after my wedding. Right now im concentrating on cardio and weight training. Here is the information of when it is on http://www.oxygen.com/Inhale/
Rozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:48 PM   #4  
Big Momma!

Height: 5,2

Cool thank you both!!

yeah I am thinking I want somone who knows what I am doing. Afterall if I dont do it right I can hurt myself more then I am doing good ....
I will check this link out right now thank you Roxy
Jasmin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:29 PM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

I started with an Ashtanga Yoga Primary Series class myself. The nice thing about that is you do the same routine every time so you get to be really good at it.

I definitely agree with finding a class with a good instructor. Try your local Park and Rec - YJ also has that class finder that funniegirl mentioned but it's not all-inclusive i.e. it doesn't include every class around, so you might want to check the yellow pages in your area for yoga studios.

(BTW our gym just started a new 'Gentle/Basic Yoga' class this month - check to see if you can find something like that... )
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote