Old 01-06-2006, 09:45 PM   #1  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Question Hemp Protein?

Has anyone tried hemp protein? I'd like to know what it tastes like and how it compares to soy or whey protein. I did a Google search, but all I could find were companies who sell it and they may not be unbiased in their opinions.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 02:39 PM   #2  
Opulent

If you check my food logs, you'll see it in nearly every post It's the only protein powder I use. It is a complete plant protein, high in omega 3 fatty acids, very high in fiber and cholesterol free. In short? A perfect food, IMO. The taste is different than you might imagine and the texture is a bit gritty. I put it in smoothies, oat meal, and calcium-fortified orange juice mostly. I suggest the "Nutiva" brand as it is low in fat and really high in fiber and protein.
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:57 PM   #3  
Brit Chick

Thanks for the info . I like to make my shakes as healthy as possible. I think I'll get some of the Hemp protein and give it a try. I like to have a bit of variety. Right now I'm using one that has soy protein (Balance 40/30/30). I also have some whey protein. I've just started adding freshly ground golden flax seed and that also has Omega 3. I like to add some frozen berries and it makes a great breakfast.

I wonder if you can get too much Omega 3 . I'm also taking a high dose of fish oil which is high in Omega 3 and it's definitely helping my arthritis.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:41 PM   #4  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

I use Living Harvest Hemp protein. 2 tablespoons contains 2½ g unsaturated fat, 8 g fibre, 14 g protein.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:45 PM   #5  
Opulent

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpal
I wonder if you can get too much Omega 3 .
What is important is the balance of Omega 3's to Omega 6's. The Omega 6's are more commonly represented in the standard American diet.
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:02 PM   #6  
Brit Chick

Yes, I did know about it being important to balance the ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3, I just was wondering if an excess of either (especially Omega 3) could be harmful. I believe fish oil can act as a blood thinner - I'm not so sure about the other sources of Omega 3.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:04 PM   #7  
Brit Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DishyFishy
I use Living Harvest Hemp protein. 2 tablespoons contains 2½ g unsaturated fat, 8 g fibre, 14 g protein.
Thanks for the info. By the way, you look great in your progress photos!
Old 01-11-2006, 08:53 AM   #8  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpal
By the way, you look great in your progress photos!
Thank you.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote