PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 12-04-2005, 11:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 326/326/164

Height: 5'11"

Default New and insulin resistant

Hi I am new here and insulin resistant. Any ideas or tips on my weight loss?
~Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 05:30 PM   #2  
angst and eyeliner

S/C/G: 230/230/150

Height: 5' 3"

hi! and welcome. i'm still fighting my own insulin resistance/weight problem. it's a little more challenging, but not impossible. are you on metformin (aka glucophage); it's one of the first meds for i.r. it helps improve insulin sensitivity and leads to some initial weight loss.

the best diets for pcos/i.r. are low carb, such as the south beach diet, the insulin resistance diet, the glycemic index diet, etc. also, exercise is also a treatment (ugh, i know it isn't fun, but it does help!).
isenephthys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:31 PM   #3  
Groban's Mommy

Red face Also new and insulin resistant

I was recently diagnosed with insulin resistance myself and have officially started my full dosage of Metformin today. I also am cutting calories, walking more, and have started a journal to track not only my weight, but my feelings as well. I could sure use a buddy!
grumpybear902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:38 PM   #4  
Groban's Mommy

Have you seen a quick change in your weight since you started Metformin or has it been really slow?
Old 12-14-2005, 07:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'n also IR and on metformin. Didn't see a huge weight loss with it. It's been frustrating, because I've always been heavy, and knowing that in my twenties I would have dropped 10 lbs a week on what I'm eating now to lose a stinkin' half pound. At my size, it seems ridiculous.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:25 PM   #6  

I am not on any meds yet. My doctor ran a bunch of tests and we discussed the results and the diagnosis and I go back to see him on the 21st and we'll discuss the changes and things. So I am just trying to get the diet under toe before I go see him!

~Sharon
Old 12-28-2005, 12:00 PM   #7  
Groban's Mommy

Thumbs up It's working

Well, this Metformin is great. Had a little bit of nausea at first, but I really like the medicine. I get fuller, faster. I feel hungry less often and also don't get grumpy when I am hungry. I don't feel the need to snack. It's amazing. I guess I never knew what it was like before to be full unless I was really overstuffed. Now I can eat a meal and not be hungry again for 4 hours or so. In the past, I was hungry again almost immediately.

I haven't cut sugars out yet, which I was supposed to do! The holidays have been bad for me though, and I've been under a lot of stress. I know...no more excuses. I guess I'm doing what a lot of people are doing...waiting for the new year to see what happens when I really stick to it.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:31 PM   #8  

I was started on metformin and haven't had any side effects to speak of! I am hoping it works as well for me as I have heard it works for others! On;y time will tell so we'll see! lol
Old 01-07-2006, 12:56 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 298/226/150

Height: 5'2''

I have lost 72lbs in a year. And it took the full year. I saw my Endocrinologist Dec 2004 (an Endocrinologist is the best to see and not a Gyn/OBGYN as IR and PCOS are hormonal problems) I was started on the "generic brand" of metformin 3 times a day. It made me sick...I mean in the hospital sick with an acid-like diarrhea (similar to lactic acidosis). I saw the Dr again in June 2005 and the metformin was dropped to 2 times a day, I was also prescribed Meridia 10mg a day. At first I was o.k with that dosage of Metformin but by Oct 2005 I was once again in the hospital with the acid diarrhea and hooked up to intraevenous. I then took myself off the Metformin, but stayed on the Meridia. I was losing weight during all this. By Nov 2005 I felt I was losing my battle and had actually gained back 15lbs. I saw my Dr this past Dec 2005 and was prescribed Metformin brand name (Glucophage) 500mg 3x's a day= 1500mg and increased my Meridia to 15mg once a day. I seem to be doing much better on the Glucophage with only a bit of nausea and dry mouth. I have lost 5 lbs in the past week and a half and feel I am gaining ground again. One of the other problems I seem to be having with my meds is being cold all the time. I sweat like crazy at night, but am constantly cold during the day. Cold hands, feet, nose and arms...anyone else like this?
campinbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:51 PM   #10  
newloser

Default 3 Fat Chicks Newbie

Hi! I too was diagnosed with insulin resistance, and have been on Metformin for about a year and a half. When I started, I did really well with my diet, but kind of lost myself along the way. My test results were good, so my doc cut my dosage from 1500 mg/day to 500 mg/day. Since then, I have gained ten pounds and don't feel very well. So I'm going back to 1500 mg and starting back on an exercise schedule and trying to eat well. I love this site!
yorkielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:39 PM   #11  

Hi Campinbuff,

I am on Metformin 2x a day at 500mg each and I freeze all day, hands, feet, everything. Then in bed I sweat my buns off, too! The Endo told me that was part of Hypoglycemia/IR and I'll have to deal with it.

I have not had any weight loss in the 60 days I've been on it, but I was sick for about 2 weeks. I'm feeling less sick and can actually do the treadmill for 20 minutes w/o falling off from low blood sugar. But, I do need some Glucose Pills after to raise my sugar a bit. It's pretty frustrating since I've gained 60lbs in 8 months!!!
Heidi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:02 PM   #12  
newloser

My doctor upped my dosage to 1000 mg/day, and I am feeling much better! I have night sweats too, what a pain! I'm eating healthier and walking almost every day, and so far I have been losing weight. Yea! Hang in there everybody, we can do it.
yorkielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:07 AM   #13  

There is also a newer drug called Avandia. It helps your body use its own insulin to help control (at least) type II non-insulin diabetes mellitus. They also make one with Metformin called AvandaMet. You might ask your MD about these or maybe make an appointent with an endrocrinologist. They specialize in patients with diabetes.
Craigster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:44 PM   #14  
itsforme

S/C/G: 189/174/140

New to the site and insulin resistance. I also live with hypothyroidism. Have been battling this weight for 5 years now, and finally have an answer as to why nothing is working.

I am currently not on any prescription medication for the insulin resistance, but rather medical supplements. I am scheduled for my next round of fasting bloodwork next week and will better be able to compare the previous, to see if my diet ( South Beach ), exercise and supplementation is working.

I know I have lost 10 pounds on SB in the past 6 weeks, which took me 18 months previously to lose 12 pounds...needless to say I'm thrilled!

I'm just beginning to understand this whole insulin resistance issue. Anyone with any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
itsforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 11:33 PM   #15  

I've been on a low-carb diet guided by a nutritionist (experienced in helping IR patients) and lost 55lbs this year.

I did however have several LONG weight loss plateaus that were getting infuriating, and a few months ago I was put on metformin to help stop the hair growth- but it also seems to be shortening the plateaus I once ran into.

There was a period of two months where I spent 6 hours at the gym a week, stuck to the diet and still didn't loose a pound. That one was the worst- even though I was told an occasional long plateau like that was "normal". Once I took the metformin the weight dropped again and I haven't stalled as long.

Low carb is definately the way to go diet-wise. Carbs translate to blood glucose, which is the root of all evil if you have IR. My nutritionist has told me to think of carbs as poison, which isn't far from the truth if you think of it!

Good luck!
subcriminal is offline   Reply With Quote